Most accurate .223... LIGHT...bolt action??

Lavan

I am looking for a .223 bolt that will shoot moderately well at 100 yards. 1 to 2" is fine. Looked at a 24" Rem 700 that had a fairly stiff trigger but it was CRISP and seemed that it would be fine.
Anything lighter? The shop used to carry the CZ but they don't any more.

Recommendations?

MUST be .223 as I have literally ammo can after ammo can of GI ball and want to use it up.

:confused:

Lavan

The one I looked at must have been the SPS as it was VERY reasonably priced. Any drawbacks to that model? Is the trigger adjustable for weight of pull?

Lavan

Tikka looks GOOOD. Receiver looks very stiff. NICE!

Wonder if any local Sacramento shops carry the line? Hafta start callin around.

rgitzlaff

Adjustable trigger

If you don't like how heavy the Rem 700 trigger is, you can adjust it yourself very easily. Do a search on the web and it'll turn up exact directions to how to do this safely.

Lavan

First Freedom .... Meant light in weight. I am selling a varminter that I got when I didn't ...really....want it. I have the jillion rounds and a Mini-14 that groups ..oh..9" at 100. Wanted something more accurate. GOT one more accurate that is so heavy I never take it anywhere. Thus want the lighter gun.

hoghunting...Thx for the link. They got the Tikkas. After dealer added markup it might be more than I got for the varminter. I'm cheaping out on this as it's sort of more a surplus ammo "plinker" although I would rather have the Tikka. But the 700 is well within the weight as I hefted it and although an ugly as sin piece of black banger, it would fill the bill and they want the price that the Tikka is even WITH their markup.

I will call around and see. I ...doubt.....a Sacto gun shop would actually HAVE a neato rifle. But stranger things have happened.

Thx for the opinions. Gonna finally have a ...tote-able...rifle instead of a tack driving pipe.

:D

FirstFreedom

629 shooter

I am looking for a .223 bolt that will shoot moderately well at 100 yards. 1 to 2" is fine.

Well , then the 700 you looked at should meet your requirements. I had considered the 700 SPS as plinking rifle myself. The Tikka T3s I have handled seemed very nice but I can fully inderstand that they exceed your budget! You might check out the Savages with the Accu-trigger too. They should fall into your budget range like the 700. Good luck!

hoghunting

Lavan,
I don't know the rules and laws in CA, so if this doesn't apply, just ignore it. In many states you can purchase a firearm from another dealer or supplier and have it shipped to an FFL holder. Then you pay the FFL dealer for the transfer fee. You are not buying the firearm from the FFL dealer, he is only transfering it to you. In my area many gun shops charge $50 dollars for the fee, but the pawn shops with FFLs only charge $25. You would pay thegunsource for the rifle and shipping, and pay the dealer for transfering the rifle.

If the price is still too high, check www.gunbroker.com as they have some used Tikkas at very reasonable prices.

tINY

I believe that Rem chambers the Model Seven in 223. It's got a 20" lightweight barrel and should come in at around 5 1/4 pounds before you put a scope on it.

-tINY

Lavan

I'd prefer the 22 or 24 inch barrel. I still have the Mini-14 to blow my eardrums out with.

:D

Gonna keep lookin. Have NO idea why I bought the Savage 12 Varminter. 322 pounds plus da scope. FUN to carry.:mad:

Still gonna use the Nikon scope from the Savage on whatever I get. Actually I like that Savage Accutrigger and could use the same mounts.

Only reason I'm cheaping out is because I am pissed at myself for spending the money for the varminter and ...REFUSE.... to add anything to what I get for it "used."

Lavan

I also notice on the Remington site that THEIR .223 is 1 - 12" twist and everyone else is 9".

Would 12" stabilize that lil pip?

:confused:

Clayfish

Just make sure that you get a gun with a 5.56 chamber if you are going to shoot that GI ball. It can be dangerous to shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

Ramcharger

OK I may be wrong NOW. But as I recall many people on the CZ forum where dissapointed that thier CZs wouold not shoot the heavy bullets accurately. Seems they worked best with the 55g or lighter bullets.
But this was a few years ago when I wanted a CZ527 carbine. Maybe they are better now?

tINY

Here's a thought. Rebarreling a Savage is cheap and easy.

Get a 22" barrel with a lighter taper.....

-tINY

Lavan

I did a swap. Put the varminter on consignment and it sold in a week. Now the new lighter stainless composite Savage is on the way and all the papers are filled out.

Kept the old varmint Nikon 4.5-14 which may take the weight up a bit but nowhere NEAR where it was on that axle on a log.

10 more days.

:rolleyes:

Lawyer Daggit

I have personal experience with the Remington Model 7 or CZ 527 and can vouch for both.

The latter has the advantage (?) of taking a box mag.