Mossberg MVP Patrol. Good backup for the AR?

JeepHammer

The 'Super .22' has been around since the .218 Bee, and shows no sign of going anywhere anytime soon.
The .223 Rem/5.56 NATO will be with us for the next 100 years or so, simply because of surplus military ammo & fired cases, and the sheer volume of firearms currently chambered in the round.

Cases in point, .45 ACP, 9mm Para/Lugar, .30-06, 7.62x39R, .308 Win/7.62x51 NATO,
There isn't a real shortage of .45-70 Govt. And it's been how many years since the military dropped that round?...

The .223 is a 'Varmint', round... Small, light, fast, low recoil, inherently accurate in it's original form.
There will always be a following by target & varmint shooters.

As for bolt vs auto-loading, it's up to you...
Both *CAN* be accurate.
I won't get into the type of AR clone shooter I normally see, we all know the stereotype already, and it's accurate...

I shoot AR varmint rifles, right along with bolt action, and I rarely use more than a 10 round mag.
I simply don't have a use for high cap mags since I AIM every shot and don't click off rounds just to hear noise.
I don't participate in 'Speed Gun' competitions but I do build speed guns for the guys that do.
(Shooting pistol size targets at pistol ranges is hardly a 'Sport'...)

As for the MVP, I get the same complaint from every owner, the mag wobbles and doesn't allow the shooter to lay prone very well.
(Again, short mags help, so do synthetic mags)

Until someone makes a long mag well, metal mags are going to wobble.

I understand the MVP can be accurate, but most known shooters say Mossburg barrels are hit & miss in quality. I don't know personally since I haven't owned one, just worked on several.
I know early on they had a keyhole problem, which was corrected.

KevininPa

Ban the AR type rifles and the 5.56 lose's popularity? Make me wonder why they got them for in the first place The high capacity magazine's? Maybe the ability to fire off rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger? Doesn't matter what rifle you fire the 5.56 in, it's still a 5.56.

This really does sound like people get it for little other reason than high capacity mags and rapid fire!
I'm honestly not into thirty rounders for bolts or pumps. I have a Remington 7615P pump. Fun rifle to shoot. Can use a thirty for it if I want but it's actually a pain. Typically I use tens at the range and keep a couple of twenties for it for woods bumming. Better balance and handling.

Nunya53

Just to add to the confusion, Kansas dropped the 23 and larger caliber a few years back and is now "centerfire". Growing up in Kansas, I thought the 23 and larger was reasonable. Haven't hunted with a .223, but I'm sure it's fine...just not for me.

Jerry

taylorce1

Nunya53 said:
Just to add to the confusion, Kansas dropped the 23 and larger caliber a few years back and is now "centerfire". Growing up in Kansas, I thought the 23 and larger was reasonable. Haven't hunted with a .223, but I'm sure it's fine...just not for me.

Jerry

Thanks for the update, I knew my info was a little dated. I don't mind the allowing the .223, but centerfire opens a lot of doors. Now cartridges like 17 fireball are perfectly legal, however it is now up to the hunter to use good judgement. Like I said the .223 is perfectly capable using proper bullets and good shot placement. However, it is far from perfect for use on medium sized game.

Ohio isn't ML and shotgun either. It hasn't been for a decade or more at least. You had to shoot your 45-70 cartridge out of an Encore until a few years ago, but now you can even use a rifle.

taylorce1

johnwilliamson062 said:
Ohio isn't ML and shotgun either. It hasn't been for a decade or more at least. You had to shoot your 45-70 cartridge out of an Encore until a few years ago, but now you can even use a rifle.

Thanks for the update on Ohio. When I posted this list I said it was out of date, it was printed originally about 2007-2008. Looks like Ohio is still only straight walled cartridges .357 to .50 caliber, which again while banning the .223 still bans many, many more powerful cartridges than most of the cartrige options available for rifle hunting in OH. So I'd now categorize it as a state like IL and IN.