Mossberg joins the AR world...

jgcoastie

The MSRP listed on their web page has them around $900... I'm guessing the prices at the dealer will be around $750-$800.

10-96

Hmm, the more the merrier I guess. It'll be inneresting to see how their product line expands over time. And I like that they put an extended pistol grip on at the factory. I don't have big hands, but I really don't like the standard/original/GI type grips. And, are those free-float tube mounted front sights as good as the barrel mounted ones? Those always looked about half hinky to me.

sigshepardo

I'm going to steer clear of this one. I have seen bad quality control with mossberg too many times. That reduced price must come from somewhere...

vikingextreme93

If manufacturers continue to flood the market with AR's I may just end up buying one. At some point the market has to become so saturated that the price drops across the board, or am I wrong in this thinking?

Technosavant

And I like that they put an extended pistol grip on at the factory. I don't have big hands, but I really don't like the standard/original/GI type grips. And, are those free-float tube mounted front sights as good as the barrel mounted ones? Those always looked about half hinky to me.

The free float ones can be good or they can be useless. You don't pick up much accuracy with one on a goverment profile 16" barrel, so I'm a little amused that they spent the money to go with one. As for the pistol grip, I tend to prefer the Magpul MOE, myself.

I am also wondering what corners got cut; the higher end rifles with a free float handguard like that are running no less than about $1200 or so... I wonder if they went UTG for the handguard and sights (functional, but heavier than necessary and not always to the right spec). Generally, there's nothing on it that looks all that special.

It should be fine for somebody who wants a plinker.

If manufacturers continue to flood the market with AR's I may just end up buying one. At some point the market has to become so saturated that the price drops across the board, or am I wrong in this thinking?

Hard to say. There's already a bunch of competition, and the price differences are generally because that's what it costs to make things to a certain spec. The cheaper stuff is cheaper due to different materials, different levels of quality controls, etc. I don't know we'll see prices drop all that much because they're mostly already to the level where "that's just what it costs." I'd expect the glut on the market is going to drive out of business some smaller makers who do not differentiate themselves.

My guess is that Mossberg decided they wanted a piece of the AR pie and just started buying parts from somebody to which they apply their own rollmarks.

handgunfan101

I have noticed in my area starting about 2 years ago the AR's were pretty high. Now they seem to be coming down pretty quickly. I am associating this due to the multitude of manufacturers that are starting to flood the market.

Good+ it has brought prices down
Bad+ now we have some manufacturers that are putting out shelf space fillers that are complete trash.

rickyrick

Wait a minute, I smell something fishy.....

885 - 921?? Is a cheap AR with suspected quality issues?

Thats not the same price as a Mini14,

Technosavant

Id rather have a Spikes or BCM

Show me somebody who wouldn't.

This isn't for people who are willing to shell out for the top shelf rifles that cost a few hundred more. It's for people who can't or won't do that, but might be willing to pay less for something functional but not top of the line.

Of course, they'll still insist they bought "just as good as," but there's nothing that can be done there.

It's a budget AR at a budget price, not a top notch one at a top notch price.

oneounceload

Show me somebody who wouldn't.

This isn't for people who are willing to shell out for the top shelf rifles that cost a few hundred more. It's for people who can't or won't do that, but might be willing to pay less for something functional but not top of the line.

Of course, they'll still insist they bought "just as good as," but there's nothing that can be done there.

It's a budget AR at a budget price, not a top notch one at a top notch price.

Which is the same idea behind their shotguns and how they market them, so it sounds reasonable to have the AR at this price - question is - WHO is actually building it? Is it Mossberg? Or someone else?

sir_n0thing

A bit like, say, McDonald's vs Culver's burgers. McDonald's is cheaper and lower quality, but will fill the void if you're hungry.

Sent via Tapatalk ~Android~

FrosSsT

Everyone here is judging so soon

Has anyone even shot one yet? I agree with every sceptic on here that mossberg is probably introducing a rifle that wont live up to most of our standards, but at the same time I have a little bit of faith. We cant be judging someone we never got to know and the same thing applies here. Its the new AR on the block, and we cant judge it until we shot it.

zombieslayer

Hmmmm.... How much are the Mossbergs? $900? I do believe you cab get a Spikes for that. And i dont consider Spikes a top shelf gun by any means. But if a conpany that builds nothing but ARs makes one for the same price as one of the marketing scam Continenral rebadges, why not buy the one from the AR company?