Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

Kmar40

Both work well.

I carry a 14" 870 sometimes at work. I have 500s at home.

I prefer the ergonomics on the 500 and the lighter weight. Almost every pump or auto shotgun designed in the last 50 years has an alloy receiver (Brownings, Franchi, Beretta, Benelli, FN, Winchester, and Stoeger of the top of my head, probably more).

Just go check them both out and see which one feels the best or otherwise tickles your fancy. Of course the same goes for looking at a Winchester, Ithaca, or pretty much any other shotgun. The Chinese crap is the only thing I avoid.

loverme85

JMR40, this is still a ridiculous premise.

When you exchange money for a product, there is an contract that implies that the product will perform as promised. If this is not the case, the manufacturer owes you a disclaimer before you give them your money.

This is a ridiculous premise RC601962. I understand where your coming from, but if this were the case there would be disclaimers on everything.This didn't whiten my teeth wheres the disclaimer crest?

srkavanagh6621

personally i havent had much luck with mossberg but i do own a couple 870's one wingmaster and one express and both are good guns! Somebody said to look into the benelli nova and i woudl agree with that! i Like my nova with 3.5" capabilities much more than the both the remington and mossberg! hope that helps, you wont go wrong either way!

Maromero

I've never been disapointed with a Remington gun, ever, and that's five shotguns: two 870, a 11-87, a 3200 & a 1100 20 gauge.

loverme85

I own 6 870's (wingmasters and trap grades). The older 870's are just flat out better shotguns than the 500's, esp in the sense of fit and finish (which from the sounds of it your not concerned about fit and finish). If you get an 870 don't buy a new one. If you want a brand new gun then choose the 500.

556A2

I guess all the Remington 870 Express models I've bought in the last few years (4 last I checked) must have been defective.... even though people were still saying how bad they were. :rolleyes:

I also guess all the other Express owners in my extended family (about 8 870 Express models between 3 of them) also must be defective as well. :rolleyes:

I also guess all the shooters I know that own Express models all have these crappy shotguns that are going to quit working too. :rolleyes:

I also guess everyone complaining about the Express didn't want to pony up the cash for a Wingmaster or Police...... then they complain about the cost-cutting measures. :rolleyes:

It is COMPLETE BS.

I'm not saying you can't get a lemon from Remington, but most of these so called issues are directly related to the user, not the actual shotgun.

I bet most are "sticky/pitted/rough" chambers that people failed to remove all the factory preservative or were using Winchester Universal shells.

briandg

I have two old 70's vintage mossbergs right now. I've never fired either of them. What I do know is that the mossbergs I have are not remotely as mechanically solid as my 870 shotguns have been. Poor finish, poor fit, poor manufacturing.

Thanks to those, I'd never even LOOK at a mossberg. But, that may be totally irrelevant thanks to the 30+- years difference between the company then, and now.

oneounceload

Remington takes advantage of their customers because they know we can't return a firearm like we can a stapler

Sure you can, and just as easily.

Either will have issues now and again, most work just fine. You only hear BAD news on this forum or others when it comes to these two models. There are MILLIONS of both out there - now and again, bad ones get out - both companies have reps that will take care of any issue.

Find the one you like and buy it - then go shooting

trooper3385

For what it's worth, my department is issuing Mossbergs now instead of the 870. We have been carrying the 870's since the begining of time, but now there replacing them with the Mossberg. I'm not too sure on the reasoning behind it yet. The price was about the same on both, so it didn't boil down to money. They do quite extensive testing before switching firearms, so I'm guessing the Mossberg came out on top.

FEG

For what it's worth, my department is issuing Mossbergs now instead of the 870. We have been carrying the 870's since the begining of time, but now there replacing them with the Mossberg. I'm not too sure on the reasoning behind it yet. The price was about the same on both, so it didn't boil down to money. They do quite extensive testing before switching firearms, so I'm guessing the Mossberg came out on top.

Salesmen make good money for a reason. You'd be surprised how often I was able to sell a Nissan to a Honda owner just because they liked me. Sentras may not be THAT much cheaper than Civics, but that didn't hurt, either. ;)

Jack Bauer

I appreciate all the responses. I'm going back tomorrow to play a little, check the fit/feel and go with what suits me best. I see a new shotgun in my future! Thanks everyone!

DHart

BrianDG
I have two old 70's vintage mossbergs right now. I've never fired either of them. What I do know is that the mossbergs I have are not remotely as mechanically solid as my 870 shotguns have been. Poor finish, poor fit, poor manufacturing.

Thanks to those, I'd never even LOOK at a mossberg. But, that may be totally irrelevant thanks to the 30+- years difference between the company then, and now.

Brian.... your bias from decades ago is not serving you well. Thirty-plus year old samples are definitely irrelevant in judging the quality and reliability of today's new shotguns. Today's current production Mossberg shotguns are of excellent quality, well-made, and are exceptionally reliable shotguns. If they weren't, Mossbergs wouldn't be as wonderfully popular as they are and have been for so many years.

FEG
Salesmen make good money for a reason. You'd be surprised how often I was able to sell a Nissan to a Honda owner just because they liked me. Sentras may not be THAT much cheaper than Civics, but that didn't hurt, either.

The Texas State Trooper's decision to switch from Rem 870 to Mossberg may very well have had nothing to do with the "sales job".

It seems more than likely that the decision was based on the product and not on some salesman's smoke 'n' mirrors act. :rolleyes:

trooper3385
They do quite extensive testing before switching firearms...

Jack Bauer
I appreciate all the responses. I'm going back tomorrow to play a little, check the fit/feel and go with what suits me best. I see a new shotgun in my future! Thanks everyone!

Gary, let us know how it turns out for you! Consider too that there may be excellent models which would be ideal for you that Gander Mtn may not have in stock right now. Take your time and make sure you select a model which is excellent for you.

For example, you can get the 500A Persuader with blue finish in both 18.5" six-shot and 20" eight-shot versions. Or Mossberg 590 models (in blue or parkerized) with each of those barrel lengths as well.

If Gander Mtn. doesn't have what you really want in stock, just order it up and have some patience!

For a home defense shotgun, I'd lean toward the 18.5" 500A. I like the blue finish myself and the size/weight of the 18.5" six-shooter is noticibly nimbler and a bit more "wield-able" in close quarters than the 20" model. I don't feel short changed for capacity a bit with the six-shooter. I have both the 18.5" 500A (in blue) and the 20" 590 (also in blue) and while I love them both... I'd give the nod to the 18.5" 500A for in-home use.

Also, you can get a 500A version which also includes a pistol grip as well, which while I don't recommend for general use, can be a nice option to have under some "special" circumstances. ;)

Last edited:

SigP6Carry

To Brian:
I actually have a 70's Mossberg and I found it to be more mechanically fit than newer 870's myself, it just feels more positive when you rack it, although it suffers from the classic mossberg wiggle.

Jack Bauer

Well, I went to a different Gander Mountain today, found the 18.5" Mossberg 500 Persuader for $249. Played with it for a bit, tried the Benelli, which I actually liked, but the Mossberg just seemed like it was waiting for me. Funny thing, when they did the NICS check, I got delayed. If they don't call back within five days, I get to go pick it up anyway. I don't quite understand it...I can buy a handgun and pick it up after the 48-hour wait, no problems...but for the Mossberg 12-gauge (and an AR-15 I bought a couple years ago) I get delayed for five days! I should be able to pay for, and walk out with, a long gun immediately. Sometimes the law makes no sense whatsoever!

Anyway, no matter what, by next weekend, I'll have a new Persuader. Pictures will follow!

DHart

Jack... errr, I mean Gary!@ congrats on your new shotgun!

Sorry to hear about the delays... sheesh!

But I'm confident that you will be very, very happy with the 18.5" Persuader. I know I love mine and trust it completely... hasn't failed me in any way with any ammo year after year after year. Awesome gun at a really great price of $250!

Looking forward to the pics.

Glock_19

Glad you went with what felt best to you because in the end only YOU have to shoot the thing. I was in a similar boat recently and ended up going with a Benelli Supernova based soley on the fact that it felt like an extension of my arm, the ergonomics of the Benelli for me were flawless.

Jack Bauer

OK, since I've gotten a lot of good advice here, I have another piece to throw into the puzzle:

What do you guys know about a Winchester Defender 1300? I have a chance to get one at a really good price, and two shotguns have to be better than one, right? All I've seen so far are pictures, but it looks really good and we're working out details to meet so I can look it over in person.

Any thoughts, recommendations, warnings...?

JNewell

= improved Winchester 1200. Lives on as the FN TPS pump. Dependable, usually very under-priced for what it is. Lots of parts and accessories still available, though a little less than the 870/500 platforms. Sort of unique (for a shotgun) rotary bolt that locks into the barrel extension, sort of like an AR-15. If the price is right, go for it.