Mosin Nagant sporter (lets see if i can rile people up)

I'm all for saving a few pieces of history but well I'm thinking most mn rifles that I would mess with would be in a shape where most collectors wouldn't be interested.

Webleymkv

i've got some rare wwii memoribilia here, let's chop that into pieces as well!

(someone had to do it)

If we were talking about an Argentine Mauser or No. 5 Jungle Carbine, I'd cringe a bit, but since literally tens of millions of Mosins were made, I don't think there's much danger of all the good ones getting hacked up.

kozak6

If we were talking about an Argentine Mauser or No. 5 Jungle Carbine, I'd cringe a bit, but since literally tens of millions of Mosins were made, I don't think there's much danger of all the good ones getting hacked up.

If he were talking about hacking up a Finnish M39, Remington or Westinghouse M91 or a 91/30 sniper I might say something... Otherwise hack away...

Yeah, I've seen some of those all chopped up :(.

Whatever you do, make sure you check every single marking on the thing before you permanently modify it. Make sure to pay attention to markings under the tang.

Although it's unlikely, if you stumble across something rare, it would be foolish to ruin it when you could potentially flip a profit large enough so you could afford the rifle you really want.

FrankenMauser

Why limit yourself to a stock blank? Why not just buy a big old log of your chosen wood and whittle whatever type of stock you like out of it? Look, I know it can be done, I never said it couldn't. All I'm saying is that in order to get a M-N stock that looks even remotely close to a "sporter" you're either going to have to go with an el cheapo plastic one or invest more time and/or money in a wooden on than you would on another platform.

I have not found any of the common stock makers inletting blanks for a M-N, charging more than $35 for a set-up fee ($15-25 is more common). That extra cost is negligible, in my opinion. ...And some of the companies don't charge extra for a M-N inlet.

And I do have two giant sections of quilted maple trunks, and about 350 lbs of cherry waiting to be turned into stocks and grips. ;)

You may not see the reasoning behind such actions, or the justification of a $25 inletting fee. ...But other people do.

As to chambering options...
I've been playing around with 9x54R, lately. Rather than the Euro version with a .366" diameter bullet, it uses more locally accessible .358" projectiles. It's superior to the .358 Win. But... It'll drop right in a M-N, with a rebarrel, and magazine modifications (approximately 1.5" has to be widened, from the shoulder to the tip of the bullet; the rest of the magazine, follower, and guides can be left alone).

For people that don't want to pay to have the magazine modifications made, it sounds like a stupid idea. For people that have the motivation to do it themselves, or understand the appeal, it's not bad at all.

Anyone considering wildcats based on the 7.62x54R is very likely to already be very aware of the unique case dimensions, and complications arising from them. However, it's no different than having a standard Mauser action adapted to a magnum chambering. Bolt modifications, magazine modifications, feed ramp modifications, and follower mods get pricey very quickly on a Mauser, as well.

For those of you 'contributing' negatively to this thread:
If you don't want to work on a M-N, just say so. Don't tell other people they shouldn't, because it's not a Mauser/1903A3/Enfield/SKS/AR/Win70/Rem700/Mini14.

Cheapshooter

well the timney triggers have a safety on them so that would cure the safety problem. Might be something im going to have to look into.

Don't think I'll be putting any $100 triggers in any of my $90 guns. I enjoy shooting the old milsurps just the way they come.

RwBeV

There you go stirring it up again Matt, but you got me thinking. I see no reason that we couldn't do something interesting with a MN. I need to get one in my hands to see what the limitations would be. I might be able to get my hands on a 6.5 Krag reamer. I also have a 219 Zipper Imp. reamer. You have been in my shop I have a good supply of files, hammers and a hacksaw what more would you need. The best way to get me to do something is tell me that it cant be done. I have seen what you are capable of, I wouldn't worry to much about all the negative comments and build what ever you like, you have the talent and I have the 12lb sledge.

Bob

hmm 6.5 krag now that might be fun. I was going to ask you next time i came over if your friend (the one with a 20 krag lightning or whatever it was) knew anything about the 25 krag or 25 krag improved. looking at the dimensions i think anything based off the krag would work ok. I also think we could make anything based on the 30-30 work with some attention given to the bolt face (hmm 38-55 anyone). We will have to see if we can get our hand on one so we can actually see what they are like and what we could do.

RwBeV

Ya I built him a 25 Krag Imp on a Winchester Hi-Wall, it sure makes a nice quarter bore. I think I have a 25 bbl I will check when I get back from NM.

Don P

well i would rebarrel any way so wouldn't really matter.

From the work you want to do and parts change out, replacements sounds like you have too much time and money on your hands.
Are you doing it just because you can?
Having the skills you say you have why not do a build up from scratch.
I have 2 MN's and they are a hoot to shoot as is.
I have found synthetic stocks, scope mounts and scopes, and bolts all for some short money here, www.tickbitesupply.com
Not looking to offend anyone but I can't see cannibalizing a MN to be left with virtually nothing of the original rifle.

the reason i would do this is that because it would be the cheapest option for an action. A good mauser action is likely to be over 100$ so a MN would be the cheapest option to get an action for a custom gun.

hornetguy

Why go to the Krag for wildcat cartridges?
Why not rebarrel with whatever caliber you wish, .25, .264, 7mm... whatever, and just reform the Russian case? No mods needed for the magazine, or bolt face.
I will bet that existing reamers are available, if not, they can be made. I imagine a 6.5X54 would rival the 6.5-06, if not "beat" it. What would a .35 or .40X64 be like? A good elk rifle? Blow it out straight, modify the magazine some, and as was mentioned, chamber the 45-70.
These rifles are pretty cheap, and about as rare as Ford Focuses. (I've got one of those, too)

i was thinking the krag just because i liked the sound of the krag. Sounds like brass might be a pain in the arse to get for krag tho so i might just build something off the x54 not sure yet.

hornetguy

Of course brass is slightly difficult to find at a decent price for the russian, as well. I was fortunate enough to have bought several boxes of Sellier and Bellot ammo when it was about 6 bucks a box for 180gr softpoint.
It's not bad brass at all. Not benchrest quality, but... neither am I. :rolleyes:
Norma brass is just stupid expensive. :barf:
I'm not sure if Starline is making it, or not. If so, that's what I'd go with.

i have read about a couple of conversions of a MN to 45-70. Thats kinda what i was thinking about at first as a brush gun but now im thinking more of a 6mm or 25 cal varmit/deer truck gun.