Mosin Nagant alternatives?

headbangerJD

I am looking for an 'old-school' rifle, similar in style and price to a Mosin Nagant. Are there any affordable alternatives to the Mosin? All similar rifles that I've come across (springfields, m1 garand) seem to cost 10x what a Mosin can be had for.

chris in va

Actually a decent Garand can be had for about 3.5x what the Mosin costs.

You may want to look at a Mauser for roughly $250. That's the best I can come up with.

csmsss

The Mannlicher Carcano bears a fairly strong resemblance to the Mosin Nagant, and is arguably more pleasant to shoot. Dunno about ammo availability and price of the 6.5mm Carcano round, however.

Bigfatts

How about a British Enfield of some sort? No4 Mk1's can be had on the cheap, often under $200. They can be had even cheaper if you find one with a cut down stock. They are quite accurate, strong actions, decent sights, etc. Much better than a Mosin, whatever the flavor. Next step up would be some sort of Mauser. I would go for a 96 in 6.5x55 if you strictly want a shooter.

tater134

Turkish and Spanish mausers, Enfields, Arisakas, Carcanos, and other can all be usually be found for less than $250 unless they are a rare variation or in exceptional condition.

Actually a decent Garand can be had for about 3.5x what the Mosin costs.
69.95X3.5=244.83.
Where the heck are you finding a functional, let alone decent, Garand for under $250. To my knowledge a decent Garand will run you at least $500, and that is being liberal with the word decent.

kdf101

When you consider both the low cost of the gun and the cheap, plentiful ammo, I don't know of a cheaper alternative. I would think a Yugo Mauser would be the closest. I like the Enfields, but ammo can be harder to find nowadays.

chris in va

69.95X3.5=244.83.

Ok, where on earth are you finding Mosins for $69.95 including shipping, tax and transfer fees?

Mine was $130 four years ago. I was a little off stating 3.5x, should have said 3.95 or so. Sorry for the miscalculation.

Bamashooter

the last one i bought about a year ago was 110 dollars including shipping and transfer. i woul;d have to say either a yugo mauser or a jap arisaka would be about as cheap, maybe a british 303.

pelo801

there is always the steyr M95, that can be had for about $100. but the ammo is a whole different animal. so i would say the closest would be some sort of mauser.

zombieslayer

For around $200-350 you can get a Swiss K31. They have a straight pull bolt that's sort of a work of art. And 6rd detatchable mags. The 7.5 ammo is nowhere near as cheap or available as Mosin ammo, but the 7.5 stuff is all pretty high quality and is still common enough. I have 2 mosins, love them. But I have to get a K31 sometime. They're supposed to be very accurate rifles.

raftman

Why not just get a Mosin? While it's not hard to find a rifle of the same class and of equal or superior quality to a Mosin, finding one that's equally affordable (especially when taking into account ammo prices) is pretty much impossible. The closest you'll probably get is a Yugo Mauser, and pay twice as much for the rifle, and the ammo, though relatively affordable, still pricier than 7.62x54R.

Kreyzhorse

I don't know that from a price point, you'll find any thing out there but a Mosin. There are of course more expensive mil surplus rifles, but the Mosin is a great buy. Mine was in excellent condition and is a great shooting rifle.

taylorce1

J&G has them for $69.95 in quantity. Otherwise, AIM has them for as little as $79.95.

With shipping and transfer fees you would still be into the rifles for a little over $100 each no matter which way you go. Unless you hold a C&R license.

Flipper 56

I would go for a 96 in 6.5x55 if you strictly want a shooter.

With all due respect comparing a Swedish Mauser to a Mosin-Nagant is a bit of a stretch :eek: I have both. There is a bit of a recoil difference and I won't even discuss the visual difference. Both are accurate but if you want a Mosin just go for it. Beware of Mosinitis however, you usually just can't have one. :D

raftman

One rifle you can often actually get for the same price as a Mosin (we're talking in the $90-$150 range) is the Steyr M95. But ammo is very hard to find and very expensive.