More balderdash on the 50 BMG rifle

Found this gem on the 50 BMG from a college newspaper. Note the exaggeration and hysteria:

COLUMN: Lawmakers should outlaw military rifles

Updated: Thu, Jun 21 12:00 PM EDT

By Jason Bennyhoff
The Battalion
Texas A&M U.

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- A recent article in Rolling Stone reported an entire subculture of Americans dedicated to sniping and the use of ultra, high-powered, military firearms. In the story, backwoods frontiersmen posing as normal people, take out their adolescent aggression by discharging powerful firearms, evidently for "fun."

They lie on hillsides, peppering steel targets with bullets from nearly a mile away. Among the weapons, they use are the Armalite AR-50 and the EDM Windrunner, both .50-caliber sniper rifles manufactured to kill people and pierce armored vehicles from thousands of yards away. And to do this, they did no more paperwork than an 18-year-old buying a pellet gun at a local sports store. The scary thing is that the story is true, and the weapons of near mass destruction these men use are legal.

A number of lawmakers, including Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., are working to change that, however. These legislators are promoting a bill that would reclassify these behemoth rifles for military use only, making them nearly impossible for an average citizen to buy. Inevitably, this effort will produce a backlash from conservative gun lovers. Nonetheless, these guns must be banned for the safety of the public.

Gun advocates, including John Burtt, chairman of the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association, say there is no reason to criminalize the use of these weapons. Burtt states, correctly, that there is no record of a .50-caliber sniper rifle, such as the Windrunner, being used in a crime. However, there was a time when there was no record of an assault rifle being used in a crime.

Once upon a time, it was legal to buy and own a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) -- this turned out to be a mistake police departments the across the nation would live to lament. After the invention of the gun, gangsters realized its potential uses, and some of the most colorful characters of the era, including Bonnie and Clyde, used them against police. Granted, large sniper rifles weigh between 25 and 40 pounds, making them much heavier than a BAR, and they fire far slower. However, these facts make it less likely they will be used in an armed robbery and more likely they will be used by a lunatic at the top of a college bell tower.

Charles Whitman did not have a .50-caliber rifle to shoot during his infamous rampage in Austin. He could only shoot passersby with ease, not armored car drivers. But he also did not have an automatic weapon. Whitman used precise shooting with bolt-action, hunting rifles for the majority of his killing. One only can imagine the destruction he could have wreaked had he been using a rifle designed to shoot straight through a brick wall rather than simply fell a deer in the forest.

One would assume that the Brady Bill would have outlawed weapons such as these, but instead it applies only to assault weapons -- what the bill defines in part as "weapons not operated by lever, bolt, slide or pump." Hence, these large bolt-action rifles are exempt from the bill.

Considering the controversy that surrounded the Brady Bill, it is unlikely that this latest measure to restrict firearms will pass, especially with a Republican in the country's highest office. America can only sit and wait, hoping that the .50-caliber's unblemished crime record stays that way.

Drizzt

And this person calls himself an Aggie??? :confused:

I know a lot of Aggies who would be more than happy to have a little talk with this youngster. The shame! The heartbreak! I would expect something like this here in Austin at UT, but not A&M..... I had thought maybe, at least A&M would uphold the fine traditions of TX schools, but even this once proud university has fallen. Is homeschooling available for college degrees, yet?

bookkie

It amazes me how these turn into military sniper weapons, when they were invented by sportsmen who wanted to better everyone else at the range. I know several people who shoot them. Heck, they even built a 1,000 yd. Range near where I grew up just for them. Seems that some people (such as these) just can't stand to have someone else be able to hit a 1" group further out than themselves. It's called competition. They ban these and someone is going to come up with a .4999999 caliber rifle that will do the same thing. I have no doubt that these will eventually be banned. It scares our politicians that they may be the target of a nut case. What they don't realize is, if a nut wants to get them from long range, there are other rifles out there that will do almost as good as a 50. Wish I could get mine before they are outlawed. Don't know what I'd use it for. Can't see that far anymore even with a scope.

David Wile

Hey folks,

Poor Mr. Jason Bennyhoff's article complained about the slow firing bolt action 50s. I would hate to be the one to break the news to him that they also come in semi-auto. He might be so depressed he would have to take the pipe. I have no need for a 50, but reading Jason's article just makes me want to go out and get one and send him a picture of me pretending to use it. I really do not think I want to fire one of those boys at my age anymore.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Scott Conklin

I still need six months to be able to afford one. I really wonder if it will be that long before a sniper conveniently shows up with one on a tower or crane and neatly whacks a couple soccer moms for maximum news coverage.

Guess it depends on how fast they can find someone willing to make the sacrifice. And no, I don't consider that paranoid, merely realistic.

EOD Guy

It's curious that the rifles are always referred to as sniper rifles. The Barrett Model (??) was first procurred by the Army for use by EOD units as a remote fuze disrupter on dud munitions, not as a sniper rifle.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hate to be the burster of bubbles...

...but thems what can afford to buy and feed .50 cal rifles are less likely to rob banks than to sit on the boards of them.

Were I into "banning" things, I'd look into banning alcohol on college campuses. Not only does it cause far more deaths per year than all those .50 caliber rifles; it apparently causes melodramatic, ham-handed attempts at "journalism", too.

JimR

backwoods frontiersmen posing as normal people
ROTFLMBO!!

If I'm just easily amused, I'm sorry, this just struck me as funny/idiotic as all get out! The people I've met at the range shooting .50 BMG's all seemed like normal people to me. I think I could even have detected if they were well-disguised "pod-people". They certainly were not obviously "backwoods frontiersmen". Nary a hint of buckskin nor any coonskin hats.

Where do they get these reporters? If this college newspaper represents the farm team, no wonder the big city local fishwraps are such pieces of garbage.

10CFR

longeyes: r.e., 'floundering mind':

"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."

-- Vice President Dan Quayle

:D

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
What would a backwoods frontiersman DO with a .50 BMG? What an idiot.
He deserves to be derided on a scale only General Discussion can provide. Look for it there.

Steel

I am an A&M graduate and can confirm that there has been (and evidently still is) a Leftist element at the Battaliion newspaper and here and there, on campus.

The mile target hysteria is stupid. Fire your .357, 30-06, etc. at 45 degrees, or so and fire...probably approched a mile for point of impact ! ?

Charmedlyfe

Screw the e-mail. Someone send me a PHONE NUMBER to the office so I can discuss this with the editor/faculty advisor. A few corrections should 'help' his grades......

Please send this to my e-mail. This is worth the time and cost of the call.....