Money pit rifles

Willie Lowman

A good friend and I were out shooting last weekend. We both had our Noveske AR15s out. Mine has a EOtech on a Dominator II mount, Troy Ind. rail, and vertical grip... His is a 10" SBR with a AAC M42K. It also wears a Daniel Defense rail with some kind of Surefire flashlight and a AFG. An Aimpoint Comp M2 and 3x magnifier, and one of those ready mag things on the side of the receiver.

I give him endless amounts of grief about how much crap he has hung on an otherwise light and handy little rifle. It is his rifle and it is his crap to hang on it as he sees fit. He now doesn't hesitate to remind me of my SCAR that is slowly being accessorized. I have been down this road before with a RRA, adding more and more crap before getting sick of the extra weight and removing all the extras.

So we both have a money pit rifle. How about you? Think we should have spent all that money on ammo instead? Have an "everything but the kitchen sink rifle yourself?"

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've never been much in favor of hanging doo-dads on my rifles. I'm more of a hunter than anything else, though. For home defense, keeping a rifle lightweight and maneuverable is a priority. From a tactical standpoint, a light on a rifle merely informs a Bad Guy of one's location. Bummer, that. :)

Pahoo

It's Tacticool

So we both have a money pit rifle. How about you? Think we should have spent all that money on ammo instead? Have an "everything but the kitchen sink rifle yourself
I always tease my Black-Rifle friends about installing a cell phone and coffee-maker adapters. I like to tinker but they make more adapters, rails and mounts that a fellow can understand. I recently sold one that frankly, I could not identify it's purpose. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Patriot86

In my mind you have three basic types of semi auto rifles.

1: Light class, 5.56 or 5.45 or even pistol cal. 10~16" barrel, kept light and optimized for.short to medium ranges. Keep it simple, unmagnified optic and maybe a light or laser.

2: "Heavy". Either 5.56 or 7.62, 18~20" barrel, bipod or VFG bipod combo, magnified optic, laser, designed for medium to long range, not designed for CQB.

3: The "Hybrid". A combo of what is listed above. Not optinal for CQB or long ramge. Could be a 16" AR with a 6 power scope or a SCAR 17 with an EO tech, laser amd surefire.

All three have a place. Rifles are like cars some people leave them alonr when they drive off the lot, some people add alll sorts of aftermarket doodads.

I will admit I have a SIG 556 rifle that I consider a hybrif, its all decked out for your woodchuck killing pleasure.

The rifle I keep at my bedside is as light amd simple as possible. I am even.thinking of adding tritium sights and a laser then removing the optic.

Kimber84

I know everyone has their own interests and likes... But I never could understand pimping out and otherwise useful rifle... Seem like they just get really heavy and cumbersome.

Now, if you're planning on rolling into a combat zone I can understand. It's just that I have buddies that have lasers, lights, and the whole shebang loaded up on there guns and all we ever do is shoot steel.

That being said, its just my opinion and I have no issues with people decking out there guns, after all some of them do look pretty bad arse... Lol

Patriot86

I am gaining a new appreciation for lasers on a rifle intended for home defense. Unless.its a HD or Combat rifle(range toy) I dont see the utility.

arch308

I keep my AR simple and don't care for all the toys. The only money pit anymore is the ammo. Thank goodness I reload and had a good stock before all the maddness started.

Pahoo

10/22 Money-Pits

By my measure, another Money-Pit rifle is the lowly Ruger 10/22. Usually does not start out that way nor expected to be such, like the AR types. All too often that is the case but not for the same reasons as the AR's. Many of us, like to tinker and have pumped a bunch of money into these sweet rifles. Nice thing about these, is that we can tear them back down to Wally issue. I have to shake my head when I see a tricked out 10/22 walk into a gun show for I know he will never get his money back. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

tahunua001

I had a money pit rifle once. I paid $150 for the barreled action then got it home and found out it was a remington 1903A4 sniper. so I bought as much USGI parts as possible and then found out I bought parts for 1903 instead of 1903A4 so I went back to the drawing board and got more stuff and then got everything slapped on to find out that I was still missing a lot of small parts and then I decided I'd go with irons and bought a set of those until I saw that it shot touching groups at 35 yards. then I went with scope and mounts. then I just kept buying part after part until I found myself getting rid of the rifle before I spent any more money on it. it had nothing to do with accessories... but it was still a moneypit all the same.

SC4006

I don't have an AR or SCAR or any of those evil rifles, but when I do get one in the future I want just a plain old AR15 with no attachments at all, just plain A2 style iron sights is all I need.

Bacteriophage

I figure that as long as it remains a functional rifle, spend your money on whatever makes you happy with it. If you can't get to the range often enough but want to tinker with your guns, accessorizing is fine. Most of my failed accessories end up on another gun eventually, so it's not wasted money. At least, that's what I tell myself.

The comparison to cars is perfect. Suping up or restoring a car isn't practical, it doesn't get you from A to B any better and costs more than a basic car, but it's a fun way to tinker, has some practical benefit, and gives you something to talk to like-minded people about. Money well spent, I say.

Drhc116

I agree that they can become money pits. I have 2 ARs that used to have the quad rails, optics, FG, lights etc. I have since come to realize that I do not need nor want any of this. I have converted both of mine back to original configuration with standard forearms. I only have optics on one and the other is iron sights only. Love the light weight.

zukiphile

Pahoo said:
By my measure, another Money-Pit rifle is the lowly Ruger 10/22.

Indeed. In some ways, the 10/22 is worse; one can take the entire thing apart without any specialty tools, and if one is really in a lather to spend money, there are bunches of vendors who will accommodate.

I doubted the wisdom of that hobby when I spent more than the purchase price of the basic rifle on a Kidd trigger.

csmsss

A guy at work (and I'm not joking) asked me if I knew of anyone that sold mounts that would allow him to attach a GPS unit to his AR.

Naturally, I had to mess with him, so I told him to glue it to the gas block. For his sake, I hope his stupidity doesn't run quite as deep as actually doing that.

Onward Allusion

10/22's are freaking money pits. Buy the dang thing for $250 and easily drop another grand on it and you're still not done! They are just too easy to mod and there's soooooo much out there. It's just wrong wrong wrong that Ruger designed something like that. :eek:

stubbicatt

This might not fit here as it is the semi auto page, but I'm building a custom rifle on a BAT action. Action alone is $1,300. By the time I am finished, I reckon I'll have between $4 and $5k "invested" in this rifle, dies, brass, and assorted gizmos.

I have moments of clarity in the fugue state. Fortunately for the progress of the build, they are infrequent.

Nemsis

A guy at work (and I'm not joking) asked me if I knew of anyone that sold mounts that would allow him to attach a GPS unit to his AR.*Naturally, I had to mess with him, so I told him to glue it to the gas block. For his sake, I hope his stupidity doesn't run quite as deep as actually doing that.

Not really that stupid when your on patrol or on a hunt in the middle of nowhere.

http:// http://troyind.com/%20/plastics/butt-stocks/troy-nav-stock

chadio

Noveske - good stuff :cool:

I guess my 'money pit' rifle would be the PS90 - not in terms of attachments & gizmos & doo-dads, but - the ammo is priced higher per ounce than gold, or so it seems :D

The only thing "on" my PS90 is the red dot sight ...