S&W 686

Ruger Blackhawk

T/C Contender handguns

Browning A-5

Sako L61R

Remington M40A-1

Last edited:

5whiskey

I second the mentions of Glock, cz75, Beretta 92, Mossberg 500, the AR15, and the six series of river revolvers...

I'm amazed there has been no mention of the Savage model 10/110 for inexpensive accuracy, the Remington 700 for history (Carlos hathcock anyone) and popularity... And I would also say the ruger lcp for the first true pocket pistol for the masses.

Pathfinder45

In my view, the only, "modern classics", are those that emulate something from a classical time. Like a Winchester model 70 Classic. Even the very terms, "modern", and, "classic", don't mix well together. There are no classic rifles with plastic stocks. And to put a plastic stock on a pre-war Winchester would be about like lipstick on a pig. That being said, there have been some excellent firearms made in the, "modern", era; whatever that is. The Ruger single-action revolvers come to mind as an example of a firearm that honors something from the classic age of the Old West while setting a new standard of modern excellence that the common man can afford. The Marlin 336 is another example, having been introduced in 1948. It is a rifle that would be anachronistic to the Old West, yet it looks close enough that I have seen versions of it in any number of episodes of, "The Big Valley". Most folks wouldn't notice it, but I'd bet I'm not the only one here that has. The new Winchester model 70 Alaskan looks fairly correct with its rear sight-boss on the barrel.

FITASC

HK P7
Glocks (as previously mentioned)
Remington XP-100
Ruger #1
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Model 60
Beretta semiauto shotguns from the 303 to the A400
George Hoenig rotary action rifle
AR and AK
S&W 52
S&W 41
Steyr AUG
Remington 700
Remington 870
Remington 1100
Mossberg 500

Sevens

I find this to be a very oddball discussion because there seems to be but -ONE- post that even attempts to define what it is that we are trying to discuss...?!
In my view, the only, "modern classics", are those that emulate something from a classical time. Like a Winchester model 70 Classic. Even the very terms, "modern", and, "classic", don't mix well together. There are no classic rifles with plastic stocks. And to put a plastic stock on a pre-war Winchester would be about like lipstick on a pig. That being said, there have been some excellent firearms made in the, "modern", era; whatever that is. The Ruger single-action revolvers come to mind as an example of a firearm that honors something from the classic age of the Old West while setting a new standard of modern excellence that the common man can afford. The Marlin 336 is another example, having been introduced in 1948. It is a rifle that would be anachronistic to the Old West, yet it looks close enough that I have seen versions of it in any number of episodes of, "The Big Valley". Most folks wouldn't notice it, but I'd bet I'm not the only one here that has. The new Winchester model 70 Alaskan looks fairly correct with its rear sight-boss on the barrel.
Even the original post offers very little beyond birth date (post WWII) on the definition of what we are hoping to list or discuss.

My knee-jerk reaction? The .S&W ".38 Master", the three variants of the Model 52. And if the Model 52/52-1/52-2 qualify, then you must make a serious argument for the Model 41 (and 46.) And if get free license (it seems like that's what all posts are doing anyway :p) then for me, there is nothing post WWII that even approaches the true Performance Center from Smith & Wesson, the amazing handguns that came from this "magic in a bottle" department of the classic American gunmaker from the years (roughly) 1993 to 2012 or so... roughly... maybe.

Information on the real Performance Center* is few and far between, seems very clouded in mystery. Many models... all of them a blessing on the craft of "production" guns, some of them even far better than others.

*not to be confused with today's marketing gimmicks... plastic rimfire rifles and tupperware "ported Shields" that get stamped with the PC logo and upcharged 15% for having an odd series of "features." :rolleyes:

Chris_B

This was the criteria:

What modern era guns (since WWII) would you guys/gals consider classics now or in the future?

Seems quite clear to me. It is a broad spectrum to be sure, but after all in the realm of opinion a broad spectrum is usually best.

Chris_B

:)

It can be tough

but 'splitting hairs' on the other hand, is fairly easy ;)

This is about opinions, not providing a case for and against. If you feel its a classic since WWII, list it.

Model12Win

Without a doubt, the Makarov PM will someday be considered a "modern classic":

20161127_124215.jpg

Keep in mind this gun is still in widespread use in Russian by the military and police, as well as many Eastern European countries, Middle Eastern, African, and Asian countries as well.

Baba Louie

S&W 29 and 39
Colt Python
Stoner ArmaLite
Kalashnikov AKM
Ruger Standard (MK I)
Beretta 92
CZ 75
HK MP5
HK/CETME G3
FN FAL
M14/M1A
IMI Uzi

Out of all of those, I have never owned an Uzi or MP5 and only the neutered SA versions of the long guns. Some clones. I wish I owned all of them still, but...

I think all post WWII, all Classic in one sense or another

Ruger 10/22. Mine is 40 years old and still works like a champ.

Ruger P series pistols. Built like a tank and run forever.

AK-47. The most mass produced rifle in the history of mankind. Rugged, and even with horrible maintenance will work time and again.

M-14. A great reliable rifle. Too bad in the era of assault rifles it was a dinosaur. Yet it was called back into service in Afghanistan.

Henry .22 lever action rifle. Accurate, reliable and just plain fun to shoot. Who didn't want to be a cowboy?

Mossberg Shotguns. I especially like my thumb hole stock Model 835 Turkey gun.

Ruger PC9 or PC4 carbine. A sweet rifle to carry with your duty pistol. Interchangeable magazines.

Marlin Camp Carbine in either 9mm or .45.

lamarw

There are also special runs of some standard guns that create a classic. There are many out there, and I will mention only one. It is the Mountain Gun Series in different S&W revolvers. I have on in a Model 25 in .45 Colt. There are also some in .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum.

NateKirk

People listing a lot of pre-WWII guns.

I guess I think of "classic" the same way as "iconic," but this would be my list:

Glock 17
Beretta 92
AR-15
AK-47
Remington 870

Tony Z

As OP, maybe I should have added more qualifiers, but do personal opinions make classics?

How about what are the guns from that same time period that are most eagerly sought? What is it about those firearms that make them prized? The Remington Mohawk has been mentioned, and though I find the rifle ugly (beauty in the eyes of the beholder), this rifle popularized short actions (popularized is the operative word). Same criteria can be applied to the Ruger 10/22, as the the genre of similar guns that followed. By no means the first, but a game changer.

Maybe we can figure out the correct search criteria for GunBroker and similar sites, to determine what guns are sought out. But does popularity make a gun of modern manufacture a classic?

lamarw

The thing with the Remington Mohawk is it was only produced for a short period. I don't know but it may of been because it was not a good seller. The production period was 1971 to 1978 or 79 dependent on what source you research. It was also subject to a recall for guns prior to 1975.

It is now somewhat desirable since it turned-out to be a very accurate relatively small carbine size rifle. It would never make the market in this day in age with the advent of the black plastic rifles.