Modern classics

Tony Z

What modern era guns (since WWII) would you guys/gals consider classics now or in the future?

We all know about pre-64 Winchesters, pre Remlims, SAA Colts, etc., but how about listing some favorites? For me, it would be an Ithaca Featherweight in 20 ga., Savage 24 in .22 mag over .410, CZ Model 452 to start.

Ramey

I would say the Beretta 92, the Hk MP5, and maybe the Colt snake guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surveyor

S&W

Cz 453,527

Sako vixen,deluxe,L 461

Browning A5,

Hi standard supermatic ciatition,victor,10-x, (Hamden, Ct manufacture)

Colt woodsman,

Ruger service and security six

Remington 40-x

As well as the others that have already been listed.

Skans

CZ 75B - and similar models
Glock 17
All steel S&W autos
Desert Eagles (large frame)
HK P-series autos (P7M8, P7M13, PSP, etc.)

I did not include 1911 or Hi-Power because they both are pre-WWII. I did not include any modern revolvers because I don't think there's any one dominating revolver and there isn't enough difference from DA's that pre-date WWII.

jmr40

Gotta' include the 1911 and Browning High Power.
Both were common well before WW-2 as was the S&W 10, Colt SAA's, Ithica shotguns, and the Browning A5. I don't think of Pre-64 Winchesters made after WW-2 as particularly good guns. Mostly over rated.

The Ruger 77 series gets points for bringing back classic style bolt rifles.

Like them or not the 10-22 has become THE 22 by which all others are judged.

The AR platform. Love or hate 'em, they have served our military longer than any other rifle and have become the most common center fire rifle sold in recent years.

Glocks. Ditto most everything I said about the AR applies.

Remington 1100 and 870. The most used semi and pump shotguns of my lifetime.

Smith 19, not common today, but it revolutionized LE handguns.

Smith 29. Still the best 44 mag IMO.

Beretta 92. Often maligned, and I'd not buy another, but it is a good weapon that served well for 30+ years. That can't be ignored.

DaleA

Like Ramey said you have to mention the Colt Python.

I'd say any of the N frame S&W revolvers would qualify but some of the N frames were pre WWII so might not fit your requirement.

Chris_B

1st Generation Glocks must be there. I don't care for them, but credit where it is due.

1st Generation SIG Sauer P226

Ruger Mark series .22 pistols

Ruger 10/22 rifle

lamarw

I agree with the S&W Model 36 and many of the Model 10, 19 and 66's. I also agree with the Beretta Model 92 and the Sig P226.

To add some not mentioned: Any of the 80 series Beretta Cheetahs, S&W Model 40 & 42 Centennials, and the Sig Model P220. Then you have some of the Colts like the official Police and Police Positive Special.

Classics also have to include the little Browning semi-auto break down .22 with the stock feed tube. The Remington Mohawk is another oldie but goodie for humping a center fire rifle.

Tony Z

What seems humorous to me at age 64, are the number of guns I dissed 40 - 50 years ago (Remington Mohawk, Savage Model 99), but absolutely would love to own today.

Nostalgic ramblings/desires make classics or innovation (maybe second of third iteration of the model?).

osbornk

I have three that should be classics but won't be because they will still be in production after most of us are dead.

1. Ruger Mark Series 22 pistols. Affordable, reliable and accurate since 1949.

2. Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotguns. Affordable, reliable, accurate and the "Glock" of shotguns.

3. Henry 22 lever action rifle. Affordable, reliable, accurate and opened up a new generation of lever action fans.

4. I don't have one but Glocks of any caliber brought plastic and reliable pistols to the market at a relatively affordable price. They will be in the market for many more decades.