Mitchell's Mausers

Erfurter1937

MM

I did not expect much from my $300.00 Mitchells Kar 98 K service select grade and was very happy with the gun. It shoots great. I did not like the polished bolt so I cold blued. GunBroker and GunsAmerica have some nice ones on as well and they are going up in price for a not so great Russian Capture.....Spend some time searching and you will be surprised at what you can find. A vet bring back is going to cost a lot of $$$$$...

Wulfmann

Mitchell's does not restamp the receiver. They weld over all the numbers on all the other parts, grind them down and stamp the serial number of the receiver on those parts.
They are forgeries pure and simple.

You think you like your clean Mitchell's???? Know that anyone and everyone that knows anything about Mausers considers a Mitchell's buyer and ignorant easily deceived person. Show up at the range and we will be polite but don't expect your opinion to be worth a nickel on gun knowledge.

However, they are safe to shoot and pretty even if wrongly finished.

I have seen people innocently advertising them as all matching all original on GB auctions. Most don't sell but when they do I know someone who is clueless about K98ks has just been hoodwinked and someone else is relieved to have dumped a fake.

Mitchell's makes you believe you don't have to do some research, learn a little something about this important rifle's history because you can trust them.
Bottom line, you can not trust them they sell forgeries for a living.

Wulfmann

zombieslayer

I think G&A just had an article praising them. A friend has a C&R and everyone I know says stay away from Mitchell's. Just heresay, but the concensus around these parts is just buy one somewhere else. You thinkin of huntin hogs with a Mauser??:D

medalguy

Knowing all about Mitchell's, my son wanted a Mauser he could take out with his friends and shoot at tin cans. I didn't want him to use my nice 98 so I bought him a Mitchell's. We inspected it on receipt and it's everything said here-- refinished, restamped, welded and remarked, etc., but it's clean and headspaced correctly and he wasn't going to destroy my nice Mauser if he dropped it on the rocks.

Well it does shoot well and it's accurate. That's about all I can say good about it.

dutchy

Interesting reading.
Every time I read a G&A, I am impressed by their ads.
Seeing the content of these posts, I conclude that they are bordering on scamming the customers. In a law suit eager society as the USA, has nobody taken them succesfully to court?
Has anybody talked to Ralph Nader?:eek:

44 AMP

Staff
Mitchells Mausers......

Nice looking, historically incorrect, sort of. They are exactly what they say they are, but what they say makes you think they are telling you something they are not. So they are not technically telling lies.

Their prices are way above what decent historically correct (common) Mausers can be had for. But they do look pretty in the ads!

As far as those who think G&A, Shotgun News, and the American Rifleman are scamming us by running Mitchell's ads, grow up. They sell ad space, to survive. Mitchells money is as good as anybody's, and they aren't in the business of verifying advertisers claims. That would be a consumer reports thing. I'm not defending Mitchell, but they aren't doing anything illegal, just unethical. Buyer beware, and all that. The magazines aren't exactly makeing the kind of profit that allows them to be choosy about who they sell ad space to. Heck, even "male enhancement" products have ads in some of the mags, they are that desperate for the cash.

gyvel

As
far as those who think G&A, Shotgun News, and the American Rifleman are scamming us by running Mitchell's ads, grow up. They sell ad space, to survive

It's not the advertising that bothers me; It's the articles with glowing reviews they give to those that advertise their products in those publications.

As far as I'm concerned, they can accept all the advertising they want from Enzyte or whomever, but when they start writing articles about what a great product Enzyte is and how well it gives you a really big one, then a line has been crossed. In my mind it is something akin to prostitution.:mad:

Last edited:

heirmossy

There is nothing historically correct about Mitchell's k98's. They're RC pimp shined renumbered messes. The Germans NEVER issued a k98 with a bolt in the white. The stocks are horrendous as they've been sanded down to toothpicks. The accessories in the ad pics are Yugoslavian not German. There is more history in an RC k98 than there ever will be in a Mitchell's. If you only want a good shooter look at a Yugo 24/47, M48, M48A or M48bo.
All are good shooters as they were rearsenaled and have beautiful bores.

Elbalawyer

Mitchell's

I bought at 48 that is a real nice rifle. Very clean. Actually nothing special, though. I also have a 98 that is a Russian capture and refinish that I love. Paid less that the 48 and is a much better rifle. Mitchell is overpriced and just not that great a product. If you don't want to clean up a surplus rifle and have lots of money, go ahead. The Luger's are available much, much cheaper elsewhere.

campperrykid

Even the Yugo 48's that Mitchell sold were a complete rip-off. Deceptive but carefully lawyer-proofed ads , useless Certificates and a fancy box.
All for 2 or 3 times the price that honest dealers were charging for the same model of rifle in equal or better condition.

gyvel

Every time I read a G&A, I am impressed by their ads.
Seeing the content of these posts, I conclude that they are bordering on scamming the customers. In a law suit eager society as the USA, has nobody taken them successfully to court?

The gun industry is the last great frontier of unregulated commerce. There are no watchdogs to protect the consumer from scams, ripoffs, and otherwise crappy products that get hyped to the max but don't work.

And the reason for that is that the consumer product watchdog agencies just don't give a fat rat's butt about whether a gun is fairly and accurately described or if a product performs as advertised or whether new handguards for your Ar 15 are made from pressed cardboard. Most, if not all, would just as soon like to see guns disappear.

I'm just thankful we have these forums to expose some of these frauds and scam artists.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
gyvel said:
The gun industry is the last great frontier of unregulated commerce. There are no watchdogs to protect the consumer from scams, ripoffs, and otherwise crappy products that get hyped to the max but don't work.

You obviously don't own any hot rods, or computers, or knives, or stereo systems, or... :rolleyes: