Mini-30 Alternatives

Fishbed77

I found what you are looking for - a 7.62x39 Molot VEPR, and it's on sale for $659 at KVAR (which is a great price for these high-quality semi-autos).

https://www.k-var.com/shop/VPR-76239-01.html

Unless the the thumbhole stock is too
"that evil, "assault weapon" foo-fraw
for you.

Molot also makes a "PIONEER" version with a single-piece hunting stock, but they are harder to find and the price is a good bit higher.

http://www.molot-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/61

Last edited:

The_Jerkman

I found what you are looking for - a 7.62x39 Molot VEPR, and it's on sale for $659 at KVAR (which is a great price for these high-quality semi-autos).

Unless the the thumbhole stock is too for you.

Molot also makes a "PIONEER" version with a single-piece hunting stock, but they are harder to fins and the price is a good bit higher.

http://www.molot-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/61
In New Yorkistan a thumb hole makes a 10-22 an assault weapon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fishbed77

In New Yorkistan a thumb hole makes a 10-22 an assault weapon.

The OP didn't give his location, and judging by his query, it sounds like he is not limited by silly laws restricting cosmetic features - just by his own desires or preconceptions.

The_Jerkman

The OP didn't give his location, and judging by his query, it sounds like he is not limited by silly laws restricting cosmetic features - just by his own desires or preconceptions.
I hope for his sake he isn't. I can only hope the laws change soon here. They are completely arbitrary and absurd.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fishbed77 said:

Unless the the thumbhole stock is too
"that evil, "assault weapon" foo-fraw
Thanks for the suggestion, but that IS far to evil and assaulty.

I want something traditional, but perhaps "traditional" means something different to me than it does to you younger lads.

Molot also makes a "PIONEER" version with a single-piece hunting stock, but they are harder to find and the price is a good bit higher.
Now THAT's a beautiful rifle.

Except for the price. If I could afford that, I would already have just bought a Mini-30.

fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
Ok, then how about the new STG 44 offered in 7.62x39 - all wood and steel!
Seriously?

Again, see posts #1 and 4
Aquila,
I cannot help you, but I am curious about your request. If you dont want a evil looking black gun , then why the 762x39? Why not a conventional looking gun in a conventional caliber. By conventional, I mean 243, 308 or something non-military?

I dont know who makes what these days. Used to be Winchester, Remington and Browning made semi autos for hunting. Well, then that is not what you are looking for... But, I am sure there is a reason for the 762x39 and I am curious as to what that is?

I think you will find, that when steel and wood with a nice finish get substituted for plastic, aluminum and matt finish - (keeping the semi auto requirement) then price is going up. I did check Remington 750 and those are $900. Browning and Benelli are considerably more. None of these serious players offer a 762x39.

Maybe you just have to get a mini30?

Last edited:

turtlehead

Considering there are many of us who want exactly what the OP is looking for I don't get why this niche is not being filled.

Got tired of looking and went all black and all evil. Couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your search!

5.56RifleGuy

Vz 58 with the sporter stock. Lighter than an AK, milled, looks less evil. The century ones are cheap. Im sure you can find a sporter stock online. Thats the best I can think of.

Fishbed77

Aquila,
I cannot help you, but I am curious about your request. If you dont want a evil looking black gun , then why the 762x39? Why not a conventional looking gun in a conventional caliber. By conventional, I mean 243, 308 or something non-military?

I have to agree with the oddness of the OP's request. 7.62x39mm was designed specifically to serve a military role in self-loading firearms, so it's reasonable to understand that the vast majority of self-loading rifles utilizing this chambering are going to be military designs or derived from military designs.

Methinks the OP just needs to alter his preconceptions about what he thinks a rifle is supposed to look like.

The rifles designed to fire this cartridge were designed to serve a particular function, and their appearance is derived from this function.

Back to his question:
So the question now is, what's available in an affordable, traditional-looking semi-auto with a detachable magazine in 7.62x39?

The answer to this question of what's available in an affordable, traditional-looking semi-auto with a detachable magazine in 7.62x39 is an AK (or derivative) or vz.58 (or derivative). These rifles are traditional in appearance for the parameters the OP set up.

Last edited:

P71pilot

I believe these are the only semi auto options available

Ak/saiga/vepr
sks
Egyptian Hakim
Ruger mini30
AR type
soon to be stg44 copy
PTR91 in 7.62x39
Czech vz58/2008

I have an ak and highly recommend them. The cheapest options will be the sks and vz58.

Aquila Blanca:
If you can find Saigas which-due to being listed with feverishly irrational 'market':D prices-often don't sell, for about $600, you might like them. It is all-matching, from the Izhmash factory which manufactured Russian/Soviet AKs.

With its own 10-rd., or with the 15, 20 or 30-rd. mags from SGM, the gun will do everything which any Kalash. derivative or Modified Saiga can do. That's one reason they are called "wolves in sheep's clothing".

Last edited: