Mini-30 Alternatives

For a long time I had the hots for a Zastava M85 "Mini Mauser" in 7.62x39, but the usual source, J&G Sales in AZ, hasn't had any for quite awhile. I was reminded because I just got an e-mail from them advertising a left-handed M85 in .223. Not helpful.

More recently I've been debating the advantages of semi-auto as opposed to bolt action. I like the Mini-30 but it's a bit pricey for me. Not interested in any AK-47 variants -- I'm an olde pharte, and I like traditional-looking rifles (and pistols). So the question now is, what's available in an affordable, traditional-looking semi-auto with a detachable magazine in 7.62x39?

Not looking at an SKS. Been there, done that. Good rifle, but not what I'm looking for.

Targa

I really like my unconverted Saiga that I picked up for similiar reasons. The problem is getting a hold of one now. I know you said its a bit pricey but for what you are describing a mini-30 seems about the only way to go.

rickyrick

Mini 30s really do fit the bill.

I have a min14 and its one of my favorites even over the ARs

I like wood and blued steel

The Minis' wood and metal were hard to resist. I also never cared for any Kalash. derivative until very recently.
Even though the OP doesn't want a Saiga, for You Other 7.62x39 Fans, a Memphis pawn shop last February was unable to sell their "nib" 7.62x39 and .223.

Both Saigas listed at $780, but nobody could accept the much higher total cost required when doing a conversion. Post 'King Obama Ban' prices reflect a very irrational 'market'. Today's so-called 'market' can't grasp the fact that the Pre-ban guns were desired only because of the former price and quality.

In order to sell both rifles, the shop reduced the price $120 on each, and mine won't be converted. Why mess up the most reliable semi-auto rifles, and add to the cost? Those top end Arsenal AKs are built on Saigas.
SGM manufactures mags (made for Unconverted Saigas) in 15, 20 or 30-round capacity, just as reliable as the original proprietary 10-rd. Izhmash.

Last edited:

chris in va

I know you are considering a semiauto, but...

My first x39 was a CZ 527. It was used off and on over the years but the Saiga conversion put it on the back burner while I 'romanced' the AK platform.

Two years later I realized the shortcomings of the AK and sold it, replaced with an AR. But guess what...the AR stays in the safe and my loyal 527 goes with me every range trip, along with it's fraternal twin in 5.56.

Just an observation.:cool:

fourbore

I recommend the cz 527. I have two and both shoot sub moa. The varmint model easy sub 1/2 moa factory ammo.

Comparison of CZ to zastava: The cz is smoother and better finish. Just every aspect of the CZ is superior to zastava, lock, trigger, stock and barrel.

Final straw, the zastava is a push feed with a FAKE cosmetic Mauser style extractor. REALLY! The CZ is a Mauser type action, the zestava is a cosmetic fake. remove the bolts and compare, it is really shocking. I mean to take the effort to fake a Mauser, unbelievable.

T. O'Heir

There's a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact on Gunbroker(lots and lots of CZ 527s there too). Doesn't appear to be current on Ruger's site though. Only the over priced, inaccurate, Mini-30 comes from them in 7.62 x 39 now.
There is/was something called a Russian-American Armory BARS-4-1, manufactured by Izhmash of Russia too. Lotta money though. Bit over $1100USD, if you can find one. Atlantic Arms had 'em.

drobs

Norinco SKS model M or D uses detachable ak mags:

M Examples:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/558262055
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559431067
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/560188772

D Examples:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/560176491

You ought to just get an AK.

Edit, and then there is this monstrosity:

6035599245_bda46b244e.jpg

Australian International Arms M10-A2 7.62x39

Last edited:

bamaranger

hold out

The price on new Mini's is prohibitive, especially when compared to the going price for a new AR or AK. About $100 bucks less....or more.

The Mini30 had its detractors, but I'd recommend holding out for a used one. (mini30), I see them in my area often enough to believe they can be had. I've had one long enough to feel comfortable in advising that they are a useful and practical carbine, and a suitable platform for the x39 cartridge.

With Ruger presently making a 20 factory box, one of the frequent criticisms of the mini30 is met. Aftermarket hi-caps were notoriously poor. Part of the Mini30's accuracy issues can be addressed with quality ammo. And I do believe that most folks expect too much to begin with, from the carbine, accuracy wise. I read often of failure to fire issues with steel case ammo, but my early Bill Cinton era rifle has seen its fair share of import ammo without incident, and is still running, though I do not shoot much steel case from it these days .

marine6680

I have one of those SKS/M rifles...

They are a little rough, as they were probably cranked out quick to get ahead of the import ban.

It shoots well, and is accurate when using brass cased ammo.

Magpul mags need the latching tab on the mag to be trimmed a bit, as they are just a bit too wide to fit. Metal mags seem to work fine, but don't have a wide selection of them to call that a hard rule.

So it's an SKS, and you mentioned not wanting to go that route, but the M models are different in small ways to a standard SKS, and have no military features. The detachable mags in a factory configuration are a neat feature, and not being bubba'ed to work makes them reliable. But honestly the standard SKS with stripper clips may be better, as I like bolt hold open, and the mags do not insert as easily as an AK. Practice may mitigate the last point though.

Last edited: