Mini 14 reliability?

Death from Afar

They are GREAT hunting rifles at close range. I have used mine on wallabies and goats for years, and when you are going up 45 degree hills, its a bit better than a 700P rifle.

JR47

Edward, the Mini-14 uses a modified Garand style gas system. The gas block is far different than either the Garand, or the M14. The closest piece on the rifle to either is the safety.

As far as Mexico using the AC-556, it's not a general issue weapon. Heck, the Turks used the Model 94 Winchester, but you don't see that considered a military weapon. :)

Mannlicher

Folks have accused the Mini-14 of a lot of things, but those that say the rifle is not reliable just don't speak from knowledge or experience. True, there are always isolated incidents, or apocryphal stories, but every Mini I have owned or have had real knowledge of, functioned like the Energizer bunny.

AZ Jeff

......the Mini-14 uses a modified Garand style gas system. The gas block is far different than either the Garand, or the M14. The closest piece on the rifle to either is the safety.
While the gas system on the Mini-14 IS different than that on the M1 or M14, here are the things are are the SAME (or scaled copies) of those same parts on the M1/M14:

1. breech mechanism, including bolt/extractor/ejector, and bolt and operating rod interface
2. firing pin system, including reciever bridge and retracting tail on the firing pin
3. hammer/sear/trigger design and function are the same, so is the safety
4. the way the trigger guard functions to lock the trigger group to the reciever "legs" is the same.

In fact, with the exception of the sights and the gas system, the Mini-14 is a VERY close (scaled) copy of the Garand rotating bolt system, and it's trigger group is a close scaled copy of the M14, less the select fire functions.

JR47

My point is that "based on" doesn't make a military rifle. Just about all of our bolt action rifles are "based on" the Mauser Model 98. That doesn't make them military weapons. :)

Edward429451

Well yeah, your correct technically speaking. The Mini-14 makes a heck of a good stand in for one though, for those on a budget. ;)