Mini-14 is incrementally getting better?

Apparently the latest stock Mini-14s might not be good enough to hit a clay pigeon on a 50 yard berm?

Some of us are satisfied by simple fun.
Most of the targets for my M1A, Imbel and Aussie FALs plus the PTR-91 are pigeons at 50 yards.

Tonopah

New fun rifle. I ordered a wood stocked blue steel Mini 30 ranch rifle, a Samson Hannibal rail, a Leupold Delta Point Pro, and an XL firing pin. I live on a ranch and this should be a fun walk around rifle. Javelina, coyotes and small deer beware.

5thShock

A wood stocked Mini with a 5 round magazine might be passed over when they publish the lists of verboten weapons. Then again, maybe not.

zeke

Have never even shot a Mini-14, but imo, there is a significant advantage to a lightweight, unencumbered and reliable rifle with iron sights close over the bore.

rickyrick

This is mine, bought in 2009 just after the tapered barrel was released.

This is using some VMax from hornaday at 100 yards (walked off to measure so not exactly 100) I also don’t quite recall the bullet weight. I don’t often take photos of groups, but this is typical with good ammunition.

With bulk 55gr FMJ it does not shoot this well, but with good ammunition, it does.

Edit:
Looked at my original posting for this picture, it was 55gr hornaday vmax

attachment.php

Last edited:

WmMunny

C'mon guy, fess up-- you used Photoshop to remove the powder stippling from around each hole in that ttight group :)

Tonopah

WmMunny -- pretty funny! I haven't had a chance to shoot my minis at 100 yard paper yet but I will be pleased with 2 MOA. That would be good enough for me for that kind of rifle.

Dashunde

I have a sample size of one 14 and several AR's in various forms.
I keep the 14 for two reasons.. I have lots of 5.56/223 and its the old looking unassuming woody backup should the absurd attack on AR's worsen. The second reason is simple nostalgia, similar to 1911's, except in the case of my 1911's they're all more accurate and fun to shoot than any of their more capable modern plastic counterparts. The opposite is true for the 14 vs AR.. not only are my AR's more capable they're also more accurate in my hands.

Tonopah

Nostalgia is a valid point. I agree that the AR is more accurate but after having dragged an M14 around in my earlier years I just kind of like a Mini 30 in my hands now a days. Not to say that I don’t have my fair share of ARs in my inventory though.

oldbear1950

back in the 1970s and 1980s I had two Mini 14s, and 5,20, and 30 round mags.
They were really fun to shoot, and back then the .223 and 5.56 were the same cartridge.
They were as fun to shoot as any M-1 carbines I ever shot.
But as far as accuracy goes, could not hit a barn door at 100 yards to save my life.
I got rid of them because of that. From a bench at a shooting range, at 100 yards
could load any mag, and could not even hit a target at that range.
Spray lead, yep, no malfunctions at all, hit a target, nope, not at all

oldbear1950

sounds like a couple of you are about my age, i joined the army reserves at 17 and 1/2,
and went to army boot camp at Fort Ord, CA in October of 1968, and we used the M-14 during boot camp.
In the Reserves we were still using the Garand, and I transferred to the full time US COAST GUARD in 1969, and stayed on active duty to complete my 20 years and the last time I went to the rifle range in 1988, we were still shooting the Garand.
Only the drug interdiction patrols used the ar-15, and 9 mm pistols, every one else still qualified on the 1911 45, and M-1 Garand

rickyrick

Being that I see that you can get a complete PSA upper and a complete PSA lower for $248 dollars total, the AR is coming in for the win. You could swap out barrel, trigger and BCG for better options and still come out ahead.
I still like the appeal and appearance of the min14.
I own 1 Mini14 but many ARs. The one I have is a good one.

Pumpkin

Huh? What "incremental improvements" are you referring to? The only thing I have known them to do to mini 14 was thicken the barrel because accuracy was poor, and add a way to mount a scope (using a proprietary ring design).

It still uses a 1:9 twist meaning you cant go much above 62g without having problems.

It uses steel mags which are heavy and expensive in relation to ar mags. (try $40 for a 30rnd mag off midway)

You can get a budget AR that will perform equally well, that you can maintain yourself without going to a gunsmith with a handful of tools, and customize to your taste or needs, and at HALF the price of a mini 14.

So no, not even close. There have been almost not incremental improvements, and its not even close to competitive with an AR on the basis of features or price.

Nutnfancy has been on the mini 14 band wagon for a while now. He's a bit long winded and has some strong opinions, but there's still a lot to be learned from what he has to share imho. He has more content than anyone that I know of on the mini 14.

mini 14 against the world pt 1, 13yrs ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fk84KLiaa4

Mini 14 against the world pt 2, 13yrs ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKPgJ_ec3Fs

Best mags for the mini 14, 11yrs ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJCdgFfhbk

Special Ops mini 14?, 9rys ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGHeirNh5U

is the mini 14 still a viable choice, 6yrs ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPAPsWYwuJ0&t=662s

Heres why the mini 14 is collectable, 4yrs ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5phIg6MT1Ik
What special tools do you need to work on a Mini 14? I had one years ago and a single cartridge was all that was needed to take down the rifle.

czgunner

I'd buy a mini 14 if they were cheaper. I don't have any reason to own one compared to how good an AR15 is for way less money. Even my VZ58 was less expensive and its more interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Pumpkin

Back in the day Mini 14’s where what you bought when you couldn’t afford an AR.
Times have changed.

ballardw

Pretty much the only year I ever received a Christmas bonus at work ran a bit over $400 so I as able to pick up a Mini-14. I think most AR's were running 700+ at the time.

Red Devil

The current 580 Series, with M193 ball ammo, is a hammer reliable <3MOA 200 yard semi-automatic rifle with aperture sights from field positions.

The stock was a little long, though.

IMG-20210912-110729198-cropped-50.jpg

Red