Mini 14 bashing - what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is no way you can get a ''medium'' quality AR for the price of a mini. you might be able to get a sportical with no foward assist or dust cover.

CMMG sells its Bargain Bin ARs for $599. CDNN just recently offered the S&W M&P15 Optic Ready AR at $699 (with 10 PMAGs and a $100 rebate). Based on a quick look earlier today, plain Mini-14s are selling in the $660-700 range.

Bamashooter

thats right, bargin bin, not medium.. plain mini's go for around 600. the only AR you will get for that is a piece of crap.

Katophract

I got a screaming good deal once on a Mini. $300 for a heavy matchgrade barrel...and scope. I shot it a couple of times, found it remarkable accurate. However, I still hated it because it was heavy, complex, unreliable and most importantly, It was Ruger. It's a gun company that didn't support 2nd A rights. So, as per capitalism, I won't support them. Most are not as accurate.

A cheap AR will out shoot it. Be more 'fixable' more 'modifiable' and lighter.
A cheaper AK will be more reliable, more fixable more modifiable.
Magazines. accessories, optics.

thats right, bargin bin, not medium.. plain mini's go for around 600. the only AR you will get for that is a piece of crap.

Here is the specific CMMG rifle. I wouldn't consider either it or the S&W to be a piece of crap; but I suppose some might.

plain mini's go for around 600.

The cheapest I found in an online search was $648 from Impact Guns for the blued, wood 18.5" version with a 20rd mag. Impact also has a Bushmaster 16" AR15 for $770 - which if CheaperThanDirst is any indication ($34 for factory Ruger magazines), you can make up that price difference in the cost of 5 Ruger factory magazines vs. 5 USGI or PMAGs for the AR.

Microgunner

I've owned two Mini-14s. Both were reliable, neither was accurate. Mini-14 sales have dwindled to the point that Ruger has introduced a piston AR.

kd7sgm

RW Blue your contention against the Mini is the best I have heard and one that I had never considered before. I was not aware of factory only repairs for the mini although I have not had any problems yet ( better find some wood quick) but your answer is worth consideration.

amd6547

I built my AR, which is a retro M16A1 clone using a surplus GI Colt upper, for less than $500. With it, I can hit a clay pigeon at 100yds, one shot, one pigeon. I could hit clay pigeons with my old mini 14...if I laid them on the ground and smashed them with the butt.
I later found a slightly used Bushmaster 16" HBAR upper for $150...now I can switch configuration on my rifle and make it a shorty in seconds....and I can hit clay pigeons at 100yds with it too.

Snakedriver

By the way, for those who asked:

Mini-14 with a light mounted:

JTJMini_11.JPG

Mini-14 with bipod mounted:

JTJMini_8.JPG

I love my trusty old Mini, it shoots like crazy and does everything the AR lovers say it can't. :D

hivel37

I bought a 181 in the '70's.

It NEVER jammed.

It grouped 2-3 inches or as well as the A2 16" HBAR in the safe now.

I recently traded it for a Ruger No. 1 in 22-250.

It served me well.

kd7sgm

I went shooting clay pigeons yesterday as well, 100 yards with the mini and I only had to use the butt of the gun on a couple of them.:D

silentargus

The only issue I've yet had with my Mini is the spotty quality of aftermarket mags... and boy are some of them bad. I actually had one of the feed lips on a 30rd mag snap while cycling- and I bet the look on my face must have been pretty memorable as the next half dozen rounds got launched straight up over my head! Another time a 10rd mag spat out two instead of one and the spare whacked my Dad right in the forehead. Serves me right for buying cheap mags.

The gun, however, has been great since day 1. Eats everything I've fed it, even some very questionable Southeast Asian 5.56. When I feed it good ammo, it performs well. With crap ammo, a little less so but still more than well enough. Average groups about 3" at 100yd with iron sights. I can't think of anywhere near me where there's more than 150yd of open space to shoot across; if I mounted optics I'm reasonably confident that I'd get more than adequate groupings at any kind of practical distance.

As for other considerations- I'm not sure where all this babble about "complexity" is coming from... the minis are dead simple to operate and break down, tools free. It's no more difficult to disassemble and reassemble than an AR. Since the gas piston is an open system, the gun does get pretty damn dirty. Then again, I've yet to see being dirty affect function, and taking the stock off provides easy access for cleaning.

IMHO, it was worth the $600 it cost when I got it; I don't know if I'd buy another but that's because I already own one. No, the Mini is not a strong contender for the "tactical" role- but neither are 95% of the other semi-automatic rifles out there. It'd be pretty silly to go out shopping for an AR and come home with a Mini, but that's because they're different guns- not because one or the other is inherently better. For an ultra-reliable, low-maintenance house rifle that could be turned to putting small game on the table or whacking pests, there's nothing else I'd rather have.

dagger dog

Another MINI owners veiw;

My KMINI RANCH will feed fire and eject a WATERMELLON into the next county, as long as you use a factory magazine.

You really don't need a scope on a MINI, you can't focus on the cross hairs any way, 'cause your eyeballs will still be BOUNCING around in their sockets, from the slam bang of the op rod against the receiver, a ghost ring sight is much better.

You need a great looking pair of "zorch guards":cool: AKA sunglasses when you shoot your MINI, in low light,or night fire, have you ever seen a bigger FIREBALL.

I don't think you need to BASH any one with a MINI, they will stay shooting under the worst conditions :D

lefteyedom

Camp fire fat chewing history

Me thinks, and I have no proof, that this is the history of the Mini 14.:cool:

In the mid 1960s the M-16 was getting beat up over its performance in Vietnam. That is when Ruger started developing the Mini-14. Someone at Ruger thought there would be major foreign military sells for an updated Garand in .223. Great idea, but history did not turn in Ruger's favor.

Uncle Sam under wrote the cost of M-16s for our Commie hating friends and CCCP did the same for the AK-47s for their Uncle Sam hating comrades . FN sells teams were cutting deals all over Africa for FALS for countries that had reasons to be different.

Well those dream military sells markets never developed for Ruger and the company was stuck with a duck that nobody really wanted.

I am a tender 46 years old, as long as I have been interested in firearms (about 34 years) the Mini-14 rep has been bad. One would think that Ruger would have wanted to fix this P.R. problem.

Unless they never really cared about the civilian market in the first place. :confused:

imp

Take that $600 dollar Mini 14, add a couple magazines and a barrel from accuracy international, and you have a rifle almost as good as a CMMG bargain bin AR for twice the price.

:D

Katophract

It takes a lot for me to defend an AR and in this case, the AR is better in every aspect. Accuracy, practicality (lighter, more fixable, less complicated, etc) and for the money, you're getting a lot more. Also, better ergonomics. I co-teach a firearms class and I've never seen a Mini-14 go through our classes without problems. (next in line is 1911's and then AR's.) Also, it's not that only Ruger can fix them, its that Ruger has a third party that fixes them. So, it's not even ruger working on their own rifles. It seems they have no desire to actually make money. They've done nothing to help their PR and they seem to have contempt for their clientele. I thought an AR is a pain in the butt to clean...:barf:

rickyrick

Well, I finaly got around to clearing 100 yds worth of brush,120 actually for the nay-sayers.

put the mini through an accuracy test first 25 then 50 and so on.... spot on to about 75 yds then at 110yds it opened up to 2 3/4-3" groups...

I was using a mix of monarch and wolf ammo 55gr. I can't find any 62gr.
next time I will use some decent ammo, I kinda wanted a benchmark with the worst stuff

the real issue however, was the mirage in the scope, pretty rough after the first shot and gets worse with each successive shot. I had not anticipated that.
I think that it would do just as well with Irons.

Like I always say, I use the mini at less than 100yds, If I need to AT&T something I have something else.

Swampghost

The Mini bashing has to stop.

I ordered my first one way before they were released. I was younger, hot-rodded it and cracked the reciever at about 4200 FPS. It was not designed to do that and Ruger fixed it for free. Kudos.

Since then I've considered it as a .22 with some extra punch, a roll that all of them have fulfulled well. They were advertized as a 'ranch rifle' whatever that means. I take it as a replacement (at short distance) for the 30-30 Winchester or Marlin, the ultimate 'ranch rifle'.

They do fill a niche if that's your niche. Asking more is your problem.

Mine don't leave the safe very often due to newer hunting restrictions, I do like taking them to the range. My son shoots AK's and AR's @ 100 yds., The Mini's fall inbetween the two.

TXGunNut

I thought it was all in good fun, I figure one is as good a battle rifle as the other. Neither was designed as a target rifle so 2-3 MOA should be acceptable. Several companies have made millions of dollars making and selling accessories for both of them. As was pointed out above some folks expect cheap ammo to perform like target ammmo, good luck with that. ;) I have an AR but would like to have a new mini someday, wish I'd never sold my 180 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.