• MIM parts broken before 5,000 rounds

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • FORGED parts worked fine for over 5,000 rounds

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • FORGED parts broken before 5,000 rounds

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

Jeepmark2005

I was really had the small parts in a 1911 when I wrote this post so no I don't think your slide counts but that sucks all the same. Did Sig replace your gun?

Socrates

Two Kimbers. Ultra Carry II broken safety.
Custom II broken slide stop. Both under 1000 rounds.
Ed Brown IS the answer.

S

Kestrel

JR47 said:
Does a forged slide count? Sig P229, less than 1000 rounds. Cracked.

JR,

The Sig P229 slides are cast (not forged). They are cast by Ruger's Pine Tree foundry for Sigarms.

Jeepmark2005

KESTREL - Thanks for the info. To bad he can't take back his vote against forged parts. But the poll still seems pretty clear that Forged parts are the way to go. I think I have seen enough.

Ramcharger

I replaced all the little parts on my Springfeild Armory 1911 (forged frame/slide) with blued steel Colt parts. WAYYYY past 5000 rounds now. Only casualty is the barrel bushing (the only part I didn't replace BTW) is now WAYYYY loose.:cool:
BTW are those MIM?

Fremmer

Broken slide stop in my Kimber after only 2 boxes of ammo through the new gun.

Replaced with Ed Brown slide stop. Works just fine after several hundred rounds. No other problems with remaining MIM parts.

JR47

The current 2005-2006 slides for the P229 are forged. Sig changed that a while ago, if I'm not mistaken. The slide was replaced.:)

shield20

MIM thumb safety cracked - strong side on an ambi - through the "triangle" just in front of the cross pin. Colt XSE +/-1500 rnds.

Jeepmark2005

I am amazed by how many people are having problems with MIM parts. I did not expect to see THAT many problems. I have to trust my life to this firearm. The more I see, the more I am losing confidence in my weapon. At least with the MIM parts in it.

JN01

In 1981, I was qualifying with the S&W Model 15 at Lackland AFB. When the woman on line next to me fired, the thumb cocking portion of the hammer broke off, flew rearward, and sliced open her ear lobe. Forged part with who knows how many rounds through it.

I am amazed by how many people are having problems with MIM parts.

Yes, because nobody knows what method non-MIM parts were produced by with any certainty and prior to MIM, few people ever took notice except to note that something failed. If you broke a slide stop, you were bummed and simply purchased a new one, or any other part. The mindset was/is that "these things happen sometimes."

Jeepmark2005

Double naught - In my poll I asked how many people had broken parts and with what. I see alot of people claiming broken parts with MIM and very few broken forged parts. That kinda speaks for it self. More people are having problems with MIM then they are with forged parts. That answers enough questions for me.

Jammer Six

Broken SA hammer strut- milspec
Broken SA thumb safety-milspec. It wasn't an ambi.
Broken McCormich thumb safety. Also not ambi.

The only forged part I've seen break was a Kimber frame.

At least, we thought it was forged... We know it was broken.

Kestrel

JR47 said:
The current 2005-2006 slides for the P229 are forged. Sig changed that a while ago, if I'm not mistaken. The slide was replaced.

Hmm. I didn't know that. I wonder why they changed? I didn't think they had any problems with the cast slides, but I haven't been tracking it.

Thanks.

For those old enough to remember, did this kind of stuff (incessant breakages of parts that should last for thousands of rounds) happen in the 40s, 50s, 60s etc?