milled vs. stamped AK

kozak6

Battlefield Vegas (a large range specializing in full auto rentals) says that stamped AK receivers generally last 80,000-100,000 rounds before failure, and that the milled receivers are yet to fail.

That translates to $17,000-21,000 worth of ammo.

While there is a difference in durability, you are not likely to see it.

dvdcrr

The smoothest shooting AK I owned was a milled SLR 95. It was in the top2 for accuracy too. My current setup is a SLR107fr. I think it is the most accurate AK I have had. But for pure smooth shooting the milled rifle felt better.

drobs

Had a milled Arsenal Bulgaria SLR95MB shot the same as my Romanian SAR-1. Sold off the SLR95 kept the SAR-1.

Chainsaw.

In terms of real russian AKs, stamped are better. They started milling them, then as the technology was perfected they moved to stampings. The stamping get a bad rap because people think of stamping as being a process done to save money, which is true but that doesn't mean I cant be done well.

kcub

What about stamped Chinese like Norinco 84S? How do they compare to Russian and Bulgarian stamped?

barnbwt

Hmm, stamped or milled, stamped or milled...stamped is lighter, but generally found on lower quality rifles...but milled is so heavy and inefficient, and still doesn't yield a receiver all that rigid...what to do, what to do../.

<frog pops up head> "VZ...VZ...VZ..."<ducks back under water>

:D

TCB