Migrating squirrels

No reason to Google it, Alex. I covered it in post 15.

The problem w the starving hypothesis is that squirrels examined from the migration were not starving. They were in good shape.

Gunplummer

All I know is when there is a lot of squirrel activity in an area, there is usually deer activity. It seems to work the same way when you don't see squirrels.

101combatvet

All I know is when there is a lot of squirrel activity in an area, there is usually deer activity. It seems to work the same way when you don't see squirrels.

All I know is when there is a lot of squirrel inactivity in an area, there is usually hawk activity. It seems to work the same way when you do see squirrels.

:D

doofus47

I grew in the Midwest, land of trees tall and strong and full of nuts.

The grey squirrels built a nest and buried nuts and didn't migrate at all.

Red squirrels would move in on an irregular basis, usually showing up in summer but probably that had more to do with normal geography spread due to expanding population. If it were a year with no nuts, I could imagine some movement but migration implies seasonal travel with a set direction. That wasn't my observation.

The stampede that NoSecondBest saw is different from my experience. Wonder if he was down wind of a Planter's factory?

Drawdown

Yes they definitely migrate or just move toward food at least the gray squirrels here in eastern Ky. I've seen evidence of it several times. I was in one of my normal hunting areas not to many years ago, aprox 2010-11, can't remember for sure, sitting on a ground blind bowhunting deer. Had been there several hours without seeing any squirrels. Almost at once they were moving all around me, steady moving in one direction. Can't come close to saying how many different ones I seen, but many. This lasted probably 20-30 minutes and they were gone, no more seen rest of hunt. It was a bad year for acorns and beech nuts. I believe that same year they were all over some of the roads, many seen and killed, for several days, then nothing. My dad has seen this also, and it was a very noticeable and large scale one year in the mid to late 60's.

scottycoyote

yep we went thru a migration last year, had a huge mast failure and there wasnt a squirrel to be found anywhere in the area, whether it was residential areas or out in the woods, i literally saw 1 squirrel all season. After 2 decent mast crops they have come back into the area

Mainah

They can migrate into my attic, I know that for sure. 2015 was a bumper crop for acorns in Maine. I park under a huge Oak and all fall it sounded like a drum solo in my driveway when the wind kicked up.