Midsize Options?

2ndamd

Hello all,

I am looking for another midsize option similar in size to a Glock 19/23.

Here is what I have found:
Walther P99 and PPQ
Beretta Px4 Storm Compact (not sub compact)
Sig 229/228
CZ75 D/P-01/PCR
HK USP Compact

As you can see I am not including any handgun with an abbreviated grip (ie G26, SR9c, M&P 9c etc...). I would like a full grip and keep it in 9mm. Are there any other options to consider?
Caracel?
HK P30?

And one little rant...S&W please make a 3.9" barrel, 15 round magazine capacity, that is a tad shorter and not quite as long as your full size M&P and, keep the beaver tail from the full size :) Thank you:D:cool:

TunnelRat

S&W please make a 3.9" barrel, 15 round magazine capacity, that is a tad shorter and not quite as long as your full size M&P and, keep the beaver tail from the full size

But almost none of your options, with the exception of the Caracal that I personally would wait for the market to prove after last time, are striker fired. They're all hammer fired. Is that what you want, or do you want a striker fired pistol?

Last edited:

BigBL87

SAR K2P has a full grip but shorter (3.8") barrel.

88389_2.jpg

FairWarning

You forgot some very worthy challengers:

CZ P07 - My only complaint is the short slide height (yet blocky overall build), combined with a higher than typical effort to rack it. The slimmer PPQ M2 felt like a Cadillac for smoothness in comparison.

HK VP9 - No complaints. Very high on my Next Purchase List, could be my ultimate carry if I don't go with the PPQ.

XD Mod 2 - Only complaint is a VERY tall slide height and blocky build, much like most of their line and most Sig Sauers.

bjw741

Take a look at the Stoeger Couger . . . exact same gun as the Berreta Cougar except now they are made by their Turkish subsidiary with the same high quality but for a cheaper price. Saw one yesterday at Acadamy Sports for $399 (not on sale) and they come with 2 mags. Excellent pistol.

stoeger_cougar45_01201111_zpsfdtnhlpw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

doofus47

XDM has a 3.8" barrel with a full grip.

I like my P99 as (it's in 40, but I shot a 9 while testing and loved that also). I'd probably get a P99 in nine, if I had a second bite at that apple.

marine6680

The Sig P320 compact would be worth a look. Its similar in size to the Glock 19.

So a standard M&P is just too big?

6mm

Carried a Glock 19 for years, now carrying a Beretta PX4 Compact. It's about the same size, just a little thicker.

Uncle Malice

Sig P320 Compact is a good option. If you're considering the P229, the 320 is nearly identical in size, lighter, striker fired, polymer framed, and a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Worc

Lots of very good models in the around 4" barrel length.

Here are the ones I like, with many of them being mentioned already. I own only a few of them.

DA/SA hammer: Beretta PX4, CZ P01 & P-07, FN FNX, HK P-30, Sig 228/229/M11-A1, 2022, Sphinx SDP.

Striker: FN FNS, HK VP-9, Sig 320, Steyr M9-A1, Walther PPQ.

Striker DA/SA: Walther P-99 AS.

DAO: Sig 250 and Walther PPX.

2ndamd

Like many of you I have owned too many handguns over the years and find the G17, M&P9 full size, full size Px4 Storm, Sig 226, SR9, P89/94/91/90/95/93, CZ SP01, CZ75B, etc... to be a tad too big for my liking.

I am learning from you all.
Love the CZP-01, Glock 19 and Walther P99 AS.

I have not tried the Cougar, 320c or PPQ M2 yet. Any experiences with these models?
I liked the full size Px4 Storm and would consider the Px4 Storm compact.
Also, I have not even heard of a SAR K2P...thanks! I will research them more. I have not even held a Canik or Lionheart yet but, hear good things from the Youtube crowd.:D

I was issued a HK USP 9mm for years and found the gun to be accurate and I never did warm up to the mag release. So, HK is kind of far down on my list right now.

I will pass on any gun with a grip safety for carry. So, no XD or 1911's.

Brotherbadger

I'll echo the comments of several others. The P320 is worth a look. It has one of the best striker fired triggers I've ever used. Pretty great gun.