Mexican Drug Cartel Hitmen Given "Green Light" to start Killing in Texas

Crosshair

Legalizing drugs is stupid, most people aren't responsible enough to have easy access to heroin, it would be detrimental to society to do so.
We ALREADY have easy access to Heroin. That's what I'm saying. We are currently in the middle of a Heroin glut as a result of cultivation in Afghanistan. I've asked around where I live as to how the prices of drugs are going. Heroin is now much cheaper than even a few years ago, but still highly inflated in price because of the black market. (Meth is still readily available too despite the cold pill restrictions, it's the high quality Mexican stuff too from what I've been told.) I could have as much heroin as I could afford with just a few phone calls. How is that NOT easy access?

What we currently DON'T have is quality control. How do I know that Heroin isn't cut with god knows what? What if it is laced with Meth, cocaine, etc. How pure is this batch compared to the last batch? People don't OD because they want to, they OD because they get a "hot shot" because they don't know the purity of what they are getting.

Another question, if Heroin were legal would you use it? Are you one of those people who isn't responsible enough? Or are you worried about "other people" not being responsible enough. Just like how the antis believe themselves to be responsible with guns, but they are worried about "other people" not being responsible, so they want to ban them, "for everyones safety".

johnwilliamson062 I am not sure i would agree with tobacco being harder to get than alcohol though. There was always a senior around who would pick up a pack for someone.

I suppose it depends slightly on your locality. When I was in high school people would only buy alcohol and tobacco for their small group of friends. If you were outside that group, they wouldn't buy it for you. They weren't doing it for the money, though they did get a small cut for doing it, they were doing it to "help out" their friends. The illegal stuff, if you had the money, you could get as much as you wanted.

S832

A good number of people still won't try it due to the stigma around drugs and breaking the law, once that goes away nothing is stopping them from trying it and becoming permanent addicts.

shooter_john

not just Texas... We got it AL too

http://www.shelbyso.com/news.php

5 dead Hispanics on one hit. (Luckily I was busy when this one went down... The stench was described by a buddy as "a little overwhelming!"

The conspirators were out about $500K at the hands of the dead guys, and at least one suspect has links to TX/ Mexico.

Crosshair

A good number of people still won't try it due to the stigma around drugs and breaking the law, once that goes away nothing is stopping them from trying it and becoming permanent addicts.
So if Heroin, Cocaine, and such were legal would you go out and try them all? Ah, it's those "other people" that you are worried about. Everyone except me is too stupid to make their own decisions and we need to government to protect them. That is the same line of reasoning that the Antis use on us.

People who want to do drugs are doing it regardless of the law. The social stigmas will remain the same. We have cut the use of tobacco by about 50% and we didn't do it by banning tobacco. We ensure them a safe, uncontaminated supply and tax it to offset the damage it causes our society.

sholling

If these killers end up invading Texas, and causing mayhem there too, how will the state of Texas and the Federal government then react??
As long as it doesn't effect cross border trade and local business bottom lines the Texas state government will look the other way. The Feds will be even more obvious. They will simply deny that it's happening and imprison any border patrol agents and/or local police that interfere with the cartels. SOP.

Darren007

No... the same thing thats stopping them now will stop them from trying it if its legalized. You know...the dangers of heroin use, addiction and possible death.

I said it in my last post and Ill say it again...

You can only stop drug use through education...NOT legislation!!!

LightningJoe

Reducing the price of drugs and increasing their availability will increase the user base. Alcohol is by far America's most problematic drug ("by far" = 1000X) only because it's legal.

Heroin, cocaine, and meth have the potential to be much much worse than alcohol. All you have to do is legalize them.

Enforcing drug laws is a battle. And it will never end. Can't handle that? You won't be able to handle the alternative either.

Crosshair

Reducing the price of drugs and increasing their availability will increase the user base. Alcohol is by far America's most problematic drug ("by far" = 1000X) only because it's legal.

Heroin, cocaine, and meth have the potential to be much much worse than alcohol. All you have to do is legalize them.

I will say again, drugs are already readily available in the US. They are available in every public school, every prison, every city, and every town. If you wanted to do these drugs, you would be able to acquire them. Price has not been a deterrent and in fact the price has gone down significantly compared to what they were in the 1970's

I will ask again, if alcohol is so bad, then why do we not make it illegal?

Answer: We tried that and found it was the worst possible way to deal with that drug. Not only did people not stop using that drug, but organized crime made mountains of money off of the illegal trade in that drug. Corruption of public officials became rampant and violence related to this illegal trade caused the overall crime rate to skyrocket.

Per Capita Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages (Gallons of Pure Alcohol) 1910-1929.

consumptionofalcohol.gif

Total Expenditure on Distilled Spirts as a Percentage of Total Alcohol Sales (1890-1960)

totalexpenditure.gif

Homicide Rate: 1910-44:

homiciderates1910_1944.gif

http://www.albany.edu/~wm731882/future1_final.html

SilentHitz

Is the Mexican government losing the war on drugs there??
They are part of the problem...most of the Govt. is bought off and looking the other way, corrupt as always. They're not at war with the drug lords, they even help by using Military vehicles to get the stuff closer to the border...then let the smugglers do the rest.

This is not new, it's been reported for decades.

S832

No... the same thing thats stopping them now will stop them from trying it if its legalized. You know...the dangers of heroin use, addiction and possible death.

Tell that to everyone hooked on Alcohol or Tobacco, legalizing heroin would only be 100x worse.

Darren007

Tell that to everyone hooked on Alcohol or Tobacco, legalizing heroin would only be 100x worse.

Theres a difference.

Alchohol and tobacco are socially acceptable. This was discussed in a quit smoking class I attended while in the Air Force. One thing you always here is how drug addicts will constantly say is how they were able to quit drugs but not tobacco. Anybody could easily buy a pack a smokes, walk outside, and light up in front of 20 people and nobody would even bat an eye at them. Walk outside with a needle and spoon and inject heroin in front of those same people and theyll scatter like cockroaches and the cops are sure to show up.

Again, only education can curb drug use including tobacco and alcohol. And if somebody still chooses to use. And there will be people who do... Thats their problem. Ultimately, you, me and the government do NOT have the right to tell someone what they can and cannot put into their bodies.

Crosshair

I actually know someone who is smoking cannabis as a way to get off of tobacco. From what she has said it works very well at reducing/eliminating the nicotine cravings. She doesn't have to smoke cannabis anywhere near as often as one does with tobacco.

As for alcohol and tobacco. Tobacco contains one of the most addictive substances, nicotine, which is harder to kick than Heroin.

According to the American Heart Association, "Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break." The pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
Link

Alcohol use results in more violent behavior than many other illegal drugs combined as it inhibits a persons ability to restrain themselves.

LightningJoe

Alcohol and tobacco are socially acceptable.

Not in my house. But that doesn't stop 1/3 of the adult population of the US. Legalize heroin, and it will become a lot more accepted. Maybe not at your house, but down the street is close enough.

Legal drugs (including alcohol) are one kind of problem. Illegal drugs are another. The problems caused by illegal drugs are much more readily handled by law enforcement than those caused by legal drugs. People who think LEOs fighting a never-ending battle against smugglers and distributors is bad just haven't thought it through very carefully. LEOs also fight a battle against the huge numbers of crimes committed by people hopped up on legal drugs, but that problem is much much more widespread. Much much more. If alcohol were illegal and its price were 10X what it is now, smuggling it in from Mexico and selling it on the black market would be a career field for criminals, but there wouldn't be 25,000 people killed by drunk drivers every year and a truly uncountable number of other crimes committed by people under the influence of alcohol. There'd still be some of that, but a lot less because the user base would be smaller.

People who say drugs are already available everywhere are badly confused*. They're a lot less available than they would be if they were legal. The difference is one of degree, but critical.

*Large numbers confuse lots of people. That's the basis of lotteries, etc.

Destructo6

They will become less violent because there will no longer be any money in that market. When was the last time there was a drive by shooting or a murder because of the trade of illegal alcohol in the US? What about cigarettes? There really isn't because there isn't enough money in it. Grey markets are by nature less violent.
Not really. They kill each other over alien loads, so I don't think legalizing drugs is going to do a whole lot.

Crosshair

Not really. They kill each other over alien loads, so I don't think legalizing drugs is going to do a whole lot.

Acording to the governments own figures, people in the US spent:
In 2000, Americans spent about $36 billion on cocaine, $10 billion on heroin, $5.4 billion on methamphetamine, $11 billion on marijuana, and $2.4 billion on other substances.
This is likely a lowball estimate.

So you are saying that by removing over 60 billion dollars from the black market, nothing will change?

I suppose you're right, legalizing alcohol didn't have any affect on the violence rate in the US, we still have Budweiser and Miller shooting each other over distribution rights. Oh wait, we don't. They take each other to court when they have a dispute.

Destructo6

So you are saying that by removing over 60 billion dollars from the black market, nothing will change?

I suppose you're right, legalizing alcohol didn't have any affect on the violence rate in the US, we still have Budweiser and Miller shooting each other over distribution rights. Oh wait, we don't. They take each other to court when they have a dispute.
In the border areas, which is what I believe this thread is about, it won't change. What will change is the item being illegally brought into the US.

Crosshair

In the border areas, which is what I believe this thread is about, it won't change. What will change is the item being illegally brought into the US.
A car full of illegals isn't worth $100,000. A car full of cocaine is. The more something on the black market is worth, the more the profit, the more it is worth killing over. Since when has people killing each other over the trade of illegals become as widespread a problem as killing as a result of the trade in prohibited substances.?

You believe that this is going to stay contained in the southern states?

Destructo6

Since when has people killing each other over the trade of illegals become as widespread a problem as killing as a result of the trade in prohibited substances.?
It happens quite regularly down here.
You believe that this is going to stay contained in the southern states?
Again, I believe the discussion was regarding border states. Here, the drugs aren't nearly worth what they are in the interior, so those values are way off for the smugglers.

TheManHimself

Legalizing drugs isn't the solution. Taking the "War on Drugs" to the suppliers, and making it a real war, is. I say, we give Latin America a deadline to cut the flow of drugs out of their borders and into the US; after which, we take the gloves off. UAVs operating 24/7/365 searching for illicit convoys moving across our border, alerting ground attack aircraft or artillery emplacements to destroy them. Every time an official of a legitimate government in a Latin American nation is killed by the drug cartels, we ID the home of a drug lord and drop a laser guided bomb down his chimney. When seaborne smugglers are IDed, sink their craft with all hands. If we can't block them from smuggling drugs into America, we need to start killing the smugglers and their bosses until there are none left to smuggle drugs in.