Medium Size Kitty

huntinaz

While you guys are analyzing cats. Do think these pictures are of a Bobcat. I just recently got this one on the game cam.

Except for the bobcat looking tail in the second pic, I think it looks like a fox.

JohnKSa

Administrator
In essence a lynx, and a bob cat are the same much like a puma, mt lion, cougar, and panther are all the same. just slight body variations due to thier habitat.
That's not really correct.

Puma, Mt Lion, Cougar, Florida Panther, Catamount, and Panther are all different names for the same species, Puma concolor.

Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis) and Bobcats (Lynx rufus) are distinct species, however they are both in the Lynx genus.

rjrivero

JohnKSa said:
Puma, Mt Lion, Cougar and Panther are all names for the same species, Puma concolor.

Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis) and Bobcats (Lynx rufus) are different species, however they are both in the Lynx genus.

I remember reading an article some time ago about a Hybridization of the two species due to a change in their food sources forcing them in closer proximity. I forget the actual concerns about the hybridization, but the upshot is that they could loose the pure Lynx canadensis and pure Lynx rufus species all together.

jimbob86

I've seen quite a few bobcats...... in comparison to what is in those pics, they are squatty, compact critters...... that stilt legged critter in your pics is not a bobcat, for sure.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
BIGR said:
While you guys are analyzing cats. Do think these pictures are of a Bobcat. I just recently got this one on the game cam.

That's almost certainly a bobcat.

The stripes in the front legs and the tail in Pic2 almost exactly match the picture of the bobcat posted above, which I add below as a visible pic rather than a link:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's another infrared picture of a bobcat I found, looks just like yours, IMO:

IMG_0011.JPG

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

The DNR makes me laugh sometimes at their sheer stupidity and ignorance on subjects in which they should be the leading authority.

If they acknowledge it exists, then they have to "manage" it. If the animal simply "doesn't exist in this state", well, there's nothing to "manage".

Sometimes it's also simply better for the animal if it "doesn't exist".

rjrivero

Art Eatman said:
A quick-glance differentiation between a bobcat and a lynx, other than size, would be the grayer color of the lynx and the larger ear tufts.
The long hind legs in proportion to it's body height, along with the thick fur on the legs are lynx characteristics as well. Helps them chase down bunnies in the heavy snow cover of the great white north.

huntinaz

That's almost certainly a bobcat.

The stripes in the front legs and the tail in Pic2 almost exactly match the picture of the bobcat posted above

Yep, I apparently did not look at the pics very well the first time around. I didn't even see the stripes on the legs, pretty good sign. Also the coloration on the hind legs looks like a bobcat. Plus the 2nd and 3rd pics you can see the head better, it looks too wide for a fox and snout is short too.

Basically, it really doesn't look much at all like a fox, and a lot like a bobcat.

mete

Linx has big feet to help going through the snow ! It was a lynx !
One comment I saw was that a 30 lb lynx has bigger feet than a 200 lb mountain lion !!

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Back some fifty years ago, a family in Fort Lauderdale found a little spotted kitten. They took it in and raised it. But it was a fighting little dude, whipping the neighborhood dogs. In one fight it got a couple of cuts so they took it to the vet. When they got it back, the bill was up around $150. They were shocked and asked why so high.

The vet explained that Florida law required that he pull the eyeteeth and front claws, for people to be able to have a pet bobcat.

VINCENT1

That's not really correct.

Puma, Mt Lion, Cougar, Florida Panther, Catamount, and Panther are all different names for the same species, Puma concolor.

Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis) and Bobcats (Lynx rufus) are distinct species, however they are both in the Lynx genus.

let me know the next time you go hands on with multiple of these. i have hand raised them, and i can say with all honestly. the are similar, they are NOT the same. there are ver certain differences. feel free to come over and i will intor duce you to two here at the house, and a few more that live down the street at my good friends house. i'm more than positive of what i say reguarding large cats. i dont think anyone on this entire board has the ability to challange my personal hands on experience. PERIOD

VINCENT1

Linx has big feet to help going through the snow ! It was a lynx !
One comment I saw was that a 30 lb lynx has bigger feet than a 200 lb mountain lion !!

a 30lbs lynx? that would be less then half grown. and as of yet, i have never met a 200 lbs cougar/mt lion etc. a typical on is 90 while a large one would be 120. i've never heard of one over 150.