Medium size 9mm recommendations?

oldandslow

RA,

A few of the used, high quality guns in 9mm with your specs-

1. SW 6906/04 series- 12 rounds of double stack 9mm, light, accurate, reliable
2. SW 3913/14 series- 8 round single stack, carries great.
3. Sig 228/229/239- pick double or single stack at your option
4. Beretta 92 compact- 13 rounds of double stack 9mm.
5. HK USP compact
6. CZ-PCR and Rami, both double stack 9mm's

Good luck in your quest.

Merry Christmas- oldandslow

I'm a biased CZ fan, so my first recommendation is either the CZ P-01, or the P-07. The P-07 has a better trigger out of the box, holds 15 rounds 9mm instead of 14, and sells for about $450 instead of $550. I prefer the P-01/PCR's ergonomics, but the P-07 is excellent in its own right and sounds better suited to your needs.

If you can find it, the Walther P99 is an excellent gun. It's striker-fired, but DA/SA with a decocker.

All the other DA/SA guns I can think of are just a bit outside your price ceiling (though if you did go higher, I'd still suggest the CGW version of the P-07).

armoredman

If metal, (alloy, really), is OK, then old school for me is one of the best CCW pistols ever made, IMHO, the CZ PCR.

Then again, I'm odd - I've been known to carry this gun concealed occasionally. ;)

ScotchMan

All the good ones have been mentioned. A lot of these are larger than a Glock 19; for some reason, the 5" grip, 4" barrel size envelope doesn't have a lot going on. Most are bigger or smaller.

The PX4 Storm Compact is right there. This is a very underrated gun, especially when you consider the price. Convert it to decocker only and you have the best value in the class IMO. http://everydayloadout.com/beretta-px4-storm-compact.html

img_3338.jpg

The HK P2000 would be another that is that size with the flat magazine floorplates.

The Sig P229 is a little bit bigger than a G19.

I don't have experience with CZs but have heard nothing but good.

campbed

SIG P-239 in 9mm is the best balance of DA/SA, size, capacity, performance for me.

I actually carry it and shoot it as well as any of my full size pistols.

I'm dreaming of a CZ Remi though....

Fullclip610

P07. Absolute reliability and is a really great feeling handgun.
About the size of a g19. I just wish it was a little smaller.

From a pure size/proportion standpoint, I think the Glock 19 is the best thing going. That does not mean its the best gun period, however.

Given your criteria, here's another vote for the Sig 228 or 229. And the S&W 69 series is not far behind.

jr24

I recently did a similar search and decided on a CZ P-07. It hasn't arrived yet but I think its going to work out real, real, nice as a carry gun. Really nice SA trigger out of the box (or, at least at the store) and allows me to carry cocked and locked, which was a big plus.

RAfiringline

I'm the OP and I want to thank everybody for all the competent sensible info.

I wasn't even aware of the CZ p01 before this thread - I ordered one yesterday.

The two things that really impressed me once I researched the weapon, were the rigorous testing it underwent by the Czech authorities (and then it also passed NATO's acceptance tests), and the good reviews it gets from civilian users.

Thanks again

armoredman

You should be happy, sir - I carried my P-01 as my primary for many years. The trigger smooths out with use to the point that I've been accused by a gunsmith of having a trigger job done. :) Plenty of holsters out there, but if you run into a snag finding one, let me know. :D

I'm the OP and I want to thank everybody for all the competent sensible info.

I wasn't even aware of the CZ p01 before this thread - I ordered one yesterday.

The two things that really impressed me once I researched the weapon, were the rigorous testing it underwent by the Czech authorities (and then it also passed NATO's acceptance tests), and the good reviews it gets from civilian users.

Thanks again
Awesome! Just make sure you come back and give us a range report.

One more small thing to note - CZ tends to pack their guns in a heavy grease as a preservative - make sure you give it a field strip & clean before firing.