Maximum and minimum gap in .22 revolver?

Hal

I didn't realize the link that was brought into the thread describing B/C gap and end shake was about .22s as well
The title of the thread is gap in a .22 revolver....

Anyhow - yes - .22 rim fire is a heeled bullet. & I agree there also, that very well could be why they are so filthy.
Although - - some of the Red Dot .357 mag loads I worked up once could give them a real run for the title of "Dirty bird" ;).

Personally, I think close tollerances are from hand fitting and time consumption. Production line revolvers can't be held to that tollerance without being cost prohibitive which gives you .006" - .009". That's why FAs cost what they cost.
I absolutely agree with that....but....I also concluded long ago that B/C gap was/is much ado over nothing.
Chamber to chamber velocity variations can be a whole lot more than a "wide open" B/C gap(not really wide open per say, but something someone would consider as "excessive".)

However - w/FA, I believe a buyer has the right to be on the picky side.

45 Dragoon

Well, I'm pretty sure the bigger the gap, the more loss of energy/velocity (I'm sure Mr.Newton would agree) and that's what I was trying to express. So, with variables already present from chamber to chamber, it seems the condition of the gap would be the multiplier (since it would be the same for each chamber). Even though it may not be monumental, it is still a factor and as you mention, it seems the "Finer" revolvers have the tighter gaps. Likewise, I like to give my customers the best revolver that their particular revolver can be. There is a sense of "refinement" in a close tolerance, mechanically accurate revolver that not only gives the owner a little more pride in their "as new" baby, not to mention the much more durability of the revolver. Sloppy revolvers beat themselves up, close tolerance revolvers are inherited.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just trying trying to point out what I think should be obvious. When stats are laid down (0 this and .00 that) that would be considered the "perfect" situation and a revolver from the mid 19th century can in fact have those conditions (with todays ammo), then, it is what it is. That is at the point that I jumped into this thread . . . . (I pay attention when folks talk B/C gaps/clearances.)

Ok, now . . . . back to .22s ! Lol!! (No hard feelings meant or taken)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Last edited: