Mauser Gurus.........

FairWarning

Looks like a good starting point for a classic sporter. :)

I'd keep it 8x57. You already have a very non-Walmart gun, why convert to a Walmart caliber? It's nice to have a few rare guns.

uncyboo

You already have a very non-Walmart gun, why convert to a Walmart caliber?

6.5 x 284 is a Wal-Mart caliber???

Just Kidding I appreciate the input from all.

I do have a question for the maple stock guys....do you stain yours or just leave them Blonde as can be??? I don't see alot of maple stocks.

TX Hunter

Unkyboo

You can stain it if you like, the color will depend on what you like, but I would use some kind of finish on it, to protect the wood from moisture.
When you sporterize that rifle, you will need a different safety, and a bent different bolt handle to clear a scope. On the Safety, I would leave that to an experienced gunsmith for obvious reasons. also triggers, I will not have a rifle that has had the trigger messed with, I have seen accidental discharges from tinkered guns. be safe.

uncyboo

Stock finish will probably be Tru-Oil/Armor All rubbed in. I was just wondering about color. This stock is blonde blonde blonde. Plumb white wood.

jhgreasemonkey

A nice blonde maple stock is sweet and very classy looking. Personaly I would just do some fine finishing and seal it with multiple layers of a nice semi gloss tung oil. That should give it a nice light honey tint. I've seen a few mausers with blonde maple stocks and they are beautiful high dollar custom guns.

HiBC

If there is any evidence of figure or curliness in your stock,I suggest looking to the old muzzle loader techniques for finishing your maple stock.Visit Track of the Wolf.

A product I have used with success is Maple Magic.I do not know if it is still available.I think an old formula,or method,is Auqua Fortis

When the stock is pretty well sanded out,the solution is swabbed on,then the wood is heated .A good heat gun will do fine.The wood will toast ,with the chemical,to a dark cinnamon brown.

The trick is,if there is figure,some is more end grain,and some is side grain.The stain penetrates deeper into the end grain than the side grain.

So,now you sand again.The more end grain areas stay dark,the side grain areas become light,and you get (if you have figure) that great fiddleback contrast.

I have also found Feiblings leather dyes to be great for toning,Look to some of the medium browns.,or aark brown/sand/medium gold

I suggest,go buy some scrap maple similar to your stock wood and experiment.Your first tries will lead to what you like.
Maple can work up to be really beautiful.