Mauser Gurus.........

uncyboo

I traded for this basket case many years ago and have never done anything with it other than buy the Fajen Maple stock. What do i have here?

Mauser.jpg

If the pic doesn't show well the receiver ring has "PREDUZECE 44" and the side of the receiver says "Mod. 98". This was the beginning of a "Bubba" project and has been sitting in this case for at least 14 years.

warbirdlover

Well a Fajen maple stock is a hell of a good place to start! The 98 action question I can't answer but re-blueing it would be another good thing.

zippy13

I was totally confused by the interesting rib/rail until I realized it was case's hinge. :rolleyes: ... time for more coffee.

uncyboo

OK let me ask this.....

With a decent barrel, can these be built into tack driving varminters or would I be better off building a sporter?

Scorch

You can rebarrel them and easily get a good varminter or a shooter. A&B, Douglas, Shilen sell short chambered profiled barrels for Mausers. I put an A&B 22-250 barrel on a Spanish La Coruna Modelo 1943 a few years ago for a friend, and it is boringly accurate. "Target rifle" may be a stretch, then again if you have the money, anything is possible. It will likely cost more than just buying a shooter rifle like a Salvage or a Remington, but for a retro/classic sporter Mausers can't be beat. Drill and tap for bases, rebarrel, replace the bolt handle, new trigger, blue it, bed and fit the stock, a nice oil finish, and you're set.
DSCN0479.jpg

uncyboo

Excellent. I'm thinking SS barrel from a decent maker, bolt handle, trigger, etc as you say. Just can't decide whether to go heavy varmint barrel or sporter weight in a big game chambering. The stock is unfinished, so it's still fairly thick in the forend. It can be configured to whatever. All the finish work, metal and wood, I can do myself, so can save money there. All I need the smith to do is replace bolt handle, barrel, chamber, and drill and tap for scope mounts.

I currently have in varmint guns a Rem 700 VLSS Thumbhole in 204, a Savage 12 FV restocked in a Boyd's varmint thumbhole in 204, an 18" Contender in 204, a NEF Handi in 204, and a Rem 700 VL in 6mm Rem. So got the little screamers pretty much covered.

However, for bigger game I have a couple 7mm 08s, a couple 280s, a Mini 30, a 30-06, and a 30-338. So kinda in good shape there. Antelope, deer, and Elk are all the big game I hunt.

Too many decisions.

I have been very interested in the 6.5 x 284. I also understand to get the most out of that one a long action is needed. Maybe that's the way to go........

jhgreasemonkey

Sporter it up. Man I sure like maple stocks and the fajen mauser stocks are nice. Make sure and post some photos when you're done with your project.

HiBC

I suggest visiting the Lothar Walther barrel site.They offer some pre-threaded bbls for Mausers at reasonable prices.

Should make a fine hunting rifle

The original bbl might shootOK for big game hunting.An 8x57 will do deer and elk just fine .

TX Hunter

Unkyboo

You can make a varmit gun out of it, but if you want that legendary Mauser reliablilty, you should stay with what it was chambered for, or not stray far from it, because the action was tuned to grab, chamber and extract the 8MM Mauser Cartridge, It would work great with the 7MM also, but when you barrel it to something different it will not be near as reliable, and more apt to Jam, thus defeating the purpose of a Mauser action to begin with. Good luck with your build.:)

dahermit

You can make a varmit gun out of it, but if you want that legendary Mauser reliablilty, you should stay with what it was chambered for, or not stray far from it, because the action was tuned to grab, chamber and extract the 8MM Mauser Cartridge, It would work great with the 7MM also, but when you barrel it to something different it will not be near as reliable, and more apt to Jam, thus defeating the purpose of a Mauser action to begin with.
And, .308 Win., .30-06, .257 Roberts, 6MM Rem., .35 Whelen, .243 Win., .25-06, .358 Win. All standard (non-belted) cartridges based on the 7x57 head size will work.

Roger G

I read somewhere the markings on the barrel all mean Something. Factory is was made in/ Concentration camp/Made for the SS and so on. Worth looking up. Mauser's make excellent Varmiters in whatever caliber.

TX Hunter

PREDUZECE 44 Is not a date, its a Yugoslavian Arsenal Number, the Rifle is a German 98K but it was captured, and used by the Yugoslavians, The Yugos made thier own Mausers, but they were an intermediate leingth Mauser. The good thing about your Mauser is that the commonly available parts will fit it.
I have a 24/47 Yugo Rifle, its great, and a good shooter, but the parts are harder to find, I wanted to buy a spare firing pin for mine, and looked, and as far as I can tell, there is not a single one available in the continental United States.
For your 98k you have many sources, and can get any part you want. Good luck with your Sporter Project.