Mauser Crazy

TX Hunter

I like them Too.
Photo455.jpg

meatgrinder42

Oh yes... quite a Mauser fan, some people say I'm going back to my German roots... I agree :D MY favorite gun is my 1891 Argentine in 7.65x53.

doofus47

I went through my 8mm stage and bought a Spanish M43 (don't believe the hype about poorly made), a K98 and a 30-06 built on a Mauser action, among others.
I loved them all and never had problems with them, minus the time I accidentally decocked the bolt during cleaning which is something that all newbies do at least once.
A full Mauser collection is a thing of beauty and functional excellence.

The 8mm round is better supported by handloaders nowadays, but you can find stout commercial loads as well. Surplus 8mm is still fairly cheap for big-bore plinking.

bumnote

This year I've bought an FN Model-50 in 30-06 that's in almost new condition. It's action is so smooth it's almost a crime.
Then I picked up a Brazilian 1909 action and I plan on building a custom rifle off that in 6.5x55. I picked that caliber because I picked up an '02 M96 Swede. That thing is so nice it's hard to believe it was a military weapon. Then I bought another Swede, a '41 M38. The quality of those Swede Mausers is amazing, the M38 might be the best built rifle I own.
So yeah...I might be a Mauser addict. :D

sc928porsche

I have quite a few Mausers. A full line of calibers starting at 6mm and ending at 35 Whelan based on the 06 case, and a full line starting 243 and ending at 308 based on the 308 case. Also a Siamese mauser converted to 45-70. I love them all.

warbirdlover

I want a new CZ 550 American if I can figure out which caliber I'd like it in. :D

Many years ago I bought a new FN Mauser Supreme barreled action in .243 and put it in a nicely figured walnut Fajen stock I inletted (with about 100 coats of finish between sandings or later polishings) and it was just a beautiful rifle. It looked like glass over the wood. It would put 5 shots on a dime at 100 yards and I got my first deer with it. The most silky smooth action ever and I had a Timney trigger on it. Of course I stupidly sold it when someone offered (at that time) way more then it was worth.

Last edited:

landlord

I have a 98 mauser 8x57 and a brazilian springfeild convertion 08/34 .30 not sure if its o6 or not, it has almost the same receiver does that mean the bolt will inter change?

Roger G

I glad I joined here because I had a bunch of questions about the 98 Mauser. Well it seems no one here has a bad word for them.
I am currently looking at 2 costumes. The first is a Johnston Automatics 98 Mauser Chamber 22-250,with no glass and the second I have not yet seen. These things seem to be bullet proof for the have not been made since WW2 ,IS THAT CORRECT?????
I have read everything you guys have posted and I guess if I can score one of these Mausers I will.
Thanks for the info provided so far
ROGER

Scharfschuetzer

Roger,

If you want to get an original military Mauser, the Yugoslavian M48 rifles are still available at reasonable prices. They are post WWII production, thus they were made without the stress and chaos of wartime production.

For the price of most of them, they are a wonderful way to get into an 8mm Mauser.

The one I bought came with its bayonet, cleaning kit and sling. It is beatifully blued and while the stock is a bit rough, it is made of teak wood and it should be just about indestructable. The bolt was left in the white and thus sets off the blued receiver nicely.

The 8mm is a very flexible cartridge to load for. Why it got such a bum rap here in America is beyond me. With proper loads and bullets, it can be useful on smaller deer up through the largest moose and is petty much the equal of the standard US 30 calibres. For accuracy I use the 175 grain Sierra Match King bullet and for general plinking I use the Remington bulk 185 grain 8mm Spitzer bullet that is economical to shoot and holds about 2 MOA.

For surplus ammo, You can get South American 190 grain ammo, Turkish 150 grain ammo and Romanian 190 grain ammo the last I checked. It's all probably still available if you look carefully. Be careful with the surplus ammo though. Most of it is corrosive and requires a thorough cleaning with hot water and detergent after use. Be careful when buying any surplus rifle. If they were used with corrosive ammo and not cleaned properly, the bore will look like a hundred miles of rough road. It's OK to have a dark bore (result of the priming compounds in old ammo) but it should have sharp rifling without any frosting or pits.

US factory ammo is downloaded to lower pressures than what we are used to and thus perhaps the American aversion to the cartridge. In the early days of the 8mm, it used a .318 bore (7.92 J). Prior to WW I, the bore size was upped to .323 calibre and the bullet was changed from a round nose design to the spitzer design (7.92 sG) . US ammo manufactures thus load to the lower pressure level so that if a .323 bullet gets shot out of a .318 bore rifle, the result will not be catastrophic.

Everything from hedge hogs to fighter planes and bombers have been shot up or down with the 7.92 X 57mm or commonly called 8mm Mauser. I hope you enjoy yours when you get it.

Last edited:

Herr Walther

A K.98k bcd coded '43 Mauser matching except the bolt. Some Waffenampts still intact.

And a M48BO unissued Mauser. The figuring on this stock is remarkable.

Both great rifles.

Rifles0001.jpg

warbirdlover

I like the FN Mauser designs. Not quite the military look of the 98 etc. The old Browning High Power bolt actions were based on it, Husqvarna's and lot's of others. I built a .243 on a new FN barrelled action and a Fajen stock back in the 60's and it was sub-MOA and really sweet. Needed a checkering job and I didn't have the dollars so I sold it. Regretted it ever since.

tahoe2

hey Roger

a couple sources for mauser's at reasonable prices samcoglobal.com , sarcointnl.com, they have the M24/47 & M48 (yugoslavian) in 8mm for around $220 to $250 bucks, of course you'll need an FFL liscenced dealer to bring it in through. There are also plenty of adds in "shotgunnews", for barreled actions, available at your local magazine newstand. Hope that helps, Oh yeah there's gun auction sites on the interweb
too !!

Roger G

Thanks Guys for your opinions. I am looking for a Sporterized Mauser 98 chambered in 22-250. I had good luck with this caliber years ago. I still have all the brass and dies and reloading equipment so I dont want to make another investment in equipment at my age. I am bidding on a couple of Sporterized 22-250's now SO I will have to see how it goes. I will report back
ROGER

thedaddycat

M 1895 Chilean Mauser (7X57) made in 1895 top, M 1896 Swedish Mauser (6.5X55) made in 1905 bottom. At some point I will find an old 8mm military Mauser in as issued trim to add to these two. There's just something neat about shooting a rifle that's well over 100 years old.....

100_6532.jpg

hooligan1

I have a Jastava Interarms Mauser, in .243 win, Daughters Graduation Rifle, And recently my #2 son and I started a Custom rifle project, and the action is the Turkisk Mauser, 1943 era.:)

Last edited:

DutchTexan

What are you all's thoughts on the FN Commercial Mauser 98 actions?

I have a .257 Roberts that has the FN Mauser action and Chrome Vanadium barrel. The FN logo is on the top of the receiver and the bolt has the wing type safety. Based on this I believe it is 1948-1957 production. The serial number is 55## so I think it is in the early part of that range like 1948-1951, but I don't know for sure. If anyone has a chart to look it up I would appreciate it.

It has a period correct Lyman Challenger 4x scope mounted. The barrel is smooth and I assume it was originally tapped for a scope since it doesn't have iron sights.

738b1e2d.jpg

e87ddd1d.jpg

ddd33edc.jpg

b4645a95.jpg