Mauser Crazy

LOUD

I went on a Mauser buying spee. I was just looking on a internet gun auction site( no name) and darned if I didnt find a sporterized Mauser to my liking and soon wound up with it and three more on the way, Now Im up to ten I think. I just love the design and function of a Mauser , not so much into military Mausers just sporters with nice wood and polished blue steel. Any other Mauser lovers out there?................................LOUD

BoomieMCT

Hmm.

My Grandfather had a really nice sportsterized Mauser. It had a double hair trigger and really nice scrollwork on the wood. After he died all the men in the family fought over it. All but me.

To me, the 8mm is a PITA cartridge in this country. I'd much rather have .308 or 30-06 as it is easier to find ammo (and cheap ammo). The old Mauser was very light and also had no recoil pad to speak of and kicked worse than anything I've ever shot since.

So, I appreciated it for the nice rifle it was but I had no desire to own it.

I do like my military surplus Mauser. I don't feel guilty putting surplus (corrosive) 8mm through it so it gets shot a whole lot more.

LOUD

I only own one mauser chambered in a military cartridge , a Swedish Mauser in 6.5mm . All the rest are in more domestic calibers , 270 win,243, 30/06, 300 wsm , Some are a real work of art !........LOUD

HShack

Mauser lover..

I love my M-96 Swedish Mauser Custom. Did a lot of the work myself. Barrel cut to 22 1/2" and steps removed. Polished and deep-blued everything. Drilled & tapped for scope base. Timney trigger. Swenson safety. Turned down the bolt handle. Slimmed trigger guard. Slimmed down the original stock, stained & oil rubbed. Imbedded silver dollar in stock where the brass plate was. Free-floated & glass bedded. QD sling swivel studs. Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8.

Weight is 7 lb. even.

Sometimes get sub 1" groups. Eyes bad; lucky to get that.

shootniron

I love my M-96 Swedish Mauser Custom. Did a lot of the work myself. Barrel cut to 22 1/2" and steps removed. Polished and deep-blued everything. Drilled & tapped for scope base. Timney trigger. Swenson safety. Turned down the bolt handle. Slimmed trigger guard. Slimmed down the original stock, stained & oil rubbed. Imbedded silver dollar in stock where the brass plate was. Free-floated & glass bedded. QD sling swivel studs.

If you did all of this to it and loved it...what did you love about it?

LOUD

Hey Hshack , now thats what im talking about , sounds like a beauty! So far my favorite is a model 98 chambered in 270 win that has a highly figured walnut monte carlo stock . The barrel and action look like black glass. It shoots great . I love hearing about your favorites!!.......................LOUD

jagwire

I have a sporterized mauser that my dad and I build back in the 90's. What's amazing is that we built it from spare parts that he had laying around his gunshop. The only things that we had to buy for it was a trigger assembly and a scope. It turned out really nice. We had a 30 cal. barrel blank. So we turned the threads and reamed the chamber for 30-06. We had an FN action laying around. Turned down the bolt handle. Spent a winter on the stock. Walnut with rosewood on the forend and gripcap. Glass bedded. Polished and blued. Jeweled the bolt. It shoots as good or better than any production 30-06 that I've ever fired.

Last edited:

tahoe2

A Yugo 24/47 in 8mm(sporter)
A 98k "people's rifle" in 8mm
A Yugo M48a in 8mm
A Spanish 1931 Ovedo carbine in 7mm (sporter)
and a Spanish 1932 Ovedo long rifle in 7mm (no pic)mausers 003.jpg

oldcars

I guess I can also raise my hand about being a Mauser fan
in original military form:
-1909 Argentine 7.65x53
-1953 Spanish 8mm (for sale)
-1938 Mod98 8mm russian capture (for sale)
-1939 Mod98 8mm
-Turkish 8mm

and sporters:
-FN action with heavy barrel and maple thumb hole stock in 6mm ( just sold)
-Mod 98 in 7mm-08 (for sale)
-post war FN beater in 308
-Interarms MkX 35 Whelen
-Interarms MkX 257 Roberts (almost done!)

I still have a really nice stock, and a new Bold trigger, so I think I need to build another rifle.......mabe in 6.5x55 this time ? or 7x57? ooooh mabe a heavy barreled 6.5x284! then again I would like to try a 220 swift....I'm going to need some more actions!

JRI

To me, the 8mm is a PITA cartridge in this country. I'd much rather have .308 or 30-06 as it is easier to find ammo (and cheap ammo).

I disagree,no problem at all if you reload.:D

Scorch

I love Mausers. They are the rifle everyone else copied (Springfield, Enfield, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc). IMO, there is not a better rifle out there. Especially love the commercial M98s, tough as nails and beautiful to look at. I own a couple of them myself, a 22-250 and a 7X57, an as soon as I come up with a good action I will own a reproduction of a commercial Mauser Model B in 8X57 (yeah, I know, it's a PITA cartridge:rolleyes:, but I love it).

HShack

Quote:
I love my M-96 Swedish Mauser Custom. Did a lot of the work myself. Barrel cut to 22 1/2" and steps removed. Polished and deep-blued everything. Drilled & tapped for scope base. Timney trigger. Swenson safety. Turned down the bolt handle. Slimmed trigger guard. Slimmed down the original stock, stained & oil rubbed. Imbedded silver dollar in stock where the brass plate was. Free-floated & glass bedded. QD sling swivel studs.

If you did all of this to it and loved it...what did you love about it?

:D Well, for the money I have invested in this custom I could have bought a very nice Remchester, but I have the satisfaction of owning a rifle much of which was crafted by me. I love the 6.5x55 SM cartridge; soft recoil but very effective on deer. I love the light weight. I love the way it feels in my hands. I love the slim lines....well, you get the pictue,

hornetguy

Swedes are SWEET... Mine is my go-to rifle. Deer, hogs, coyotes... it's done em all, very capably. It's primarily my deer rifle, but I've used it on the others. It will keep them all inside an inch at 100yds, as long as I squeeze instead of jerk.
I imagine it would be even better if I put a Timney trigger on it, instead of the old military two-stage. I'm in no hurry..

30-30remchester

I am a student of firearm design and the 98 mauser is the yardstick all others are measured against. Problem is, none match it, a few come close but none exceed.

Mobuck

I've got a bunch of Mausers in various calibers. In fact, I've built a couple myself from boxes of parts that performed quite well. Calibers from 220 Swift to 338/06 and configurations from light carbine to 10# target rifles. I progressed to the AR stuff but still hunt with the Mausers.

tahoe2

oldcars--very cool, and impressive past & present list !! ... and I thought I was a nut, look at you !! and the rest of you guys too ! I am honored to be in such company. I am currently restoring a Spanish 1932 Ovedo long rifle in 7x57, half of the barrel is clean but the other half(chamber end) is rusted bad any suggestions?? I have not shot it yet. If I were to buy a new mauser type rifle, it would be a Ruger M77 but the old mausers are just too much fun. I have never put any surplus or commercial ammo through my guns; the fun is in handloading. the Spanish carbine 7x57 loads are like 30-30(140 grn @ 2300 fps) for my 14 yr old son, he loves it and it can grow in power as he does. I try to duplicate the 8x57 to military spec but with hunting bullets.

Last edited:

FairWarning

LOUD, I don't think you'll have many problems finding fellow Mauser fans here. :D

Pic007.jpg

8x57mm.jpg

When I picked up my nicely sporterized Mauser, I knew I wouldn't be able to get premium rounds at Wal-Mart or Joe Blow gunstores, but that's ok. There is something magical about the feel of a Mauser in action. I like having something different, and it's not that difficult to find Euro loads with a little work (especially now with this new fangled internet thing). The Norma 165 gr HPs @ 2855 fps are my all time fav deer round. I've also had great results with some local hand loaders. I no longer bother with corrosive rounds of any kind.

I want to get an original configuration wood K98 or M48 very soon just to have more of the vintage feel and keep it with iron sights only, although I don't obsess enough about all matching parts to pay a couple grand for it. It's more important to me to have a great functioning, nice looking shooter that is NOT available at your neighborhood Wal-Mart.

If the Mitchell's Mausers WWII K98 Snipers were real, I'd love to have one of those, but they are too expensive, real or not. :eek:

Doc TH

Mausers

The Mausers are the best bolt action rifles ever designed. All of them have their own unique characteristics, advantages and disadvantages (e.g., caliber), but no other bolt action designs can match the Mausers. In my own view, several American lever actions, and all Mausers, are the justifiably iconic rifles of contemporary firearms.

boostedtt91

I am very interested in buying a Mauser rifle. I have a mosin nagant already and i really like the Mauser so i want to get one. My question is what kind of prices should i expect to pay for one and if there is anything special i should look at before buying.