Mauser bore quality.

RC20

*The BESA machine guns on British tanks used the original 8x57.

And they worried about non compatible ammo?

Replace all those aircraft 303s with 50 cal and more better! Lot easier than 20mm. Odd stuff. Throwing a 30-30 class cartridge at them Germans no wonder they jumped to 20mm (better off with the BESSA!)

Seems any time it came up they managed, M1, Brits, Sherman tanks and their 75 mm (early, but Brits only had one Firely per 4 I believe)

US could have used that 17 lb er and been better off.

So it goes and off topic I know

James K

Member In Memoriam
Well, you don't just "replace" .30 or .303 MGs with .50 calibers on an airplane. If you have ever seen those guns, you know the big .50 is a lot heavier and has a lot more recoil than the light machineguns. Everything from the wing struts to the ammo boxes has to be bigger and heavier, not to mention that the increased weight requires a more powerful engine to maintain performance, let alone increase it. And of course, the .50's have to be available to begin with.

Not just a "drop in" job, you basically up-gun by buying a new airplane.

Jim

emcon5

And they worried about non compatible ammo?

As I understand it, since they were only on tanks, and the armored units had their own supply chain it was not an issue. They could also use captured ammo.

RC20

I know its off topic and apologies to the Joe Sixgun and smack me if you think it should stop of course.

They put 20 mm cannon in the wings, that has got to be a heck of a lot more phoomf than a 50.

And they had the 30 calibers (US) or they could have bone with the 15 mm Bessa.

As they did not have to worry about logistics like th4e Army it makes more sense. You always flew back to a nice base (more or less but well behind the liens if not in England) , not like they operated out in the middle of no where.

Just seems odd. For close to the same space you could put in the 50/30/7.92 or the 15mm, lots more ammo than a 20 mm.

James K

Member In Memoriam
For one, the RAF Hurricane Mk IIC carried four 20mm cannon in its wings, two on each side. One variant carried a 40mm, but it was in a nose pod, not in the wing.

Jim

F. Guffey

I know some of you have pictures down the bore. I just don't want to pick up a wall hanger.

If the bore is shutout use that to your advantage; if the bore is gone so is the price. I have purchased Mausers for the parts and then found there was no way accuracy could be improved. I know, the serial numbers will not match but; if that bothers someone it bothers them more than it bothers me.

F. Guffey

RC20

the Spitfire had like 3 different variations.

8 x 303, 2 x 20mm and 4 by 303 and I think 4 x 20mm

Can't remember if the Hurricane matched those all 3, but they did have the 4 x20mm and the 40 mm (ungh, bad enough on a Stuka)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Both the Spit and the Hurricane had a lot of variations. The Hurricane (IIRC) went through 12 marks, though not all the numbers actually reflected actual aircraft. The 40mm was intended for use against vehicles in ground support, though, not against enemy aircraft.

Jim

emcon5

Spitfire had a lot more than 3 variations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super...nts:_specifications,_performance_and_armament

The change was more involved than swapping the .303 Brownings for 20mm Hispanos, the wing was redesigned.

---------------------------

Anyway, back to the actual subject, if the bore is shot out, and you have the skill and tools to change it, then price accordingly. If you don't, pass, because the cost to swap the barrel will end up a lot more than an original with a good bore.

I suspect you are wanting a rifle, not a project though. If you just want a first Mauser, look for a Yugo model, they were all either built (the M48 series) or refurbished (M24/47 and captured Nazi K98k) after the war and the barrels are usually very good.

Other options, Swede 96 and 38, (used primarily with non corrosive ammo), or Soviet Capture Nazi K98k rifles, which were all inspected and reworked after the war, most have decent original barrels.

RC20

Spitfire had a lot more than 3 variations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superm...e_and_armament

The change was more involved than swapping the .303 Brownings for 20mm Hispanos, the wing was redesigned.

The point was there were 3 gun variants, 8 x 303, 2 x 20 and 4 x 303 and the more rare 4 x 20mm (add correction, a 2 x 50 cal and 2 x 20 mm I did not know about)

Lots of Marks and an extremely successful and adaptor aircraft let alone one of the all time good lookers of all time.

Odd armament choice with the huge jump to the 20 mm assist as it were when there were better choices in between with a lot more rounds giving much longer air to air fighting time.

Last edited: