Match grade 22 under $500

rc

Is this scoped or open sights competition?

My 452 trainer is probably the most accurate 22 I own and the best $225 I ever spent on a gun. They are a bit more now on the used market. A good custom 10/22 with bull barrel can compete but can it win? Dunno.

If you are competing with a scope, get her this one just at the edge of your price range.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-provarmint-suppressor-ready/

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888123638

This model has a threaded barrel so you can put a comp on it if you like or just leave the thread protector on. Some comps lead up quick.

Double K

When I originally posted pictures of targets with my Tikka T1x they were with mid grade 22 target ammunition, rereading it today it occured to me that I should shoot a few groups with real match grade ammunition seeing how this is about shooting the smallest groups from a 500. and under rifle.
Because I never made it to single ARA tournament this year I didn't shoot single round of Tenex or Midas so I still have a couple of cartons of both, it'll be interesting to see how they do in the Tikka.
It was below zero here this morning so it won't be happening until were out of the deep freeze.:(

btw rc, pretty sure that barrels on 22 rifles are threaded for suppressors, compensators' have little value on 22lr rifles.

Bart B.

When I originally posted pictures of targets with my Tikka T1x they were with mid grade 22 target ammunition, rereading it today it occured to me that I should shoot a few groups with real match grade ammunition seeing how this is about shooting the smallest groups from a 500. and under rifle.
Isn't the accuracy one can always count on the largest groups fired?

zukiphile

Peter R said:
That said my 14-year-old daughter is interested in giving it a go. She is a good shooter, I have a couple of different Ruger 1022s that she enjoys plinking with.
So my question would be, is there a decent 22 cal in the $500 or under Range that would be a decent platform to start with, or am I better off build up one of the Rugers that I already own with a decent trigger and possible match barrel ?

The problem with improving a 10/22 is having the will power to stop when you've hit the limit of your budget. The siren song of the 10/22 aftermarket is relentless. It's easy to end up with a mediocre $1000 rifle

CZs aren't the bargain they once were, but there is a reason so many have recommended them. CZ doesn't seem to have many lemons in its 452/457 range and the pricing isn't abusive unless you need a threaded barrel of kevlar stock.

Will she need a lot of magazines? In this area, Ruger rules. CZ magazines are well made and pricey. Ruger magazines aren't much more than $10, and they are rugged.

You might sidestep the aftermarket temptation and benefit from the inexpensive and durable Ruger magazines with a Ruger American Precision rifle. I don't have one, but I did get an ordinary Ruger American with a short length of pull for my daughter. It seems to be a solid little rifle.

Double K

Bart

The title of the thread is "match grade 22 under 500."
One could assume from that the op will be shooting match grade ammunition, not "best 22 ammunition for the money" using your logic does the op shoot the cheapest bulk ammunition and decide on the rifle based on how it groups, doubtful.
I'm not sure what "always count on" means in the match 22 world because lot variations can be quite dramatic as far as accuracy which brings up another point, I've found it easier to get ammunition that groups well by by buying cartons of several different lots of second tier ammunition rather that one lot of premium grade ammunition recently. Nothing is more annoying than having a couple of cartons of Tenex sitting around that doesn't group as well as black box. There was a time not that long ago you could count on Tenex to be the absolute best, not so anymore.

Bart B.

What's the accuracy standard for a match grade 22 rimfire rifle at 50 and 100 yards?

A 50 shot test group is statistically about 100% confident in representing the accuracy stuff has. Any more is a waste. More shots increases the odds of shooting a quarter MOA few shot group.

Last edited: