marlin xl7 opinions

publius

I think you did well on the rifle. Don't know if that is a normal price, but if it is, i may be getting one. Scopes- I have high end Bushnells, Burris, Nikon, old Redfields, and Leupold. They are all good scopes but the safest thing to buy is a Leupold. They rarely have QC problems and the best warranty in the manufacturing business along with RCBS. Get a matte finish Leupold in your price range and Redfield base and rings.

Fusion

Nitrex scopes are rebranded Weavers. Now, I have no experience with them so don't want to comment too much, but I've heard decent things.

I'm telling you though, the Burris FFII imo is the way to go for a sub $200 scope. Leupold doesn't have anything that can touch it for under $300, and their $300 scopes still aren't as good. Nikon has some decent optics too you can get in this price range that are solid. The FFII has even better glass than my Monarchs imo though, so while I think the Burris has better glass than the Nikons, the Nikons are durable too, and they do offer some other nice features over the FFII.

As for saying Leupold rarely has QC issues, that's false too imo. I've had 2 out of the 3 Leupold VX-I's I've had have to go in for repair, and one of those had to go in twice. The 3rd one I bought as a package with another scope and got a smoking deal and I wanted the other scope. It's the only reason I bought it, and I sold it off without using it. So I can't say if it would have held up or not. The other two worked for a short while before giving me problems. These or lower on the chain are the only Leupolds you will get in the $200 range, so you not only have to worry about it failing, but you also have to deal with sub par glass for that price range, and horrible (I'd like to use a nicer word, but I can't) friction adjustments.

As for the Bushnell, it's no way I'd put that on my rifle, but it's really ultimately your choice. I'd not go with any less than an Elite 3200 at minimum, and honestly, after having some Elite 3200's, I no longer own any of them, and I wasn't left impressed, so I probably wouldn't even put that on my rifle. It was better than the Leupold VX-I though.