marlin xl7 opinions

zachkuby87

so im looking at getting a bolt action rifle for deer hunting was planning on going ar 15 but funds arent going to allow it in time "just started new job" and since i sold my marlin 336 to my sister i need a decent rifle for around 600 bucks including optics ive been looking around lately and searching the web and this is what ive decided on the marlin xl7 and a bushnell trophy 2-9x40.any opinions are welcome i just wanna know if anyone has used this rifle and/or scope and what your thoughts are. also if you know where i can purchase either for a better price that would be amazing.

Last edited:

Abel

and since i sold my marlin 336 to my sister i need a decent rifle for around 600 bucks including optics ive been looking around lately and searching the web and this is what ive decided on the marlin xl7

I do not trust anything being made by Marlin right now. They have had many quality control issues in the past two years. I'm not sure if the XL7 was a model with bad marks or not.

You want my advice? Go buy another Marlin 336, a used one from before 2009. You can usually pick one up for around $300-350. Then, go get a new Redfield 2-7x33mm scope.

zachkuby87

Really? This is news to me. But I haven't been in the market for a few years so that's probably why. What kind of problems are they having?

Hog Buster

My 15 year old grandson saved his nickels and dimes and bought one in 30.06 a couple of months ago. He paid $285 for it NIB. He put a cheap, Bushnell I think, scope on it and has been wearing out the hogs with it. I shot it a few times when he was sighting in and found it to be accurate, smooth operating and trouble free. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Abel

Really? This is news to me. But I haven't been in the market for a few years so that's probably why. What kind of problems are they having?

All sorts. Google it.

publius

Get yourself a good used Savage and a new(not used) Leupold VX1 3x9. should be able to find a good used Savage for @300.00 and a Leupold 3x9 for under $200. You certainly don't have to go Savage, Rem., Win., Browning, etc. are all great, I just think you have a better chance gettng a low price on a Savage.

zachkuby87

Well I googled it and yeah I found a lot of stuff about the 1895's? And a few 336's but I haven't found anyone who has had problems with the xl7 so I'm going ahead with the it I found a good deal on a nib .270 in realtree for 340 all said and done so I'm gonna pick it up. Now to the next issue what scope to use any suggestions? I'm also really into the realtree camo fyi I'm actually paying a few bucks extra for the rifle to be camo so a nice realtree scope would be nice. Shots could range anywhere from 20 to 200 yards but most will be under 100.

JSJ127

I believe the nikon prostaff comes in realtree camo and they're not expensive and are pretty decent scopes. You'll be fine with the marlin x series rifle. My sons girlfriend has one in 308 and that thing shoots great with the cheap federal blue box ammo. One word of advice do not try to tighten down the screws that come with the supplied scope base. They will break very easily. Ask me how I know lol. Buy some better screws for that. Oh and check out marlinowners.com. A lot of info there on everything marlin.

FrankenMauser

Skip the Nikons and Bushnells, and drop one of the new Redfield scopes on it. You get a good Leupold scope, a real lifetime warranty, and a bargain-brand price.

As for the XL7...
Great rifles at a great price.

Hog Busters said it best:
I ... found it to be accurate, smooth operating and trouble free. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Fusion

I've read lots of complaints from people with the newer ones with the REM marked barrels, and I've read of several having accuracy issues. However, they are decent rifles. I just think you'd be much better off paying a few dollars extra and getting a Savage that you know will be accurate, and isn't having issues. Not to mention it's much easier to find aftermarket parts for. Walmart sells the Savage Model 10 or 110 depending on the caliber with the accu trigger, and a cheap package scope for right under $400. IMO this is the way to go and then sell the scope off. You won't have much more into it than buying the Marlin, and you will have a much better rifle from a much better company. I used to be a big Marlin fan, but since Remington owns them, and this Cerberus owns Remington, these companies have turned into a joke putting out sub par products with lousy slow customer service. I'm sure you can find lots on that.

As for the scope, I'd also skip the Bushnell. I've never had a Bushnell that's impressed me including their elite scopes. They also have horrible customer service, and more often than not it seems that if you have an issue, you will have them tell you either it's your fault, or the tube is bent and not covered by warranty and then they will offer to sell you one at a very slight discount off of MSRP. There are tons of posts online about this too. I just don't care to give my money to a company like that, not to mention every Bushnell I've had with the exception of an Elite 3200 10x Tactical has tracked horribly. The Elites have had good glass though and worked while I used them, they just didn't track accurately and for that price range to me that's not acceptable. That combined with Bushnells customer service, I decided to sell them and no longer own any.

I'm also not a big Leupold fan as I've had so many issues with the lower end Leupolds, but I'd buy one over a Bushnell. If you get a Leupold don't get anything below a VX-II. The VX-II and above seem to be halfway decent, you just greatly overpay for them and get technology that would have been good 10 years ago, but is far surpassed by many other companies now.

I'd look into a Burris Fullfield II, Vortex Viper, Nikon Monarch, or similar for this rifle.

The Burris FFII's I've had have blown the Leupold VX-I's away, not to mention each VX-I I've used has failed to hold zero and had to be repaired, as have both of my friends that have used VX-I's. The glass is also no where near the glass quality of the FFII and the friction adjustable turrets suck.

The VX-II I had, I never mounted, but at least it did have click adjustable turrets. Granted they were the old coin style ones and not what I'd prefer, but at least it was better than friction adjustments. The glass was better than the VX-I, but honestly the Burris FFII still had better glass, and seemed to be a better scope all the way around. IMO I think it's one of the best buys in it's price range. I'd actually look into the new E1 probably, but I can't comment on it as I've never personally used it.

mpolk

I have the XS7 in 7mm-08. It is an excellent gun in a flimsy stock. I put it in a Boyds $99 stock and bedded it, and it shoots lights out. I just bought the new 308 Varmint gun and did the same thing. Shoots lights out. It actually shot very well in the original stock, but it was rather flimsy and I like wood. The adjustable trigger is very good. Shoots and performs as good as any of my Savage of Weatherby guns. I have Mueller scopes on both and I am very fond of the Mueller scopes also. Great products especially for the prices. JMHO.

viking499

Skip the Nikons and Bushnells, and drop one of the new Redfield scopes on it. You get a good Leupold scope, a real lifetime warranty, and a bargain-brand price.

Not a Bushnell fan, but I would take my current crop of Nikons over anything else right now, other than my two 25 year old Leupolds. I feel that dollar for dollar, the Nikons have the Leupolds beat.

I do have my first Redfield in transit for my sons muzzleloader. Once it get here, then I can judge how it does.

FrankenMauser

Not a Bushnell fan, but I would take my current crop of Nikons over anything else right now, other than my two 25 year old Leupolds. I feel that dollar for dollar, the Nikons have the Leupolds beat.

I do have my first Redfield in transit for my sons muzzleloader. Once it get here, then I can judge how it does.

I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 on my XL7 (often said to be one of their best scopes). It was replaced in May or June. I consider the current Redfield 3-9x40mm to be an upgrade. ;)

And, a shameless plug:
mpolk's post reminded me that I still have a Boyds' stock sitting here for an XL7. I like the stock, but my rifle didn't respond well to having the barrel free-floating. I also decided to keep the XL7 light, as a pseudo-mountain rifle. The light factory stock fits that bill well.
So, if anybody is interested in a like-new, in-box, Boyds' Classic, Pepper laminate XL7 stock, I have one available (and Boyd's doesn't ;) ). Send me a private message.

Last edited:

wpcexpert

Just bought one

I just picked up a Marlin XS7Youth model in .243 Win for my son/wife. It is a very nice feeling rifle and is balanced well. It has a "Accu" type trigger that is light, crisp and clean. The stock was free floated all but in one little spot, and with a quick swipe of sand paper, it is all better now.

I've ran 3 different cartridges thru it: Remmington 100gr Core-Loc, cheap Federal soft points 100gr (i think), and the Federal's 95gr Nosler balistic tip loading. All were under 1.75 inches at 100yds. The Noslers 4 shot group was just under 1.25in. Now that is with less than 25 rounds thru it and firing quick strings. I'll take my time a little more when I get the chance. I plan on reloading for and believe I can get under MOA.

Over all I am very happy with the rifle. I believe it will be great for the deer and the varmints.

baddarryl

I have the .270 in real tree. Have shot 40 rounds through it and feels good, no problems at all. Got sub 1" groups at 100 yards with Hornady 130 SST. Fusion almost as good. I put a Nitrex 3x9x42 TR1 scope that was $100 after rebate from Natchez if they still have them. So that's $479 for the whole package. No way could I do better for that money. Not with that rifle and scope combo. Mine was missing the sling swivel in the stock though as new. I expect better than that, but in the end it is a fine rifle. The trigger is great.

zachkuby87

Awesome I'm just waiting for mine to come I'm still undecided on a scope though I've been asking around and people are sayin I should spend 3-4 hundo on a scope but that defeats the entire reason I bought the rifle as its supposed to be a strict budget deer slayer. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place atm. I think I just may go with my original plan and get the bushnell trophy 3-9x40 I went and handled one at the lgs along with others and for the price it seems like a sound idea. I'm still looking for options though so any reccomendations are appreciated. I'm looking to keep cost under 200$ or at least close and shots will range from 5-200 yards most likely between 25-100 yards though. I usually won't push a long shot unless I see that big buck then ill reach out a little further.

Jbotto

zachk, this is what I did: Bought my "bargain rifle," bought rings and bases, and at the same time bought my scope. I was on Midway and SWFA checking prices and reviews. I like gear reviews as you can usually find a few that are in your exact sitution. I went with the Redfield 3-9x40 and love it. I got it from SWFA for 160 bucks. I don't have any regrets. Good luck on your decision!