Marlin what is going on with them?

btmj

I recently acquired a brand spank'n new Marlin 336... it is definitely a "remlin". I have to say that the build quality seems pretty good to me. Accuracy seems good. I have not shot it from a bench at 100 yards yet, but just plinking it seems fine. no feeding or extraction issues. Trigger is decent. The wood stock is attractive and nicely finished... it's not a Browning or a Sako, but hey...

DPris

Member Emeritus
The company has invested large money in CNC & more updated machinery in general for the Marlins & retrained employees while several models were temporarily suspended.
The 3-phase factory upgrade is supposed to be done by now, so if they did what they said they were going to do, the current Marlins should be OK.

Just inspect carefully before you buy.
Denis

CMGibson

This is my fear. I have been wanting a lever action namely the Marlin 357. Sounds like many people are disappointed with them.

Salmoneye

I have been wanting a lever action namely the Marlin 357.

"Marlin" has stopped production of the 'pistol caliber' 1894 due to quality issues...

Been many months, and prices are rising on remaining stocks and used guns...

DPris

Member Emeritus
Several levergun models were temporarily suspended during the factory revamping process.
The .357 SHOULD be coming back.
Denis

DPris

Member Emeritus
Late last year when I discussed it with one of the production people at Remington I was told they had realized they'd underestimated the complexity of the transition from old Marlin to new Marlin, had finally realized it was essentially out of control, and they were temporarily suspending several models while pursuing a 3-phase analysis, plant & equipment re-organizing & plant worker training.

As the phases were completed, which should be finished, the models would be re-introduced, but not necessarily all at once.

Give it some more time.
The last new .357 I had here a couple years back was so bad it was returned unfired.
Hopefully they're getting a better handle on the processes.
Denis

Last edited:

johnbt

"underestimated"

Wasn't that what Lord Cardigan said after leading the charge of the Light Brigade?

And then he reportedly boarded his yacht in Balaclava harbour and ate a champagne dinner. There's a lesson for Remington somewhere in this story. :)

DPris

Member Emeritus
"Underestimated" was the word used, but I think they HAVE learned something from the process. :)

Moving the operation to a new location with people who had never built Marlins before, transition glitches were inevitable.

On the positive side, they were taking substantial measures to correct the situation.
On the negative side, far too many defective Marlins got out before they realized the severity of the situation.

I haven't ruled out a new Marlin, but if & when it'll be hands-on inspected before money trades hands.
Denis

Paladin7

I have one of the last true Marlin 1894css guns in 357 magnum. When I bought mine it was sitting in my gun dealer's shop for a while and in terrific condition. Build quality, reliability and accuracy have been superb. Personally, it is a very enjoyable rifle to own and use in the field or at the range.

When I bought this rifle there was another, new in box, that I also looked at. The minute I opened the action, it locked up and wouldn't close or budge at all. It had to be disassembled to close and make it's way back to Remington.

So, note to self... inspect thoroughly any firearm you intend to buy.

Remington makes a lot of great reliable guns and has for years. I hate the fact that they didn't get the Marlin acquisition right, but very hopeful that now after realizing they have a problem, they will get it right again.

Time will tell.

coldbeer

I just got my vacation check which I was going to buy a new 1895sbl with, but this thread has me wondering if I should wait or buy used.

DPris

Member Emeritus
As I said- their revamping process was scheduled to be finished by now.
If you want to buy, just go look at a new one. As in- LOOK it over thoroughly.
Otherwise, I don't know what you'd be waiting for.
Denis

coldbeer

**** it, I'm buying the kids a swimming pool instead. I'm not convinced Marlin has their **** together yet even if some guy on the internet says they do.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Cold,
If that was directed at me, you're off base.

Nowhere have I said, as "some guy on the Internet" that they have their **** together.

I deal with the gun industry as part of my job.
I've discussed this issue with a Remington rep in a position to know at the factory.
I passed on what I was told.
If you have more or better info, run with it.
I said "should" be through with their re-vamp program, since we're past the period of time they were projecting for it.
I said "if they did what they said they were going to do".
I said LOOK IT OVER CAREFULLY IF YOU GO FOR A NEW ONE.

Otherwise, I don't know what you'd be waiting for. You want a new Marlin, whether you check one out tomorrow or six months down the road, you're still going to be well advised to LOOK it over carefully.

In the meantime, go buy your pool.
Denis

Salmoneye

I deal with the gun industry as part of my job.
I've discussed this issue with a Remington rep in a position to know at the factory.
I passed on what I was told.
If you have more or better info, run with it.
I said "should" be through with their re-vamp program, since we're past the period of time they were projecting for it.
I said "if they did what they said they were going to do".
I said LOOK IT OVER CAREFULLY IF YOU GO FOR A NEW ONE.

Otherwise, I don't know what you'd be waiting for. You want a new Marlin, whether you check one out tomorrow or six months down the road, you're still going to be well advised to LOOK it over carefully.

In the meantime, go buy your pool.
Denis

I for one believe what you were told...

The issue I have is that I have not seen anything 'new' production that can be reliably dated to after August of 2011...

10+ months and counting...

DPris

Member Emeritus
It was a major undertaking, I wouldn't expect it to be done quickly. :)
I saw some new Marlins at SHOT in Vegas in January that were Ilion production, some better than others. Some had the JM barrels, some had the Ilion barrels.

Have not looked at anything current, I have enough Marlins from past years to meet my own needs.
Denis

iamdb

Rifle Magazine (Jan 2012, No. 260) by Brian Pierce regarding Marlin (page 4)
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri260partial1.pdf

Here is a Marlin employee's take on the article...
"Some of the experienced employees chose to retire". While this is true, there were 265 employees at the time of the announced closing and if there were 25 who chose to retire there were 220 who were not offered relocation. Trust me, they did not care to absorb our knowledge.

"Programs and blueprints had to be rewritten, as many of the drawings dated back 60-plus years and were not suitable for CNC tooling" WHAT?!?! Unless the SAE inch standard changed this year that is utter BS. A blueprint is a blueprint, and most of our drawings were already re-drawn in AutoCAD anyway. Still, the paper drawings did not have an expiration date ya know.

"In visiting the Marlin New Haven plant not long before the move, I was amazed by the old-world tooling, some literally being a centry old" I guess his GPS was broken on his trip to Marlin, because we were in North Haven, not New Haven. Also, none of our tooling was a century old.

"Unfortunately, manufacturing methods were labor intensive and thus expensive" OK, no argument there, but Marlin was turning a profit every year. Methods were labor intensive because we were craftsmen, not "button pushers".

"Some of the equipment and tooling was in the process of being updated at that time by the relatively new owner, Freedom Group" Again, total BS. Any of the process improvements and updates being done were being done by Marlin Employees. We were always updating and improving, something that had been ongoing since the Kenna family ownership.

"but I would submit that a large-scale change was inevitable, or the company would have eventually become bankrupt, or at least not profitable" Again, Marlin was "in the black" year after year. We were getting regular pay raises, and had the capital to purchase new equipment were needed. I wonder how the profits look now LOL.

DPris

Member Emeritus
There's been at least a minor amount of finger-pointing in both directions, but QC was sliding at Marlin before Remington took over.

The old plant has to accept some credit for declining quality.
Denis

iamdb

Just curious what makes you say QC was declining before the take over? The only thing I can think of was a small number of the New MX (2008-2009) rifles had a barrel droop issue. But I credit that to it being a new product. The only rifle I have owned from that time period was a 308mx which had the droop. I sold it for more than I paid, so it was a non issue when it was all said and done with. But I have not heard complaints of any of the other pieces from that time period.