Marlin what is going on with them?

TNT

I have a 1894CS .357mag that I bought about 10 yrs ago and it ran good for a bit but then started jamming. Looking into it it was refered to as the Marlin jam due to one material being harder than the other and the wearing factor was throwing the timing off. So seeing what the problem was I called Marlin and asked them about it. They told me that I needed to send it to a gunsmith and I said they could just ship it and I would take care of it. After them arguing with me about it I got tired of there excuses and hung up. At that point I figured I would sell the gun. That was 8yrs ago fast forward to today. I figure I will give them one more shot so I call them this morning asking for the part I need and they tell me the part has to go to a FFL. I knew serial numbered parts such as sears and recievers but never heard of a bolt carrier having to go through a FFL. Called Numrich 5 minutes later got the part from them no problems no FFL. Marlin I used to like any more I am I am getting fed up with them.

dalegribble

they are now part of the company that took over remington and some other gun makers. from what i can see i'm glad i got my marlin 1895 long before the takeover. i don't think i'll be spending any money with the "new" company.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Marlin, as a separate entity, no longer really exists.
They're made now at the Remington facility in New York by new people on new machinery.

There is, or should be, no requirement to send action parts to an FFL, beyond some companies' internal policies to restrict certain parts to a GUNSMITH or warranty repair center.

I'd imagine the requirement in this case was to send what you were asking for more to a gunsmith than just an FFL.

A note on Numrich- you don't always get new parts from them. What you get may be worse than the one you already have.
Denis

jmr40

Many companies are reluctant to send you parts, especially if it requires disassembly of the gun or fitting of the part. They have no idea of the skill level you have to correclty replace the part and want no legal responsibility if you put it together wrong. If they send the part to a gunsmith with a FFL the responsibility for correct instillation is on him.

Ruger and some other companies are well known for good CS, but require you to send the gun to them for even minor repairs. They want to make sure the gun is safe. If you send in a Ruger with an aftermarket part such as a trigger, you will get it back with the aftermarket part replaced with factory whether you want or not.

slow944

The 44Mag Marlin I have has the (REM) stamp on the barrel, but the barrel also has the North Haven Conn. stamped on it as well. When did they move from NH and was my rifle made there or else where. I think the serial 3 starts with M9 but I'm at work so can't check for sure.

iamdb

You definitely have a Remlin. It should be stamped REP not REM. They were manufactured in North Haven until March 31, 2011. Those that were made in North Haven were assembled by Remington using Marlin made parts. They have since been assembled by Remington with Remington made parts.

Sheikyourbootie

Steer clear of Remlin. As far as your gun...it sounds like the carriage MIGHT need to be readjusted. First give it a deep cleaning and make sure it isn't trying to feed 2 simply from accumulated crap near the feed from the magazine trying to let in a second round..

iamdb

TNT
You should be able to fix your problem without buying another part. You simply need to bend the carrier slightly. I'm talking less than a hundreth of an inch. If you need help send me a pm I can walk you through it. -db-

DPris

Member Emeritus
During the startup in Ilion Remington was using the final remaining stocks of JM-marked barrels from the old factory.
You'll see some Ilion guns with North Haven barrels, till the older ones were used up. Any barrel marked with the new proof was made in New York.
Denis

Single Six

I feel your pain. My first lever action was also my last. Specifically, it was a Marlin 1894SS, and it was about as reliable as a Democrat's promise. Sold it off, went back to my Mini-14, never looked back.

gaseousclay

you'd think with all the Remlin complaints people would boycott anything and everything they make. I don't understand how a company like this can get away with selling so many defective firearms and still be in business

iamdb

I also heard they are getting out of the component business. If they do or if it's true, I will for sure boycott them. I can't find .358 rncl's for under $40 per 100 everyone is sold out with no backorder. :(

whippoorwill

Come on now Rifleman.... I've only had one Marlin lever, an 1894 Stainless .44 magnum. In truth, it did have some feeding issues. But to say Marlin was always junk is way off base.

Rifleman, I just read your post again. You said in your experience... I can accept that. In my experience, my one Marlin leveraction was junk as well. However, as a firearms maker, Marlin has had an enviable record over the years.

johnbt

Junk? Oh no, is my '63 Mountie going to break and fall apart? I'll be up all night now worrying about this development after 49 years of happiness. :p

Salmoneye

Junk? Oh no, is my '63 Mountie going to break and fall apart? I'll be up all night now worrying about this development after 49 years of happiness.

Whatever you do, please don't tell my 1893...She's a .30-30 built 100 years ago this year, and I just got her broke in...

chuckle.gif

Salmoneye

my LGS currently has a 93 in 30-30, serial numer 7XX. Any idea what a fair price for it would be in good condition?

Nope...I am not a collector, I only have an inherited piece...For questions like this, I defer to these guys, and I am betting they will want a bunch more info:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-collectors/

I posted this a while ago elsewhere:

I won't embed due to size...Pic is from Granville, VT in 1914...

Far left crouching is my Uncle Frank...I have the Marlin 1893 he is holding...Original Marlin-Hepburn rear sight, and a Beech combination front...Half octagon, short mag...His brother Dan is far right standing (closest to deer)...Same rifle, bought together in 1912...I have his house, but the gun went to another nephew...My grandfather is the one sitting front with his rifle pointed up...Died in the early 40's so I never knew him, nor what happened to the rifle...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2jcyf0m.jpg