Marlin Lever Gun Quality Is Back - I Think So

1895Gunner

I'm sticking with pre-2009 Marlins myself and particularly 1998-2002 model year Guide Guns & Outfitters. They are still out there, not sure why anyone wouldn't stick with what is a known entity.

I wish Marlin (Remington) could get their act together and build quality in again. I have handled and read about greatly improved quality but I will stick with what I know for now.

1895gunner

FrankenMauser

I'm sticking with pre-2009 Marlins myself and particularly 1998-2002 model year Guide Guns & Outfitters. They are still out there, not sure why anyone wouldn't stick with what is a known entity.
Too many people are scared of used guns.
"What if it has problems?"
"What if some one did something stupid to it?"
"What if it was stolen?"
"What if it killed some one?!"

Many, many people seem to think that buying new is a guarantee that they won't run into trouble; and that if they do have problems, it'll be taken care of with less hassle.

You and I both know how well that theory works with Remlins. :rolleyes:

And I know we're not alone.
On MarlinOwners, there are plenty of current reports about ongoing issues -- particularly stupid things that never should have left the factory, or would have been INSTANTLY discovered if the rifles were function tested at all before being boxed.

And there are still only two stores in my area that sell Marlins: Sportsman's Warehouse and Dick's. (Probably WalMart, too, but I don't do business with them. So I don't know.)
All other shops have stopped ordering and selling new Marlins (most more than a year ago), because they had so many issues resulting in warranty work and angry customers.

There was a shop here that tried their luck with an 1895 last year, to see if quality was improving. Just like the rifle I got some parts from for my project M444, it wouldn't even cycle, right out of the box, and Remington never fixed it. The finger lever was jamming hard against the cartridge lifter. It went back to Remington three times for repair, with no improvement. Remington would not offer a refund since he was a dealer. And they told the dealer to sell it to a customer, before sending it back in again. In the end, the brand-new 1895 was slated to get parted out, because that was the best option for recouping the investment; when a buyer swooped in and bought it for parts value, in order to send it to Wild West Guns as a donor for one of their conversions. :rolleyes:

Tony Z

So, given that Remington has owned Marlin for what, 8 years or so? The issue as I see it, is that just maybe they have their act together (pure suppisition), but there are so many earlier Remlins out there in the mix of new Marlin sales, that it may be years if those rifles cycle out to consumers.

What is the serial number for 2017 or even 2016 years of manufacture? Have the later, most recent years of manufacture, ever been compared to the first years after the move from the original factory?

Personally, it is easy to find a common caliber pre-Remlin, in nice shape, for pretty much the same cost as a new Remlin, so I would opt for that direction. But for some of the less common models? Prices are going up, and the earlier Marlins getting fewer and far between.

FrankenMauser

The really bad Remlins were purged from the system long ago. At this point, they should only be showing up on used racks.
Current production (last ~12 months) is what my comments are about.

Remington-made Marlins cannot be dated by serial number, without contacting Remington*.
The closest you can get with just a rifle is checking the barrel date code (if present and legible), which will give you a rough estimate.

If the box is available, it may have a packing or shipping date on the label. But there's no guarantee.

*(Except for rifles built by Remington with Marlin-made receivers. But, even then, it may be a 2009 receiver assembled in 2010.)

O4L

Sorry, I'm not convinced.

I don't know if I could ever make myself purchase a Remington made 'Marlin'.