Marlin lever action .22??

Bentonville

I believe it's the Mod. 37 that fella has for sale in the next county. Is that a good, reliable rifle? I haven't asked price yet but I am really in a buying mood. thanks for any help.

hoghunting

You're close, it's the Model 39. They are very good rifles and if he offers it at a good price, and it is in good condition, I would jump on it as quickly as possible. Check www.gunbroker.com to see what they are selling for.

joab

I have one at my house that I'm keeping for a friend

I has the sweetest smoothest action I have ever felt.
I haven't shot it but he has had it since 1956 and swears by it.

They seem to sell for about $400 and up

Limeyfellow

I have a model 39a golden and its a really nice lever action rifle. If its a good deal is worth getting for sure. One of the best .22 levers.

22-rimfire

The Marlin 39A is probably the best of the 22 lever rifles that are or have been available. Over the years there have been various models available. Winchester (922, I believe), Remington (Nylon 76), Mossberg (Palamino), Browning (BL22), and Henry also made or currently make lever 22's.

Bentonville

How difficult are they to strip for necessary cleaning (as opposed to detail stripping which I try never to do due to ineptness)? I'm calling the guy now for a price. Thanks all for your input.

Mal H

Staff
Couldn't be much easier. Use a coin (quarter) to remove one large screw and the two halves will separate (I usually break it gently over my knee to prevent marring the barrel). Then slide out the bolt and it's ready to clean from the breech end.

PAHOGHUNTER

39a 1947

I purchased a MARLIN 39A a year or so ago at a public auction, after some research I found it was made in 1947. I just can't believe how smooth the action is, its got some loss of blueing but it still works fine.

Bentonville

thank you all for your valuable input, as usual. I am calling the guy now to see if I can work out the details of a purchase. Sometimes these older men are unique in how they think and deal with people. This man was pinned below the deck of a cruiser at Okinawa due to a Kamikaze attack. He is a true patriot and he deserves the right to be peculiar. He later became a NC Highway Patrolman and an armorer for the NCHP. He knows his Smiths inside and out. He loves WW2 guns as well. Hope he wants me to have the Marlin. You guys have me wanting one now. Thanks again.

Bentonville

225 is the price. I don't know the date. It is a 39 and not terribly old. In very good condition. Is that an ok price? Thanks a lot. I am going tomorrow to see it.

skeeter1

Jeebus, $225? If it's in decent shape, jump on it! I've had my Marlin 39D since 1970, and it's been 100% reliable and a fun gun to shoot.

gdm

get it.dont walk..run.

marlin makes good rifles.I had an 39A but sold it to try an get the smaller,shorter,lighter 39M for my son to learn to shoot.I went back to get the 39M and it was gone...just 5 days later.so get it now if you can,you wont regret it.

Bentonville

Ok. I know nothing about the Marlin 39. I am wanting a .22 so I can plink with my son who has a Ruger 22. I don't want another of those. This Marlin is pre safety???? That's what the guy told me on the phone. I don't know what that means as I am sure it has a safety. Is it a dangerous rifle to plink with if this is an older configuration? Thanks for help. I know at this point my questions are sketchy but that's the way gun purchases fall sometimes. I don't want a deal to get away but I don't want to get something I can't enjoy using either.

Dfariswheel

Marlin 39's made over the last 10 years or so have a manual safety.

This is a cross bolt on the receiver that blocks the hammer from moving forward.

Older "pre-safety" Marlins have a half-cock safety notch.
This is the old traditional safety as used on all the original lever-action Winchester and Marlin rifles.

As long as you pay attention and obey all safety rules these are completely safe.

skeeter1

My newer Marlin 1894 has a cross-bolt safety, which I never use. No problem.

My much-older Marlin 39 just has the half-cock safety, again, not a problem.

If you know how to handle a levergun, the safety is pretty much a non-issue.