Marlin 795 Review

aaronsc

the rem and marlin are very simular. $159? id be patient and look around. thats not a very good price for that rifle - though its worth it.
$159 is close to what most are selling for now. They aren't the $100 rifle they were a year ago. I just bought one for $150 shipped, and that was the cheapest I found, and they're weren't any in my LGSs. Maybe they are cheaper other places, I just couldn't find one.

$159 is close to what most are selling for now. They aren't the $100 rifle they were a year ago. I just bought one for $150 shipped, and that was the cheapest I found, and they're weren't any in my LGSs. Maybe they are cheaper other places, I just couldn't find one.

About a month ago Cabela's had the 795s on sale for $120 (or thereabouts). I haven't seen one for $100 recently, but they can still be had for less than $160.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

jmortimer

I paid around $120.00 for each of mine about 12 years ago. So the price has been stable. Mine have been flawless and my mags drop right out. I would check-out/clean-out/clean-up/deburr your mag well.

Big Shrek

As the Dollar drops in worth due to economic stupidity and overprinting by the Fed/President, all prices go up...

Remember when the current Dem. Admin hated on Big Oil??
Big Oil bites back...Double the price since 2008's $1.87 a gallon...
as Fuel prices go up, so does Everything else...

Everything is shipped these days...you think companies are going to eat it?? Nawp.
Even on Glamazon & Fleabay folks are seeing shipping costs rise...

Now once new tech's like the New Hydrogen Cell tank comes out in 2014 in 6 different fleet vehicles and they start getting popular...
and we get a nationwide refuling station system set up, then you'll start seeing oil drop...

Or if Rep's take over again, they love Big Oil, & Big Oil loves them...gas drops.
Ever notice that when Dems are in, they demonize oil, which runs the country...gas goes up...economy crashes...hrm, must be a connection!!
Carter felt that burn...Clinton learned from it...Obama didn't.

Anyway, watch for Black Friday Sales at the Big Box Sports Stores...and watch Marlin's Site for X-mas Rebates!!

Big Shrek

Marlin 795's are easy to pimp...and less expensive to pimp!!

I've got less than $250 in this one...including the cost of the rifle.
That includes pillar bedding as well...new stocks are useless without bedding!!
rifles-012.jpg

Big Shrek, that's sweet. Would you mind posting where you got your aftermarket parts? I'd be very interested, especially if there is a collapsible stock option. It would save me taking a band saw to the one I have where I need to shorten the stock for a young boy.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

pgdion

I like the marlin 795 better than the rem 597. I have the 597 in the VTR package. It's a fun gun but a little ammo picky. The Marlin on the other hand never misses a beat and is accurate as all heck. I think it's the better rifle.

aaronsc

I just got the chance to shoot mine. I think it's a great little gun. Very fun to shoot. i had forgotten how much fun .22s can be. It gave me no issues, even with the "horrible" Remington golden bullets. The factory sight were as stated so many times before, terrible, especially with my eyes. But I wasn't expecting target sights for the price of this gun.

even with the "horrible" Remington golden bullets.
The golden bullets group as well as Federal, Winchester, and CCI in mine. Maybe as I improve &/or move to greater distances then I will be able to distinguish a difference, but I can't now. I keep rotating between the manufacturers to see if something comes out as clearly better, but no clear winner yet.

But I wasn't expecting target sights for the price of this gun.
Yep. But I thoroughly enjoy my Tech Sights.

I think it's a great little gun. Very fun to shoot.
Amen. Welcome to the 'family' :)

buckweet

My 795 ... out shoots my CZ 452 AMERICAN.
all day long.
Best .22 rifle I've ever owned.
The Marlin 795.
Wait... I'll take that back.
All the marlins I own are great shooters.
Just can't go wrong with any of them.
The model 60s are also pure joy to shoot.

Last edited:

SR420

My M795 is the only .22LR I own.
It's set up with Tech sights, and a Holosun 503C.
Accurate, reliable, and light as a feather - it's a keeper.

baddarryl

I have had one for a few years. I have Tech Sights on it and a KAT trigger. I can hit quarter sized chunks of clay birds with it at 75 yards all day long. I got bored of shooting paper one day and decided to target the bird debris all over the berm. :). I have a bull barreled 10/22 Target that has been tuned for bench work and I dare say the 795 is nearly as accurate in informal testing at least.