Marlin 795 Review

Abel

Much has been said of late about this rifle, due to its low Mosin-like price. In the Great Recession, its good to be able to find cheap guns where possible. I bought my 795 back in 2010, and it has a 2009 s/n. I had heard about the problems with crooked scope rails, but mine was straight as an arrow. I took it to the range back in Feb. of this year with poor results. I had several stovepipes & jams with all hollowpoint ammo. I had several failure to ejects with copperplated remmy ammo. But boy would she group! :)

I went onto Rimfire Central and read all I could about the little 795. I made some small tweaks to the magazine & ejector. I also switched to CCI Mini Mag ammo, non-hollow points. I smoothed out the rough spots on the bolt and feed ramp. Then I applied some light lube-spray. I mounted a Simmons 3-9x32mm scope on top and went to the range.

What a difference. No jams at all. It was like day and night. This is the best $100 dollar rifle that I have ever owned. It can be counted on to fire and put the lead where you aim. After my prior trip to the range, this was a huge relief. After working on this little rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used one in a pawn shop...especially a stainless version. :cool:

images

Last edited:

Jbotto

Another fan of these rifles. The older ones seem like they are slightly better. Don't know the numbers right off hand of the one I have.

Crazy Carl

I picked one up recently, at Dicks. "$99 after rebate" (plus a $20 rewards certificate :cool: ).

Took a few mags' worth of CCI Minimags, before all 5 mags ran perfectly (the ol' failure to strip the 10th rd issue) & one mag needed some minor tweaking, but she runs like a sewing machine now.

Accurate? Wow. Seriously. It's not CZ452 & $$$ ammo accurate, but 10 shot, one-hole groups at 25yds are easy.

Put some Tech Sights on 'er & ran a Ruger Rimfire Challenge match & actually shot better than I normally do with my 60DLX.

In process currently of inletting an older 995 stock to drop 'er into. Trigger guard area is done; just need to tweak the barrel channel a bit & she'll be good to go.

Damn fine gun, for very few $$$.

pgdion

I love mine. It's nothing special for sure but it always works well and is really accurate. Hard to beat at $129. Great little rifle. Keep meaning to pick up some 15rd magazines for it (gotta remember to do that!)

Wallyl

Marlin 795

Great rifle...is very light, pointableand accurate. Good with a scope or the iron sights. Lots of fun to shoot. I polished the front sight blade so it was silver to make for easier "pick up" when using.

Marlin uses the picitinny (SP) )scope mount that I don't like until I found a base that clamps onto it that is wonderful. The base uses two socket head screws. You can remove it and put it back and the zero will not change... I found I like shooting it with and without a scope.

Bought it for $99.95 on a rebate deal...

wnycollector

Another happy $99 Marlin 795 owner here. I needed an extra rifle to go shooting with both of my sons and this fit my budget. My youngest son actually prefers the 795 to my green mountain barreled 10/22 and CMMG AR-22.

toolmaan

I bought one late last year, just took it to the range a couple of months ago. I was very impressed. I think I paid $109 at Dicks

American Eagle

Man, I overpaid for mine. It came out to $115 after rebate. I bought it last week. Either way it is a bargain considering the quality that you get. It might not be fancy with it's rouged plastic stock and overall rough appearance, but this little rifle is a gem out of the box.

It is a lot of fun to shoot and mine has not jammed on me after 400 rounds in the past week. It is very accurate too. I did not thing it was possible to get so much reliability and accuracy for so little money.

pgdion

Yea, mine is my little .22 work horse. The stock is maybe a little cheap and the sights aren't great, but for the price, man what a great gun it's been. Always reliable. Sure like the looks of that SS one Abel!

American Eagle

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have just crossed the one year mark of me getting my Marlin 795. In the past year I've put 2,500 rounds through it and the rifle continues to be extremely accurate and extremely reliable. I have only had three failures with it in 2,500 rounds... .22LR that was struck and failed to fire. But that was due to the bullet itself being faulty, and not the rifle. I loaded it again and it fired with the second strike.

Out of all the firearms purchases I have ever made, this is the one where the actual firearm far exceeded any expectations I had. For $115, this rifle offers an obscene amount of value for your money. It may not have the aftermarket parts availability of the Ruger 10/22, but out of the box it is a far better rifle than the Ruger 10/22 (I know because I have both.)

I recommend the Marlin 795 to anyone looking for a .22lr rifle. You will never regret the purchase. Thank you Marlin for making such a wonderful, reliable, and extremely affordable .22lr rifle.

Last edited:
Odd coincidence that you'd post this today. A couple of weeks ago I shot a 50 yard head-to-head comparison with a 10/22, CZ452, and Savage Mark II all with 3-9X scopes and found the CZ452 the best. I'd been wondering about my Marlines, so just today I had my $99 795 out and shot it against the CZ. The CZ was still best, but the results indicate that my $99 795 would beat my $260 Savage Mark II hands down. (it was a little more windy today and I only had a cheapo 4X scope on the 795 and it still shot better groups than the Mark II did 2 weeks ago.)

American Eagle

The CZ452 is 4 times the cost of the Marlins, and for the extra price I do agree that you get a better rifle than the humble Marlins 795. I have shot the CZ452 and it is by far the most accurate .22lr rifle I have ever fired. At 100 yards, whatever you aim at will get hit 100% of the time. And the build quality of the CZ is outstanding.

However, I think we both agree that at around $100 bucks, our Marlin 795s were ridiculously excellent value for the money. I still find it hard to believe that one could get so much accuracy and reliability for a $100 bill. That $20 rebate was too good to pass up.

I took a friend shooting last week, and he fell in love with my Marlin 795. When I told him that I got it for just over $100, he went crazy and made me drive him all the way to Bass Pro Shop so he could purchase one for himself.

wnycollector

I think we both agree that at around $100 bucks, our Marlin 795s were ridiculously excellent value for the money. I still find it hard to believe that one could get so much accuracy and reliability for a $100 bill.

+1 on this.

My son has probably put another 2K rounds through his 795 over the course of the past year with zero issues and impressive accuracy.

droptrd

Another 795 fan here. paid $107 out the door for mine. even at 1022 prices id feel it would be a good value. i love my 795

T2Gnoz

Got mine for free. My father bought it as a gift for me for our first hunting trip. Not the first firearm I have used, but it is a great gun for the money. I have been able to hit HDshots on squirrels at 25yds+ no problem, and that's saying a lot seeing as my scope only magnifies things about 2X. Haven't had any issues yet, and I have put at least 300rds through already. Great little varmint rifle if you like a little challenge getting up close to your game. Great fun.

Ira7

Hi guys. New to The Firing Line, and new to guns.

These days, BassPro has the 795 for $159, and with the Remington 597 at $189, I'm having a hard time making a choice.

Help please?

droptrd

the rem and marlin are very simular. $159? id be patient and look around. thats not a very good price for that rifle - though its worth it.

I love my 795s. I have two. One (mine) with Tech Sights and one with a Cabella's 3-9 caliber specific scope I picked up on sale for $50 (less than the Tech Sights). The one with the scope will become my 10 year old buddy Ryan's rifle as soon a he earns his Rifleman patch. The stock is too long for his arms and he can't properly shoulder the rifle. I'm going to cut down the butt in one inch increments in such a way that I can add them back as he grows. Other rifles I'd hesitate to modify like that, but not this one at this price.

Now if I can just get mine smoothed so the magazine drops out on its own then I'll be ecstatic about the rifle.

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge