Marlin 60: buy new, or buy old ?

SHR970

Either way, buy at least two replacement buffers and do NOT take the receiver apart. Once those sideplates come off, you are in trouble.

If you make this mistake you will need 5 slave pins and 4 hands to get it back together again. The same holds for the Camp carbines.

That said, go for a Marlin (Pre Remington).. there have been far too many reports of QC problems with the Remington made guns to be a coincidence.

FrankenMauser

Well, shut my mouth and call me stupid, then.
Guess I should go toss my 25 year old version in the trash.
Never mind that it always did good at our local silhouette matches.
Occasionally, the QA department screwed up and let a decent one through.

Onward Allusion

Buy new. Buying a used 22LR semi auto rifle as a shooter is a dice roll. New shooters like 10/22, 60, 795, & 702 Shooters are inexpensive. I can't think of a reason to buy those types of guns used unless they're A LOT less than new.

jmr40

I've had a few Marlin 60's including my 1st rifle given to me around 1970. I wouldn't buy another at any price. There are so many other better options.

Tuzo

My 1989 Marlin 60

In my opinion my 1989 is the "best" Marlin 60 because it has a 22 inch barrel, 18-round magazine, plus bolt hold-open after the last shot. Some time before this rifle was manufactured there was no hold-open feature and later rifles lost the 18-round magazine which was replaced by 15-rounders. NJ receives the blame for reduced magazine capacity. And it shoots quite well without hiccuping due to (you name any brand) ammo.

Picked it up at a gunshow while hunting for a Marlin 99 that I never could find.

joed

I have one from the late 60's or early 70s. It has never failed to feed and is accurate enough for a .22 rf. Problem is it never gets used, I don't shoot 22s anymore.

But it has never given me any problems at all. It eats any ammo that I feed it. Maybe some day I'll shoot it again. Darn, I thought I had a picture of it to post but guess not.

Pathfinder45

If you do decide to take those sideplates apart, it is essential to first release the hammer from the cocked position to the fired position. Otherwise, somethings gonna fly, and far. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! If you aren't good at foreseeing what could go wrong, or maybe you're accident prone; maybe don't do it. On the other hand, if you have rebuilt your own carburetors or chainsaws successfully, you'll probably be fine.

Tad_T

I love them. Especially the Squirrel stock ones. We used to call them squirrel getters when I was a kid. I've probably gotten more than a pickup load of squirrels and another pickup load of rabbits with a Model 60.

I have no idea how many water moccasins and snapping turtles that I shot out of our ponds while I was growing up. Probably another couple of pickup loads.

I have five of them, well actually four. I have four Squirrel stock Marlin Glenfield Model 60's, a 1970, a 1972, a 1975, and a 1979.

I also have a 1974 Oak Leaf stock Revelation Model 120 which was the Western Auto store brand and model number for the Model 60's that Marlin built for them. That's the fifth one.

They are great little rifles to keep around for teaching kids to shoot. They're light, accurate, reliable if you clean them, and just fun.

SHR970

I had two of these... A J.C. Penny and a Monkey Wards both bought used. I ran both of them into the ground culling rabbits from alfalfa fields.

My first 10/22 was more field accurate than either of these and I made a lot of money off of the Marlins.

Pops1085

I'm a little conflicted on this one. Mines a 70's era I believe. At the very least, it still has the long 18 shot magazine tube and barrel. The problem is, mine isn't the most reliable. I've run it dripping wet, bone dry, and haven't seen much of a difference.

On the other hand, I got it as my first rifle when I was 12, and there's just something about the way it handles and aims that I love. It is still by far the most accurate 22 I own. No kidding, it will still shoot about 1" 20 round groups at 75 yards if I have it on the sandbags. I've looked at the new ones and haven't been impressed.

Also, a thing to remember is that if you want to unload it the "safe" way by dumping the magazine tube and extracting the one in the chamber, that you have to do it twice as there's a round on the lifter when you rack it. Most people don't know that and think that by racking the handle after dumping the magazine tube that they're clear. Always check and re-check, especially with the Model 60.

All that said, I still take it hunting with me all the time and shoot it more than any other rifle (22's included) I own. Just something about the way it handles and shoots. It feels solid too. I just accept that it's never going to run quite right and I've gotten quite good at popping out the jammed shells.

It's still on the never sell list. Hope that helps. Love mine.

Edit: was reading through the other posts and I agree, do NOT use brake cleaner or even the old gun scrubber. I did that and realized I forgot to fully lube all the parts again, there was some rust in there and the buffer was all chewed to hell. Just stick to something mild like CLP or whatever you want, but don't drench it in oil stripping solvents without at least using another aerosol oil.

Last edited:

Pops1085

That could be it, I've never locked the bolt back when reassembling it, never even knew you were supposed to, Ha! Looking at that video it appears that they must have changed the aluminum lifter/feed throat shape at some point. Mine definitely does not have the cut outs on the sides, I'm assuming that it was meant to help with reliability.

The problem I usually have is the bolt overriding the round coming up, and kind of smashing the shell into the front of the feed throat. So whenever that happens I have to lock the bolt back and just take a small stick or a screwdriver and pop the round forward and dump the shell.

That old guy really knows his marlins haha I'm watching all of his stuff now

Last edited:

Dain Bramage

It's telling that a Model 60 "buy" post always degrades into discussions on how to cure jams. I think FrankenMauser is right. The M60 is too cheaply made for the Rube Goldberg design.

I've got a 1981 that has been jamming for years despite my efforts to fix it. I'll have to try the "Nickel Trick" and see how it goes.

O4L

Arrow Dodger knows his stuff. If you have an issue with one he can probably tell you how to fix it.