Marlin 60: buy new, or buy old ?

oldcabin

I would like a Marlin 60. I like the idea of an inexpensive plinker, I have other firearms to do other stuff with.
What is your opinion? Buy a new one for $159-179 or buy an older (1970s or so ) used one and why?
New ones have more plastic right? Are there part availability problems with older ones? I found an older one with a maple squirrel stock and it looks clean. Money is really not that much different. sooo... I'm wondering what things I should be considering. Thanks.

I'd buy new unless you get a really screaming deal. As cheap .22s that were difficult to clean, a lot of Marlin Model 60s have been rode hard and put up wet, an then left in a closet for 20 years on top of that.

osbornk

I bought mine new for $105 in 2002. The used ones I found had an unknown history and I am glad I bought mine new even losing 3 rounds.

FrankenMauser

Buy very old (pre-'85), not at all, or buy new and plan on spending a few months waiting on the rifle to come back from Remington.

Model 60s haven't been good rifles for almost 40 years, and they've only gotten worse as that time passed - especially under Remington. There have been some good ones that slipped through the cracks, but most are garbage.

I would buy a Hi-Point pistol before I bought a new Model 60.

*(The above statements include my opinion and experience, and may not align with the opinions and experiences of others.)

Hawg

I have an old one and a newer one that's about 4 or 5 years old. The new one hasn't been any trouble at all and is just as accurate as the old one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new model 60.

ShootistPRS

Buy a new one. If they are "well used" there can problems with the lift wearing and it causes failure to function. The rifle is still very accurate it just doesn't feed at times.

Pathfinder45

I have owned three Marlin model 99-M1 carbines. They are simply a model 60 outfitted to resemble an M1 Carbine. The first one I bought brand new in '72. the other two were acquired 2nd hand, but they haven't made that version in many years. The triggers on all three are excellent, breaking smoothly at a crisp 4 pounds. My buddy has a newer Marlin model 60 with the last-shot-open-bolt feature. It has a very squishy trigger, almost like a DAO pistol, making accurate shooting a lot more challenging. I am very familiar with the innards of the older models; but somehow, they have done something different, probably to accommodate the bolt-hold-open-after-last shot feature. I haven't been inside the guts of these newer model 60's to see what's up. I like the older guns better and would buy one of those if I could get it at a price that leave's room for replacing the feed-throat and bolt. In other words, the older gun could be a project gun, but a project well worth doing. Ask me how I know.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Either way, buy at least two replacement buffers and do NOT take the receiver apart. Once those sideplates come off, you are in trouble. To clean, remove the stock and clean the gun in a sonic bath (preferred) or by sloshing the receiver in a bucket of cleaner.

Jim

osbornk

Model 60s haven't been good rifles for almost 40 years, and they've only gotten worse as that time passed - especially under Remington. There have been some good ones that slipped through the cracks, but most are garbage.

I would buy a Hi-Point pistol before I bought a new Model 60.

There are several million of us who bought new Model 60s in the last 40 years that would disagree with you. Most of us have found them to be very good rifles.

My Model 60 has been as reliable as the Hi-Point pistol I bought. Neither have had any problems at all. You can make fun of a Hi-Point being ugly and heavy but they are reliable and accurate with an outstanding warranty that is seldom needed.

g.willikers

^^^^^
Model 60s haven't been good rifles for almost 40 years
Well, shut my mouth and call me stupid, then.
Guess I should go toss my 25 year old version in the trash.
Never mind that it always did good at our local silhouette matches.

Model12Win

Old.

Marlin quality is not what it used to be. The old ones are FAR better, just like all old guns, way better than the new versions in most cases.

Hawg

buy at least two replacement buffers

They don't wear out that fast.

do NOT take the receiver apart. Once those sideplates come off, you are in trouble

Only for the easily intimidated. Watch what you're doing when you take it apart and you'll be ok.

Pathfinder45

I don't think I've ever had to replace the buffer on any. All the guts, that is, the firing mechanism, lifter, feed-throat, etc., stay together as a unit even as that unit is separated from the receiver for cleaning and the removal of the bolt. I believe that the buffer could be damaged by the bad practice of spraying with brake-cleaner. DON'T USE BRAKE-CLEANER! I use starting fluid. Don't take the side-plates apart unless you must replace some parts. Even then, know your limitations. I've torn my first one down extensively when I was 16 and got it all back together. But then, I'm inclined that way. You will probably never need to do that. Know your limitations, or springs will fly and circlips will get lost. It is one of the most successful semi-auto 22's out there. It didn't get that way by being poorly made. All semi-autos need to be cleaner than other types to be reliable.

Hawg

I've torn my first one down extensively when I was 16 and got it all back together.

I was around the same age. I tore apart my first Colt SA when I was 10, a 1911 when I was 12 and built a 94 Winchester out of a barreled receiver and a cigar box when I was 15 and there was no internet in those days. It's not rocket science.

hdbiker

I don't like the new Marlin 60's. the stocks aren't real wood and the receiver finish peels off. Not to mention the bolt hold open feature on the new ones !!! hdbiker