Marlin .44 mag, 1-20" twist

Pumpkin

I had a scoped 1:38 444 that would put 3 265 gr Hornady's touching all day long with a max charge of IMR 4198 at a 100 yds, very accurate. The same gun would put 3 Barnes original 300gr JHP's over a compressed load of H335 under an inch at 100.
Never got a chance to shoot a hog with the 300's but the 265 was a sledge hammer. Big hogs, no piglets. ;)
The Hornady 265 was also the same bullet that Remington loaded in their ammo.

Last edited:

bamaranger

reminder

Just a reminder that on Ruger's later model . 44 mag carbines, the 96/99 and 77/44 they did in fact use a 1:20 twist. That was a change from the early SA Ruger .44 carbines with tube feed that were 1:38. Proof enough for me that a faster twist is beneficial.

Who knows when, or even if, we'll see the new carbine, but I think there will be a demand.

Plainsman

Strange but my 336-44 shoots 265 gr Hornady FP more accurate than 240 gr bullets. I have no issue with Ruger changing to 1:20 but I agree totally with 44AMP's comments about lack of powder space in the 44 mag case, for heaver bullets.
tj
I have had similar results!

I have both a .44 and a .444 in JM Marlins with 1 in 38” Microgroove barrels. The Hornady 265 FPs out of both will cloverleaf for me at 50 yards shooting standing, supported using Williams peep sights and gold bead factory fronts.

I wish I had bought more of those bullets before they were discontinued!

44 AMP

Staff
Came back to this thread to see what was added, and ran across this,

Just a reminder that on Ruger's later model . 44 mag carbines, the 96/99 and 77/44 they did in fact use a 1:20 twist. That was a change from the early SA Ruger .44 carbines with tube feed that were 1:38. Proof enough for me that a faster twist is beneficial.

So, I did some digging and found an old Speer manual that listed twists (1974)

At that time all the .44 Mag rifles used 1-38" twist rates. Ruger and S&W pistols used 1-20" and the Contender used 1-22".

So, I think that while it is possible Ruger changed the twist rate on their later production carbines to improve their performance, I think its also possible they did it simply as an economic measure allowing them to use the same machinery settings they were using in their pistol barrels.

I don't know if it was one reason or the other or a combination of both, but it seems possible.

bamaranger

twists

Yes, I would certainly agree that Ruger would take any step that would economize production and yield some increase in profit. The new .44 carbine line was likely dropped because of low sales and lack of sufficient profit.

But I would hope that Ruger had reconsidered their twist rate selection from 1961. As noted the slow twist rates were standard at the time for various manufacturers carbines and I suspect harken clear back to the .44-40 in the early Winchesters. Ruger had introduced the Super Blackhawk in '59 (before the carbine) and could have applied the logic of same twist rates for both at that time, but did not. Carbine twists were slow, and I suspect that the logic was accepted and the Ruger went ahead with its 1:38. In that same era, the 240-250 gr bullet was pretty much industry standard.

By 1996. with the introduction of the 96/99 series there was an interest in shooting heavier bullets from the .44 mag. Hornady had its 265 grain bullet available, and I think Speer offered a 300 gr number, I think with two cannelures two allow for carbine and revolver, and there may have been others. There were articles written about shooting very large game with cast lead bullets weighing in excess of 300 gr. The slow twisted carbines did not shoot those slugs well. (I suspect the really long slugs may not have cycled thru the actions, but that's another matter) . My thought is that Ruger considered these trends when selecting twist rates for the new carbines.

Contemporary .44 lever carbine producers seem to have recognized the need to tighten up. I read Henry started out with 1-38 but are now 1-20. Since Henry does not produce revolvers, this seems an obvious nod towards improving accuracy with heavier bullets. Rossi carbines I read are 1-30, some improvement from the traditional rate as well. Chiappa is twisted faster as well.

Why did Ruger do it in 1996 and continue (we hope) with the Marlin 94 if they get around to it. I guess we'll never know for sure.....may well be for both reasons, accuracy and economy.

Mannlicher

my 1894 in .44 Mag has done well with the Speer 270 grain GDSP bullet over H110 powder. That rifle has a 1:38 twist barrel. I get 1600 fps, and cloverleaf groups at 50 yards. 1 1/2 inch groups or less at 100 yards. I have accounted for a lot of deer and hogs with that load. A lot.