Marksmen issued better rifles in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirod

If commonality existed in the Army inventory, it's been a secret. And since nobody writing contract specifications has made it an issue, it would explain why it only seems to come up when it's at the convenience of the manufacturer. No sense reinventing the wheel when one machine gun part can be used for another.

In rifles, the AR15 shares some parts with the AR10, sure. Not the barrel, bolt, upper, lower, bolt carrier, charging handle, etc. Mostly the fire control parts. Like I said, you can't design a part to do both jobs - it's either weak or overbuilt. That's why the AR15 weighs as little as 6 pounds, and the AR10 can rarely get under 8. It also points out that engineers make more of these decisions than spec writers. What the Army wants is results, not a few NSN's that happen to just work for more than one system.

As was said, you go to war with what you have. If the M14 refit points out something, it's that in a few years, we'll have 5,000 refitted M14's. We are still using 50 year old + .50 cal MG's, the Army is ok with that. Refurbing some more M14's won't even dent someone's training fuel budget. Integrating them into the existing logistics train is a matter of another crate of ammo. The Army gets more stuff fielded yearly than weapons, it's part of the workload.

The view from one pair of boots is often restricted. After 22 years of working with Infantry, OSUT, BN and GP logistics, MP's, and a tour on a tropical island, I've learned it's not about my favorite rifle or being John Wayne.

SR420

As was said, you go to war with what you have. If the M14 refit points out something, it's that in a few years, we'll have 5,000 refitted M14's. We are still using 50 year old + .50 cal MG's, the Army is ok with that.

Refurbing some more M14's won't even dent someone's training fuel budget. Integrating them into the existing logistics train is a matter of another crate of ammo. The Army gets more stuff fielded yearly than weapons, it's part of the workload.

Well said - thank you :)

If commonality existed in the Army inventory, it's been a secret. And since nobody writing contract specifications has made it an issue, it would explain why it only seems to come up when it's at the convenience of the manufacturer.

On the contrary parts commonality has been a factor in small arms presolicitation requests since at least 2004. And I'll put some money down they'll be mentioned again in future small arms requirements, to include any long-term future DMR.

Not to mention that unless they do maximize that parts commonality, the rifle will get cut from the budget as soon as peacetime rolls around.

BlueTrain

I think we have arrived at permanent war or permanent emergency, so you don't need to worry about peacetime problems anymore. Also, I'm not so sure about the Harley thing. From what I've seen, a Harley is an old person's bike.

Jimro

BlueTrain,

I think we have arrived at permanent war or permanent emergency, so you don't need to worry about peacetime problems anymore.

We've had double the deaths Jan/Feb this year than we did last year. Not a lot of news agencies are screaming for withdrawal now.

I'm not saying it is a media conspiracy, just saying that it's easy to forget about the boots on the ground when "Obamacare" dominates the news cycle.

Jimro

Status
Not open for further replies.