Marksmen issued better rifles in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR420

032210at_mtnwolf168_800.JPG

TACOM M14EBRs in Afghanistan

“It’s a very precise weapon system,” said Spc. Andrew McMeley, a squad designated marksman serving in
Afghanistan with B Company, 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment. “All the improvements on it are fantastic.”

DMK

Now how did I know that it would be an M14 before I even clicked on the thread? :D

Cool rifle though.

Kmar40

Being replaced with the M110 of course but for now all those surplus M14s will do the job well enough.

In every peace time, the military does stupid stuff like replace the submachine guns with M14s or get rid of the DRM/ Sniper rifles.

The M14 does ok in the DRM role, but doesn't cut it as a real sniper wepaon.
In Afghanistan, all it has to do is be better than the Dragunov. And that it is.

Last edited:

Kmar40

You know what, they'd be better off with the FAL.
Yep, but Army Ordnance Corps was dead set against it.

The rest of the world chose correctly though.

If we had chosen the FAL in an intermediate cartridge instead of insisting on a rifle that was obsolete the day it was designed, we probably would still be using the FAL.

The M14 was simply a Garand that corrected the major shortcoming of the Garand, the magazine. The Army Ordnance Corp, defying all logic, had insisted on not having a detachable magazine in the Garand. It wasn't like box magazine were newfangled and unproven in the 30s.

Moloch

It wasn't like box magazine were newfangled and unproven in the 30s.
Yeah, just look at the BAR, worked like a charm, 20 rounds of pure pleasure in a nice handy box but NOOOOO, not for the Garand. :confused:

SR420

I'm not hearing anything good about the M110, post up some positive press... if can find any.

FAL fans still can't accept the fact that Army Ordnance Corps chose the M14... :rolleyes:

I can't figure out what is so difficult about tooling up and making brand spanking new M14s.

They seem to keep rebuilding the old kits from the 50s and 60s.

oneoldsap

It's good to know that our troops are finally being armed with real rifles . It was one of the worst days of my life when they took away my M-14 and gave me that Mattel POS . Now I know there are those out there who think the .223 and it's military platform is the greatest thing since sliced bread . If you have been in combat in the jungle with it I'll respect your opinion , otherwise not!

javven

I'm all about the AR-15 platform. However, all hail the M-14 :)

Excellent battle rifle - esp when range gets longer and targets get stronger.

RamSlammer

Nice new stocks on old iron. Have to agree that the FAL/HK91 platform was/is better. For that kind of weight in a long range role, I personally would prefer the old FN49.
FN49_sample_pic2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.