Man fires gun at a gun show.

FITASC

So, as the commenters mentioned, WHY was there a loaded mag in the gun at the show? Seems the 73 year old seller has some explaining to do.....

Nathan

I'm never pulling the trigger, unless I see the chamber is empty.....The shopper and owner ought to split the damages and pay the kids $5000 each to show they're sorry.

MosinM39

Clear a gun before handing to another person, when receiving a gun, make sure its clear before doing anything else.

carguychris

kenny53 said:
The place went dead silent in about one second.
I was at a gun show in Ft. Worth several years ago when someone had an AD, and IMHO the most memorable thing about it was experiencing hundreds of talking people suddenly silence themselves in a heartbeat. It was spooky.

The next thing that happened was everyone in the room who came with friends or family quietly asking their companions if they were OK. Fortunately, the bullet went into an exterior wall with concrete block on the outside, so nobody was injured.

I was told that a vendor had brought a loaded mag buried in a box, and a potential buyer had inserted it into his pistol to check fitment and pulled the trigger, but this may have just been a rumor.

BigJimP

There should never be a loaded mag...in or near any gun for sale at a show!! ( or any loose ammo around on the sales table for that caliber )...

But i'm glad Noone was hurt too badly....( seller and buyer are both idiots, in my view )....

turkeestalker

Typically it will be a law enforcement officer or two checking for loaded firearms at the door of gun shows in my area. Those however are the firearms brought in by show attendees who are looking to possibly sell or trade them, I doubt anyone checks the vendors wares.

Glad the teens are ok.

I remember a fella who had a couple of shotguns in soft cases that he wanted to sell at a local show arguing and seeming quite offended with the requirement that they be checked. I remember him asking angrily if the people checking thought he was stupid as I was paying for myself and my sons to get in.
One had a couple of shells in the magazine and the other had one in the chamber. His demeanor changed from offended to humbled in an instant.

Last edited:
The person who fired the gun will likely not be cited as the case was determined to be an accident, he said. The incident is a good reminder for all gun owners, Carriger noted.
While I sort of agree that the buyer should not be charged, it was not an "accident," it was negligence. IMHO, it was the seller who was negligent. A firearm for sale should never have a loaded magazine in it or near it.

spacecoast

I was told that a vendor had brought a loaded mag buried in a box, and a potential buyer had inserted it into his pistol to check fitment and pulled the trigger, but this may have just been a rumor.

Two other things would have been necessary - ignoring the round poking its head out of the mag before it was inserted, and deliberately chambering that round before pulling the trigger. Seems hard to believe.

TMD

Every gun show I've ever been to attendees that have any firearms they bring with them are checked in at the door and a zipstrap is put on it to prevent it from being loaded BUT it appears that anyone who sets up a table at the show isn't inspected. A few years ago I attended at a local show where a pistol caught my eye. It was on a table of a private seller. I picked it up and pulled the slide back and out flew a live round. It caught me by complete surprise. I then dropped the mag only to find it was fully loaded. Thankfully I wasn't some dumbass who just didn't pick it up and pull the trigger. Also one of the owners of the show just happened to be standing very close to me and witnessed it. The private sell was told to remove every gun off the table and leave the show immediately.

In many cases, the problem isn't with the attendees bringing in checked guns, but all the guns the vendors bring in that are not checked. Quite often, the person pulling the trigger is the vendor, but not always.

I was at a gun show in Frisco, Texas when the Glock repair guy discharged a gun into the floor. I went to the floor. Everyone I could see stood still like lookyloo targets trying to see what happened. It was a good 15 seconds before security responded. Mind you, they were just outside of the ballroom in the corridor, but they took their sweet time before making entry.

Don P

WHY was there a loaded mag in the gun at the show?
Here in FLA before you enter if you are carrying you have to present your gun, they will check to see its unloaded and then they will zip tie the gun making it a paperweight while in the show. So I can have a loaded mag in my pocket. until I leave the show its another paperweight.

TailGator

IMHO, it was the seller who was negligent.

I will respectfully disagree with that. It is the responsibility of every gun handler to check for himself or herself that a firearm is clear. I'm not saying anyone should be charged, but both buyer and seller failed, in my mind.

45_auto

aguila blanca said:
While I sort of agree that the buyer should not be charged, it was not an "accident," it was negligence.

You really believe that the event was planned or intended?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accident

Merriam-Webster dictionary

accident
noun ac·ci·dent \ˈak-sə-dənt, -ˌdent; ˈaks-dənt\

Simple Definition of accident
:a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury

negligent
adjective neg·li·gent \-jənt\

Simple Definition of negligent
: failing to take proper or normal care of something or someone

There was an accident due to someone's negligence. "Accident" is a noun, "negligence" is an adjective. You can have an accident, but you can't have a negligent.

Last edited:

reynolds357

It happens. I have seen it happen to NRA firearms instructors. Law enforcement firearms instructors. Fellow SWAT team members. It has even happened to me, despite the fact that I am perfect.:rolleyes:

You really believe that the event was planned or intended?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accident

It may not have been planned or intended, but it did happen out of negligence.

All too often, people play the "it was an accident!" card because they didn't intend for something to go wrong so as to absolve themselves from responsibility, but it went wrong because they acted negligently and are responsible for what went wrong.

It is sort of like my insurance adjuster told me. They don't call cars hitting one another in intersection "accidents." They call them collisions or wrecks. Why? Because one or both parties caused the unintended convergence to happen, usually out of some form of driver neglect.