Making your own primers.

alan

Unclenick writes:
As to primers, like black powder, the earlier the technology gets, the more primitive and simpler the required knowlege and equipment are. Making modern non-corrosive stuff is, like smokeless powder, going to involve temperature controlled processes and far more difficult to obtain chemical compounds. The old corrosive chlorate recipes will be easier, though you'll have to clean your guns with boiling water after you use them.

-----------------

Cleaning guns fired with the older corrosive primers can present rusting problems. The WW 2 GI Bore Cleaner supposedly took care of that problem. Otherwise, flushig the barrel with water will dissolve the salt (chlorate residue) left from corrosive primners. Boiling or just plain hot water is not necessary, though it is nice. Water is the "active ingredient". Dry and oil after the water treatment.

brickeyee

"Boiling or just plain hot water is not necessary, though it is nice. Water is the 'active ingredient'."

And anyone who passed chemistry 101 will tell you that hotter water will dissolve the salts better and increase the chance of removing ALL of the contamination.

TEDDY

primers??

in afganistan the natives made primers by decapping 303 and stratening the cups Berdan use matches for compound.cut up ceuloid for powder.I have made primers by using cap gun caps.actualy it would be easy to go to a c&b revolver.put cap gun caps on nipples or make cups and put two caps in.they stopped the salutes from having over so many grams of powder because ediots blew them selves up.oops I did not need that eye as I have two.and the same with that hand.I lived in that time period.pipe guns salutes and marbles.just learn but dont do it.:D:rolleyes:

alan

brickeyee noted:

And anyone who passed chemistry 101 will tell you that hotter water will dissolve the salts better and increase the chance of removing ALL of the contamination.

-------------------

True, and often heat enhances or speeds up chemical reactions, though re the dissolving of salt residue is not a chem reaction. Water is the "active" ingredient, thre more the better, and hot certainly does help. Point taken..

jmorris

I just hope TFL doesn't close down from folks being told how dangerous firearms (any and all) are and how many people have been killed from them due to miss use and ill information (I’d bet “they” could provide more statistics on deaths from firearms than anyone could provide on primer compounds).