Making an AR-15 a Deer Rifle...

Trxxx

Expecting a rifle that shoots better than you isn't unreasonable and is a responsible venture.

I'm not disputing that in any way - just suggesting that for 50 yard shots it doesn't much matter if your rifle is 1 MOA, 2 MOA or 3MOA. Given that, it might be much more reasonable option to buy a cheap second rifle in an appropriate calibre rather than spending more money on modifying the AR. But it comes down to personal preference.

P-990

Trxxx,
I thank you for your input. I already have a suitable hunting rifle in my Remington 700. What I am thinking about is maybe taking my AR or an AR at a later date and thusly I want to learn what possibilities are out there now.

It isn't a matter of inherent accuracy, it is how well I can utilize that accuracy. Considering that I put 3-4000 rounds through my match AR each season at 200 yards or more, plus a few hundred through an old Colt Sporter to boot, the AR-15 is a rifle I can just pick up and hit stuff with with confidence. I could certainly spend more time with my Remmy and get more comfortable, but then it comes down to the amount of time available to practice and which firearm I pick to utilize that practice time with.

When I am trying to get ready for the National Matches at Camp Perry or the end-of-season New Hampshire State Service Rifle championships or going to LEG matches next season, I'll be practicing with the AR. I know it isn't the same type of shooting as hunting, but shooting is shooting to a point.

joshua

You know what? You got the answers already. You'd rather use your 03 if it comes down to shooting a .30 cal. The 6.5 and 6.8 are about even and the .50 Beowulf will be more than adequete if not overkill for deer. I'd say the .50 because you may think about using it for bears and the bigger bears. josh

Picher

I wouldn't bother with the .223 round for deer in Maine if there was any other choice. When in high school and college, I had a .30-06, but never shot a deer with it, so I sold it and bought a .22-250. I then shot three deer in as many years. Guess the deer weren't intimidated by it, but they were wrong. However a couple of experiences with the smaller caliber convinced me to get another .30-06, but to keep the .22-250 for varminting.

Years ago, I had bad experiences with the .22-250, using 55 grain solid-based Nosler bullets. It killed fine when I could take the time to place the bullet exactly where I wanted it and where there wasn't a twig in the way, but I missed at least two huge deer because the bullet couldn't get through a few tiny branches without being deflected. Yes, it did kill a few deer in open areas, but if you don't have to rely on such a small bullet, you're better off not doing so. The first shot is the so critical when it comes to hunting; relying on second - fifth shots is not often going to result in a clean kill.

After those two instances I got another .30-06 and shot a lot of deer with few misses due to brush, but I'm also careful about placing shots between trees/limbs. Scopes allow better placement, especially in darker woods.

I let my brother-in-law borrow the .22-250 one day, but cautioned him to shoot only at standing deer and through the lungs. Well, two hours later, five deer ran by him in a field and he shot one in the hindquarter as it was going away. The wound ruined the hindquarer and we had to track the deer a mile before another hunter shot it and took the bro's first deer away. It was an excruciating lesson for him. I wasn't too darned happy either.

My .270 has been be okay in the woods, but probably not as good as the .'06 with heavier bullets. I use it mainly for fields and woods roads.

Picher

tulsamal

I've been reading up on the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 Remington. I would like to get one or the other sometime next year. My reading has convinced me that the 6.5 Grendel would be better for me. I handload everything I shoot anyway. I want top accuracy and I want the best long range performance. That's the Grendel.

Gunblast did a review of the complete rifle you can buy from Alexander Arms. Check out the group sizes Jeff got! And look at the photos of the 6.5 and 6.8 rounds with their brass sectioned. Then it all starts to make sense.

http://gunblast.com/AlexanderArms_65Grendel.htm

Then you can go to AA's themselves and check out their several pages of facts.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/website/id22.html

I also found this store which sells the AA rifles and uppers at a reduced price.

http://www.competitionshooting.com/catalogue/category33

What I really want is a rifle like the M-16 MK 12 that the Army is using for a Designated Marksman Rifle. But they are using heavy bullet .223 loads in it. Loads that aren't easily available to civilians. (Not when you are actually wanting to buy some.) So I would like a MK12 style rifle but in 6.5 Grendel. At this point I'm thinking I'll just buy a RRA lower with A2 buttstock and the two stage target trigger. Than I'll have to figure out which AA 6.5 upper will get me the closest to what I want. Then I'll need to pick a scope and I'll have an easy to shoot rifle with the potential to hit things VERY far away!

Oh, one more thing. AA sells 10 and 17 round magazines for the caliber. The 17 round magazine looks about like an old 20 shot M-16 magazine. But I read somewhere that the 6.5 and 6.8 can use the same magazines. So you could buy some Barrett 6.8 25 shot magazines and use those if you thought you just HAD to have higher capacity!

Gregg

As previously posted,

In Texas(especially the southeast), a .223 AR-15 is a ,"Deer Rifle":) . It doesn't take much to drop a little deer at at under 200 yards with good shot selection and properly selected .223, IMHO. I say either go 6.5(if you plan to take longer than 200yd shots) or 7.62 Russian(if you are limiting it to hogs and deer under 200)...Hmmm, then again, those AR's in WSM and WSSM are starting to find a use where before I thought they were gimmicks...A .270 WSM AR will do deer all day as far as you can accurately shoot...

In the end, you really do have, Too Many Choices!?(which is probably just enough :D )