Making an AR-15 a Deer Rifle...

P-990

Yep. It seems crazy, I fully realize it, but I had to start this.

First off, let me say that I am not exactly in favor of taking a .223 AR-15 out deer hunting. Just doesn't seem like enough gun to me, unless we're taking head-shots only on small rat-deer.

That said, I decided at the range today that I really do shoot better away from the bench with an AR-15 than I do with a "conventional" deer rifle. I mean, way better. Granted, 50 yards isn't much of a test, but 50 yards is how far a shot is likely to be in these woods anyway. But offhand, sitting, kneeling, braced, whatever, I can definitely shoot an AR-15 well.

So...

I'm looking at a longer future forecast before the budget allows this, but I figured I'd get a forum concensus. The options I see for turning an AR into a semi-useful deer gun are:

A) 7.62x39mm upper

B) 6.8mm SPC upper

C) .50 Beowulf

D) 6.5 Grendel

What is the concensus on the future of these options? I realize that in terms of power, that the Beowulf stomps all of the other. But availability and ease of use are concerns, to a point. I do reload, so finding commercially made ammo isn't a huge issue, in my mind. What does everybody think for making an AR-15 into a 100-150 yard deer rifle? Which is the most logical route?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Given that you realize the limitations, I'd just go with the .223, but use as heavy a bullet as the twist of your barrel will allow. Just be picky and sure about your shot.

Art

deadin

Unfortunately here in Washington .223 just isn't big enough around to be legal for deer, regardless of the power it develops. Minimum for deer, etc is .24 cal. (6mm). Cougar can be taken with .22 Centerfire.

Dean

Toney

I think the 762-39 is a neat little round. Have not shot deer with it yet.

PS I did kill buck with soft point bullet pulled from wolf in my t99 jap at around 2300fps. worked alot better than expected

deadin

.311, 180gr(?) at 2300 fps on deer - I should hope so!;)
If it didn't, I wouldn't want to meet that deer in a dark alley.:D

Dean

Samuel2001

I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking of the same thing.

Here in the Peoples Republik .223 Cal. is not allowed to hunt with either or any other .22 for that mater. So Iv'e been daydreaming about getting a 16" or 18" Heavy-Barreled flat top upper in 6.8 SPC and mounting a low power scope like a 1.5-5 of some sort. Out here deer are as big as german shepards, so a super big magnum belted thumper cal is not needed, and shots rarely exeed 100 yards so a low power scope will do.

Also, the thought of harvesting a deer with a black rifle tickles me. It would be perfectly legal, and it would shut peoples mouth when they say that these rifles are not practical and cant even hunt with them. At that point I would produce a picture taken when I took my deer with my darn black rifle.

Now that would be priceless. :D

yorec

Tromix also produces uppers in 458 SOCOM and were going to produce one in 475 Tremors. (Brief glance at thier website looks like they did) Probably not quite as hard to handle as the 50 beowolf, but the 458 was comparable in energy produced to a 45-70! Might wanna check into those too...

Oh yeah - also 440 corbon and 50 AE...

Tromix website

DimitriS

The 50cal Beowolf was designed to give 45-70 balistics out of a AR-15 platform I belive therefor it should be good for harvesting deer.

Providing a semi automatic, light handy carbine with the performance of the old 45-70 rifle, the .50 Beowulf has also found favor with the Military and many Law Enforcement agencies.
http://www.alexanderarms.com/website/id4.html

Here in Ontario Canada your allowed to use centerfire rifles only for deer hunting so techniqully a 17 Remington is A'OK for use :eek:

I dont know if I would trust a flea gun to kill a deer though :eek:

Dimitri

P990-
If you hunt in a state where the .223rem is legal for deer; the AR will work fine as long as you choose the right bullet and are careful about making the right shot. Accuracy and power is probably good enough out to 200yds but farther out you will still be able to hit a deer but the terminal performance begins to dwindle. Choose the Federal 55gr or 62gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet or Winchester's 60gr Nosler Partition as these bullets will mushroom, hold together, and give you good penetration. Reserve your shots to broadside lung shots and you'll do just fine. Two years ago in Montana, I watched my friend's 12 year old son take a 240lb 28" Mulie with one shot from my .223. Double lunged right behind the shoulder at 120yds, the buck took 5 steps and then hit the deck. While I don't espouse the .223 as a deer cartridge it will work just fine under the right circumstances. In this Montana incident, the .223 worked as well if not better than most larger calibers that I have seen. The dad stated that he has never seen a pair of lungs as beat up as these; he's been shooting Rocky Mountain mulies for some 30 years.

P-990

Thanks for the replies so far all.

Yes, I DO live in a state where ANY centerfire is legal as a deer rifle. Must be a New England liberty or something... :rolleyes: Theoretically I could drop the weights out of my AR-15 (Service Rifle match configuration), block a couple of mags to 5 rounds, load my 77gr Noslers (hey, they're hollowpoints so the law is cool with that) and go merrily on my way.

*Sigh* Maybe for next year I'll pick up a 16-20" flattop in .223 and try out some 60gr Noslers or even the Trophy Bondeds. Doesn't Barnes make a heavier X or TSX Bullet in .224" too? Possibilities.

I don't deer hunt alot, but I do practice with the AR a huge amount of time, which makes me more confident in how well I can perform with the rig. Despite what one of my coworkers says, "It's a rifle, just pick it up and shoot," he won't go to the range and try to best me and my AR with any rig he has! :D

SR420

KAC SASS
2005_saas.jpg

Just over 16 pounds of High-Dollar 7.62mm AR.
For less than a third of the price you could just get yourself an M14 type rifle.

joshua

Cheapest way of making your AR a deer rifle in the woods will be a 7.62x39 upper. You'll have the same capability of a 30-30 Win. Heck with the cost of the upper you can get a Vepr AK and you'll have two rifles - best of both worlds. :D josh

P-990

AR-10: While it just a bigger AR-15, it is a BIG AR-15. No offense, but if I wanted that much of a workout to haul a gun around with me, I'd carry my match rifle. My current deer rifle is a Remington Mountain Rifle in .260 Remington, which likely tips the scales around 7.5 pounds or so scoped and loaded. Nice and handy, but I just don't shoot it as well as my AR (though a trigger job might help the issue a little).

As for getting a semi-auto other than an AR-type, I just can't warm up to the AKs and when I want to launch .30-cal bullets I prefer the 1903A3 bolt gun. Much more robust in terms of the kind of loading inputs I can give it versus a gas gun.

Clayfish

As long as it's leagal go for it. Just use heavy bullets and either shoot the deer in the head or neck. I would not shot a deer in the chest with a .223. Just place your shot well and you'll be fine.

chemist308

Here in Ontario Canada your allowed to use centerfire rifles only for deer hunting so techniqully a 17 Remington is A'OK for use
PA--in U.S. has the same law. Kinda funny.

Anyway I've often wondered if the 'gymnastics' of the heavier 223 rounds would make it suitable to larger game.

TPAW

Buy an SKS for about $150.00 in 7.62x39. Great deer round and ammo is cheap. I'd go with Wolf 154 grain soft point. 1000 rounds for about $90.00.
It will knock a deer down as sure as a 30-30.

Lycanthrope

Oly makes uppers in the WSM calibers. .300 WSM is a heck of a deer cartridge. Otherwise the 6.5 grendel has ballistics that are very good.

Trxxx

50 yards is how far a shot is likely to be in these woods anyway

At the risk of not answering the question, then - why the concern about ultimate accuracy at 50 yards? Assuming that the vital zone of a deer is about a 6in circle, that's 12MOA at 50 yards. You could probably hit that with a well-aimed rock, never mind any deer rifle you wanted to pick at random off the shelf.

Agree that .223 is a bit marginal for deer, but a cheap solution would seem to be to pick up another rifle in a more suitable calibre. Of course, if you have the bug to tinker and adapt, that is fine - but I'd just go for a cheap deer rifle because you aren't going to miss at 50 yards, and if you think you might you probably ought to reconsider the whole hunting situation!

Lycanthrope

You can miss a vital by .5 moa with the snap of a branch. Expecting a rifle that shoots better than you isn't unreasonable and is a responsible venture.