Making a Hammerless .357 snub nose revolver?

ballardw

How is momentum reduced?

In Physics, force = mass x acceleration. If the force is the same, then changing the mass must cause an inverse change in the acceleration. Bobbing the hammer reduces the mass, so that means the hammer will accelerate more/faster when the same spring force is applied. At the other end -- when the hammer impacts the firing pin, the force transferred to the firing pin and then to the primer remains unchanged.

And momentum:
A quantity used to measure the motion of a body, equal to the product of the body's mass and its velocity.

Mass x Velocity.

If the velocity is not increased enough to compensate for the removed mass the momentum is reduced.

Jim Watson

F = MA so A = F/M
If you reduce the mass by cutting off the hammer spur and keep the same force by not changing the mainspring, acceleration of the hammer will be greater. Hammer fall will therefore be faster, kinetic energy will likely be greater, depending on real world effects of rotation and friction.
But is energy what the primer is sensitive to?

jason.h

Thanks Ya'll, come to think of it I'm probably gunna carry in a fanny pack or something similar on hikes, so the hammer probably won't snag easily, so it will probably be fine as is.

DaleA

jason.h---Well for me anyway this has been an enlightening thread.

I just assumed cutting off the spur of the hammer would be no big deal. I've learned a lot on this site and a good portion of it is because people like you ask interesting questions.

DonR101395

I’ve bobbed 15-20 hammers on j frames, Taurus 605/905 revolvers and SP101s without any issues of performance. You’re not removing enough material for it to greatly affect performance. People hurt performance much more by trying to lighten trigger pull weight than just about any other modification to a revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don P

As some have stated, I have bobbed all of my revolvers hammers with the exception of my Python. I have had zero failures due to bobbing hammers. When I bobbed the hammer on my S&W model 10 snubby the weight of the material removed from the hammer weighed 2.9 grains. If 2,9 grains is going to cause a misfire then I will say the gun in question has some VERY MAJOR issues. I have 2 Ruger GP-100's and 1 of them is the match champion bobbed and the lightest spring kits you can install fro Wolf Springs and both guns will light off factory ammo as well as my reloads with trigger pulls of 7.5lbs.

Drm50

I have done many S&Ws, Js-Ks & 2 Ns. All older models with FPS mounted on hammer. Never had any trouble with any of them.