MAKAROV - HELP!

Arub

Just got back from the gun show. 9X18(?) Bulgarian Makarov's for $139. The ink is still wet on my hand. Should I go back for a couple of them? Any good? They seem compact enough to make a fine concealed carry. Info, please.

Thanks

VictorLouis

YES!:D I just read denfoote's thread about J&G Sales being OUT of their Bulgies.:( I bought one at $100, and I guess now I should've gotten a couple more. Maybe you can talk the dealer down some, if you mention J&G?????;)

glockdoc

In general maks are great guns though they do have their idiosyncracies. Maks are very reliable but if you do have a problem with your mak you can't exactly send it back to customer service. Their firing pins float freely, no firing pin spring, so that requires some special precautions (keep the firing pin channel clean and point the gun in a safe direction when chambering a round!!!!!!!!!!!!). I like my East German mak a lot but for self defense I go with my Glock 26. Reliable, safe, great sights, and a lot more firepower. I think a mak makes an ideal self defense gun for someone who can't afford something more expensive.

Check out http://www.makarov.com for loads of information. Search the message board for "misfire" and "slamfire" while your at it. Search back a few months in the archives. Then run back to the show, buy the Bulgie, and pick up 1000 rounds of ammo for ~$100 while you're at it (el-cheapo Russian ammo). Then order Pearce grips from Karl at makarov.com. Give the trigger a few hundred rounds to smooth out.

Pilot

Buy as many as you can

The Mak is utterly reliable and as good or better a defense gun as anything, including Glock. The 9MM Mak round is fine for a concealable pistol. This gun will take anything you can throw at it and not misfeed or misfire. I have five of them from all differnt countries (two Bulgies) and they are all the same...accurate, reliable, bulletproof.

Pilot

Frenchy

The Bulgarian and East German Maks are considered "Surplus", so it is true you don't have customer service. On the other hand, parts are readily available.
This is a pistol that has been in continuous service for 50 years by various Eastern Block nations and China. Very few weapons can boast of a finer record of reliability. it will stand against any gun out there for design capability. After all, it's KGB and Stasi approved.;)

Lee M.

Don't need customer service with these.

The Makarov is a very reliable and simple pistol. It has 29 total parts. That's it. I have personally completely disassembled this pistol and reassembled it in under a half hour. I was taking my time. If you do have a problem, parts are readily available for it and are inexpensive. If you ever needed help you can always go to the makarov discussion board at http://www.makarov.com. These guys are very knowledgable and friendly. I love the forum. The gun doesn't have a firing pin safety, but it does have the decocking safety which prevents the firing pin from touching the cartridge. It is a safe gun and I would trust my life to it any day.

Lee M.

Mr. glockdoc, you should always keep any pistol pointed in a safe direction no matter what kind of safety device. Even if the pistol is unloaded, you should still have muzzle control on the pistol. Everyone must know where the muzzle is at all times.

RON in PA

I own 3 Maks so I must think well of them, they are very reliable and a fantastic value, perhaps the best value currently available in a handgun. BUT I find them very uncomfortable to shoot unless they have Pierce grips and I wear a glove. Relatively high powered pistols with blowback actions are not comfortable to shoot. On the other hand I can shoot my locked-breech Glock 26 many more shots in a session with a much higher degree of comfort.

Brooks

Mak

I too have three Makarovs. You need one at least. I agree with the above posts.

I have two East Germans from Suhl and a new Russian. The cheap Stasi shoulder holsters are really funky.

You will find the accuracy on par with the best .45 cal. 1911 pistols available.

It tosses the ejected rounds into the next county. My handloaded 95 gr. rnds. are not as hot to shoot as the east European stuff. This pistol is probably the most powerful blow back pistol made.

It is recognized as the best deal out there. For $100-120 it is a blast. The HS 2000 Croatian 9mm Para for $275 may give it a run for the money.

denfoote

Bulgie Mak!!

Yeah, I was really PO'ed about not geting in on the J&G thing, especally since I only live a couple of hours from Prescott AZ. Oh well, I got my Bulgarian Makarov today. My usual gunshop had an unissued, and unfired one in the case. It was about $75 more than I would liked to have paid, ( I REALLY wanted to get in on that J&G deal :( ) but I forked over the cash, and got it anyway. :) Now I have two of these little gems. Only problem is that one is chambered in .380ACP!!!! :eek: I guess my next purchase will be a 9x18 barrel. I am hoping to find someone that has the press, so I can swap it out. I really don't want to go out, and buy one just to use it once. :rolleyes:

BTW: Arub, Come about with all due speed, and buy that Mak!!!!!

cocojo

I own two mak's on east german and one bulgarian. No question the east german one is nicer. I love both guns and they shoot great but my only worry is that free floating firing pin. It make me nervous when loading. When I unload the gun you can see a very slight indent in the primer. Why didn't they make this firing pin with a spring around it is unknown to me, probable one less part to get dirty. This issue is especially troubling when I have a 19lb wolf spring in it. I never let the slide go forward on it's own I always help it down because of this problem. Does anyone else feel this way?

Pilot

Firing pin should not be a problem

Cocojo. The free floating firing pin is no big deal. As with any gun, you must always point it in a safe direction when handling the weapon. I've NEVER had a problem with racking the slide on a loaded chamber. This gun and design has been around for more than 50 years and its combat and police proven. Just use normal safety procedures.

Pilot

Kevinch

Can't go wrong at that price

...although this is Monday morning, so I guess the show is over! I have 4 Maks - 2 unissued Bulgarian milsurps of which one is still in cosmoline, a Russian commercial (the model with the adjustable sights), and a pristine Russian milsurp. The only one I shoot is this Bulgarian milsurp, which has had some modifications and accessories added on.
View

Sooner or later I'll have an East German. I guess the finish is somewhat better on those, & reportedly the trigger pull also. The one in the pic will be going out to be refinished, but I have yet to decide what type. I may also send it out for a trigger job - but the trigger pull has smoothed out considerably from use.

Dex56

Cool! Kevinch, you're the only other guy I've seen so far...

... that's got a Nolan Hi-Drop on his carry piece. My tricked-out carry gun is a Russki IJ70, and I left my Bulgie in pretty much milspec condition. On the Bulgie, though, I did take the liberty of putting on a Makawrap with Hi-Drop - I think it's a 1-of-a-kind prototype.

Dex

Dex56

If you look at the top of the Pearce grip in the pic...

... You'll see a control lever that isn't part of a factory-standard Makarov. It's a little bent tab of steel, positioned right at the top of the grip. That's the Hi-Drop. It's a metal strip that runs down inside the grip, and fits between the frame and the bottom of the mainspring / magazine catch. Push forward on the thumb tab, and it pushes back on the mag catch.

From what I understand, these ain't fun for Nolan to make, and the price reflects it. Double-check with Karl about these, though - they may have discontinued the things. I certainly think mine was worth the $48...

Dex

Redlg155

Arub,

Thats a good price for a weapon. As for a concealed carry weapon I believe there are some better choices, but if all I could afford was a Mak, I wouldn't have a problem carrying one.

They are typically made like all Eastern block weapons, strong, generous tolerances, reliable, and relatively inexpensive to manufacture. If you ever ran out of ammo you could chunk the thing at someone and seriously hurt them!

My one and only problem I have ever had was with Federal Hrdra Shok .380 ammo (mine had the .380 barrel). I had numerous failure to feed problems with that particular pistol. I changed mags and polished the feed ramp area, but to no avail. Go figure. I no longer have that weapon- I sold it with a caution about Fed HS ammo, but I want another one. So with that caution, make sure you at least put a couple hundred rounds of ammo through your pistol to work out any "bugs" that might be in it. It scares me to think of how many people just shoot one or two mags full of ammo out of their guns and consider them ready to go.

You might also consider purchasing a .380 barrel for yours. You never know when the supply of 9x18 ammo will dry up.

Good Shooting
Red

denfoote

Yeah, OK I looked it up. Several things stand out that make me not want to get one of these.

1) I am used to the heel release on the Mak from my Russian. I am not crazy about retraining all those muscles.

2) I like the stock grips on my Mak.

3) The price is a bit expensive for the convenience.

4) Related to #2: I am not crazy about the Pierce grips for the Mak. It seems that a better design would work with the stock grips, or any grip for that matter. I makes me wonder if there wasn't some sort of "deal" made with Pierce grips.

Kevinch

DENFOOTE - there isn't a conspiracy going on...

...between Pearce & Nolan. Pearce makes *a lot* of different grips, & the package is available, as far as I know, only through Makarov.com

Not trying to flame here, but I think you might be reading more into it than there is to read :D

I have considered trying to retro fit it to one of the stock grips. You are in a minority on your opinion of the factory grips - but fortunate to be so. I think they suck, especially for extended range sessions. Be that as it may, while I find the Pearce great comfort in shooting they suck for concealed carry. So, I thought the Nolan Hi-Drop in a factory grip might be the ticket.

The problem is that the factory grips are so thin, it would be difficult to grind away a "track" for the Hi-Drop to operate in. It dosent move straight up or down, but as you push it forward at the top, the bottom pushes the mag release back & it releases. So, it needs a little bit of room to move. The Pearce grip supplied with the unit has had the track cut, or ground, away. It might be tough to do on the hard plastic of the factory grip, if there is enough material there to begin with.

They might seem expensive. But looking at the folds, bends, notched out areas, etc. of this little gizmo & knowing a little something about metal fabricating I can recognize that there would be considerable labor cost into one of these. The material would be insignificant. The grip comes with it, & they usually run around $25 so I don't think it's too bad.

But hey - to each his own. It is an easy fix if I decide I don't like it - just remove it & keep going. I've wasted $50 in much worse ways.... ;)