Magpul Glock mag?

smee78

So is anyone going to try the new Magpul Glock 9mm mags? I was thinking about picking up a few to try out but I can honestly say I've never had any problems with factory Glock mags.:confused:

WVsig

Unless price is the driving factor one would have to ask why wouldn't you just stick with the factory mags. What are factory Glock mags going for compared to the new Magpuls.

Answered my own question. Looks like Magpuls can be had for a low as $15 while factorys are a bit over $21.

Tucker 1371

I really don't see what MagPul was thinking here... Glock mags are already pretty dang reliable and durable and not terribly expensive.

It's the 1911 market that could use a cheap yet reliable option, I'm paying about $40 give or take for McCormick Power Mags and Wilsons.

LockedBreech

I must just not be as high-volume a shooter as other people. My PX4 is on the order of 6000-7000 rounds and I'm still on the original two mags without ever a bobble. I've had the gun for 6 years. So it's a savings of...$10-12 every 6 years for me. Not worth it.

But for really high volume competitors I suppose I could see the benefit. Although it's the cost of one box of ammo, so...

Hm. Actually not sure I see what Magpul was thinking either. I keep trying to find an argument for these because I like their products but..hm...

mellow_c

I'm sure Magpul figured that they have earned a reputation for producing reliable magazines. And although no one has any complaints about their factory Glock magazines, if Magpul can make them just as good and then sell them for less they will be able to steal a fair amount of sales away from Glock so as to make more money for them selves :)

Good luck to them... I won't be buying any.

mellow_c

I forgot to mention....

one of the reasons I wont be buying any is because I now live in a magazine restricted state!!!! Colorado limits us to 15 round magazines. Yes, Colorado. The Rocky Mountains.

Otherwise, if Magpul were to make a rock solid 30 round 9mm magazine for reasonably less money than a factory Glock mag, yeah, I'd probably go for it.

P.S. Good for Magpul for leaving Colorado. They did what they had to do.

9x19

More options are always welcome, but I already have plenty of Glock mags, so...

I spent my magazine money on ammo instead... you can never have too much of that! :D

A box of 50 actually cost less than an empty mag.

cheygriz

I only have 7 Glock mags.

I hate loading mags st the range. I go to the range to shoot, not to load mags.

I'll be buying at least 5 or 6 Magpuls as soon as the LGS gets them in stock.:)

I hope they will soon make mags to complete with the ridiculously expensive SIG and Browning magazines.

dayman

In my experience glock mags are more like to $25+. Sometimes less online, usually more like $30 locally. Not a bad deal by any means, but if magpul can make a reliable and widely available mag for $15, there would be some savings.
There are also a fair number of carbines that take glock mags, so they may be going for that market as much as glock pistol shooters.

I run pmags in my ar and have been quite happy with them, so if I bought a 9mm upper, I'd probably be inclined to buy 3 9mm pmags to run in it instead of 2 glock OEM mags.

BarryLee

I generally like to load as many magazines as possible before I get to the range, so having access to cheaper quality magazines isn’t a bad thing. If I was buying four magazines and saved $40 to $60 it sounds like a good deal to me.

eldorendo

Saving $6 per mag is a nonstarter for me. Besides, the Magpul mags are cheaply made...no steel liner. No way Magpuls will equal real Glock mags. Yeah, I use pmags...apples and oranges!!!

Dragline45

Since I live in a ban state and the majority of pre-ban Glock mags are the older U notch NFML (non full metal lined) I can tell you that they have a tendency to crack, this problem went away when they switched to FML (full metal lined). For this reason combined with the ability to drop free, FML preban Glock mags sell for about 1/3 more than the NFML in this state. For that reason alone I would be inclined to stick with factory FML Glock mags over all polymer Magpul mag.

Brotherbadger

In my experience glock mags are more like to $25+. Sometimes less online, usually more like $30 locally. Not a bad deal by any means, but if magpul can make a reliable and widely available mag for $15, there would be some savings.

Not to mention when they go on sale, you could be looking at glock mags for $10-12 a piece. If they are reliable(i see no reason why they wouldn't be, it's Magpul), I'd pick several up. They'd be good for range, or just to throw into a hiking pack.

Quentin2

I'm in no hurry to try these new magazines but am very interested in how they work out. Like almost everyone else, I've had excellent results with PMAGs and many other Magpul products so would never bet against them.

One area I can see a use is if you have Glocks in two calibers, especially 9mm and 40S&W - the two different style mags would greatly help in keeping the calibers separate. Right now I paint the bottom of my 9mm Glock mags silver to make them stand out from my factory black 40s. I just don't want to make a mistake at the worst possible time. (I chose silver because I first had a silver 40-9 Lone Wolf conversion barrel but now also have a G26.)